Lanai Stateroom Reserved Deck Chairs

Djptcp

I know that the Lanai passengers have two reserved deck chairs outside their stateroom and there is a small sign on them. Do you ever experience other non-Lanai passengers sitting in yours? If so, are they usually nice about moving? Have you ever had to call Guest Services or Security to get them to leave your chairs? Just curious.

We have spent 24 sea days in a lanai, on Volendam and Maasdam. At no time did we have anyone else use (or try to use) our chairs. On Volendam (June '17), the "Reserved" signs were attached to the wall behind the chairs, and were not very prominent. On Maasdam (April-May '18) there were new dark blue cloth caps for the top of the chair back with "Reserved" embroidered in large white letters. The stars steward removed these at night when he put the cushions in our cabin.

Enjoy your lanai, we loved ours! 

When HAL first converted some of the promenade deck ocean view cabins to lanais there were a few complaints from people that their private deck chairs were not honored.  I think part of the problem was that people were just so used to having *all* the deck chairs be "public", and the other part was the lack of clear designation (the signs were tiny and the chairs identical to the public chairs).  Now that people are more accustomed to the existence of lanai cabins and their accompanying chairs, and also now that the chairs are more prominently "marked", this is pretty much a non-existent problem.  I loved the lanai cabin but bear in mind they are the smallest cabins on the ship.  If you don't mind that, and the proximity of the promenade deck makes up for it in all it's wonderful expansiveness, you will love the lanai.

Edited by Moriah

19 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

THANKYOU

Denise😊

Glad to help. These are large and unambiguous, unlike the small plaques with too much text that we saw on Volendam in June 2017. I suspect they're also far easier to replace: the ones I saw on Volendam were weathered and not very readable (not to mention being attached to the ship). I took a picture of those, too, and will post if I can find it in the mass of photos from that trip. 

15 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

I appreciate the responds. We were on Rhe Maasdam last year on Feb-Mar doing the South America cruise and at that time they did not have those embroidered reserve signs on The chairs.

Denise😊

The cloth signs looked really new in late April last year, probably not more than a few weeks old. 

12 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Were you in a lanai room?! 

Denise😊

Twice, and loved it. The first time (our first cruise) was an Alaska-Yukon-cruise trip, and the second was the Panama Canal trip. It seems prices have gone up considerably since then. 

Will be on The Rotterdam next March Panama Canal to FLL than off on Oceania a few day later to Rome on a TA. We thought it would be nice to do a lanai on our next cruise . Everyone who is the lanais seemed happy and enjoyed the promenade! We decided to do that instead of a suite because we could be right out front of the action!! Yes they ate smaller but we thought it would be fun and we enjoy our walks and what better than walking out of your room! We asked for a fridge and I know space is premium!

thanks for the info!

Denise😊

we finally have warm weather here in San Diego which is nice

The lanais are snug,  but quite nice. Our only (very small) gripe is that the love seat is really only fit those who are quite small of beam, or very, very close. As you point out, bring able to just walk out the door into that beautiful, wide deck can be worth the price.

I did indeed have a problem with people helping themselves to my "reserved" deck chairs, and several of them were quite unpleasant about moving, including playing the "I don't speak English" card (when I'd heard them conversing in fluent English). I didn't have to go as far as calling security, but did mention that I was going to do so a couple of times. This was on a Canadian cruise on the Veendam, about 4 years ago. 

On 3/31/2019 at 8:06 PM, kwb101 said:

The lanais are snug,  but quite nice. Our only (very small) gripe is that the love seat is really only fit those who are quite small of beam, or very, very close. As you point out, bring able to just walk out the door into that beautiful, wide deck can be worth the price.

Those love seats don’t fit those who are small fore to aft when they want to nap on them, either. It’s sort of “draping oneself” over them with the legs hanging off. IIRC the outside measurements were 42” and the bedside stands (and walk space) was 18”. Veendam.

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Those love seats don’t fit those who are small fore to aft when they want to nap on them, either. It’s sort of “draping oneself” over them with the legs hanging off. IIRC the outside measurements were 42” and the bedside stands (and walk space) was 18”. Veendam.

You have hit the nail on the head: they're not quite doll-house-size, but close. About all you can do semi-comfortably is sit in them. Naps would not be fun.

I forgot to add one caution about lanais: the sliding door is very heavy, difficult to push open (I'm 6 feet tall, and not exactly weak), and wants to stay closed. As a result, you will quickly learn to go through the door quickly, lest you get squished like a bug (to quote "South Park").

9 minutes ago, floridacruisers said:

With the lights on inside the lanai cabin and dark outside, can you see anything in the cabin from the outside? The mirror is supposed to block out all view of the inside of the cabin or are they translucent vs opaque?

I think you'd have difficulty seeing into the cabin at night; it's pretty much impossible during the day. Don't forget that there are fairly bright lights on the deck at night, which also make it difficult to see through the mirroring. We always closed our blackout curtains at night, leaving them open a couple of inches.

i should mention that on one ship, the curtain was a single piece that pulled from one side, while the one on the other ship was two pieces that met in the middle. We preferred the latter at night, because the gap we left let more light into the cabin. One ship was Volendam, the other Maasdam.

28 minutes ago, kwb101 said:

I think you'd have difficulty seeing into the cabin at night; it's pretty much impossible during the day. Don't forget that there are fairly bright lights on the deck at night, which also make it difficult to see through the mirroring. We always closed our blackout curtains at night, leaving them open a couple of inches.

i should mention that on one ship, the curtain was a single piece that pulled from one side, while the one on the other ship was two pieces that met in the middle. We preferred the latter at night, because the gap we left let more light into the cabin. One ship was Volendam, the other Maasdam.

Thanks again for the great additional info.

I remember when we were on The Maasdam last year several people were trying to run quickly through their slider to get outside, and seeing the door seemed heavy to slide open.

Denise😊

My DH  and   I   could   fit(snugly) on   the   couch   but   we   are   not  tall. We   loved   the   lanai  cabin(Veendam  twice)  in   spite   of   the   upper   extremity   exercise involving   door   opening. As   an   early  morning   riser  it   felt   as   if   I   had   the   lovely   Promenade   deck  to   myself. I   do   remember  having   to   ask   one   difficult   couple   to  vacate  the   lounge   chair. Otherwise,it   was   fine.

As I mentioned, we didn't have any problem with deck-chair poachers, and didn't notice any on either of the trips. I did enjoy sitting there, watching the ocean go by, and talking with the inevitable walkers (there were quite a few on Maasdam). It was an unexpected bonus.

One thing: there are unreserved deck chairs on either end of the lanai section, plus a couple near the doors that go inside.

3 hours ago, floridacruisers said:

With the lights on inside the lanai cabin and dark outside, can you see anything in the cabin from the outside? The mirror is supposed to block out all view of the inside of the cabin or are they translucent vs opaque?

Phil.............floridacruisers

Phil.... when I first saw the" Lanai cabins"  it made me think of the red light district in Amsterdam where you could look in windows to  see a "show"      I wonder, at night can  non lanai passengers turn the chairs around and watch the cabins going-on 

Might be better then the theater shows.   

Phil.... when I first saw the" Lanai cabins"  it made me think of the red light district in Amsterdam where you could look in windows to  see a "show"      I wonder, at night can  non lanai passengers turn the chairs around and watch the cabins going-on 

Hawaiidan......Now that you mention it, it does sort of look like Amsterdam's red light district. However, given the average age and looks of HAL's passengers, I don't think I would watch the goings on. Something once seen can't be unseen:classic_wacko:

Phil........floridacruisers

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, floridacruisers said:

Hawaiidan......Now that you mention it, it does sort of look like Amsterdam's red light district. However, given the average age and looks of HAL's passengers, I don't think I would watch the goings on. Something once seen can't be unseen:classic_wacko:

Phil........floridacruisers

We weren't afraid of folks seeing us, we were afraid they'd laugh. 

• Haha 1

I think whether you can see in depends on the cabin. My guess is some has been replaced with a different formulation of the “non-see-through stuff.” 

I know my window on Veendam was not “see through-able” as I checked it with the light on inside and my nose to the glass outside. (Someone easily could have reported me as a peeping Tom. )

Ive noticed several cabins on Volendam that you could see all the way into from the rail of the promenade deck....😬😩 and the people inside. There was at least one lanai on Veendam that wasn’t real “private”... my lanai was “private”.