Gala Night Attire

ScottC4746

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

OP, I'm curious how this new topic covers any ground that wasn't already covered in your recent post on this same question in which you received a great deal of advice and a link to the actual HAL dress code? Are you just stirring the pot?

I think the OP stated in their post why they were asking it again, here, that they saw that the other post was blowing up and they wanted a clear response. We have all cheerfully and politely responded to the OP's original question and there appears to have been no pot stirring until your post. You didn't have to respond. We were all happy to. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

If you can’t return the suit, maybe someday he can use it on Princess, Cunard, etc.  He probably won’t feel out of place if he wears it on your Holland cruise, though.

Wait, is Princess dressier than Holland America?  I always thought HAL was more formal.  

1 hour ago, Sailor Taylor said:

Wait, is Princess dressier than Holland America?  I always thought HAL was more formal.  

Based on a couple of Caribbean cruises on Princess, my impression is that a lot of their passengers enjoy the formal nights.  Same for HAL, but I guess I’d just say that HAL might be trending toward less formal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, jargey3000 said:

yikes! will i look out of place in my "best" jeans, & maybe one of those not-too-tacky "hawaiian" shirts!

Sadly you won't.

There really is no dress code anymore on HAL whether it's "gala" night or not.   On my recent Oosterdam cruise perhaps 10% of men had a tie the rest anything from jeans and whatever shirt that was dry.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

Based on a couple of Caribbean cruises on Princess, my impression is that a lot of their passengers enjoy the formal nights.  Same for HAL, but I guess I’d just say that HAL might be trending toward less formal.

We've only done 3 Princess cruises (Asia, Mexico, Caribbean) and also find that people do tend to dress up a bit more on Princess than we have seen lately on HAL.

I personally do not care what people wear to the dining on any given night.  My  and my DW's only request is that people be respectful of others in the dining room and enjoy the company of loved ones,  dear friends and new friends they have made on board.   If you want to dress up in a tux or long grown and tiara (lol) go for it and enjoy it, if you don't thats ok too.  I personally feel a nice pair of jeans/slacks, collared or polo shirt and loafers for myself and a pair of jeans/slacks, nice top or casual dress  for my wife is fine for any night on any cruise.  If you don't want to change  out of the shorts, tee shirt and sandals head to the Lido as we have noticed more people are doing every cruise we have taken on four different cruise lines.  Also, we have done 2 Princess cruises and 2 HAL cruises in the last 3 years and the majority of people are not dressing formally any more on gala/formal nights.  

On 4/1/2019 at 5:40 PM, AncientWanderer said:

Seriously, ScottC4746, let your DH do what he wants.  Mine used to wear a tuxedo, then bought a black suit specifically for cruises, and he LIKES wearing it.  I'm usually the one who says, "Oh, screw it, nobody is dressed up; just wear the slacks and dress shirt."  But he likes to make the evening a little more "special" and so he happily puts on the suit and I follow his lead with a cocktail dress.   If your DH thinks it's a pain in the a-- to wear the suit, he doesn't need to!  Clean, pressed and a collar seems to be the look in the MDR these days, and that's okay.   

In short....you know your DH.  Let him enjoy his cruise.  No matter what, the suit will come in handy sometime.

Sorry I did not think I had to go into the personal side of me I don't care to make public but obviously I have to.  When you suffer from social anxiety disorder, making sure you are dressed correctly is a legitimate fear and concern.  I wish everyone spent one day in our shoes to see what it is like.  I do worry about sticking out, and being one of the ones I see posters trashing on here about what they wear in the main dining room.  Please forgive me.  I am now crawling back under my rock.

1 hour ago, ScottC4746 said:

Sorry I did not think I had to go into the personal side of me I don't care to make public but obviously I have to.  When you suffer from social anxiety disorder, making sure you are dressed correctly is a legitimate fear and concern.  I wish everyone spent one day in our shoes to see what it is like.  I do worry about sticking out, and being one of the ones I see posters trashing on here about what they wear in the main dining room.  Please forgive me.  I am now crawling back under my rock.

No...please forgive me if I touched a nerve.  

Please enjoy your cruise.  My point was that there will be no pressure and you'll be just fine, God bless you.

8 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Sorry I did not think I had to go into the personal side of me I don't care to make public but obviously I have to.  When you suffer from social anxiety disorder, making sure you are dressed correctly is a legitimate fear and concern.  I wish everyone spent one day in our shoes to see what it is like.  I do worry about sticking out, and being one of the ones I see posters trashing on here about what they wear in the main dining room.  Please forgive me.  I am now crawling back under my 

Oh no! Social anxiety is the pits. The problem is there really is a huge variety so it's hard to say what people will wear. You certainly wont stand out whatever you wear. My husband says just tell us what cruise you are on, we'll join you. DH will wear a pink tux and tiara no one will even notice your handsome hubby. I hope whatever you wear you have fun.

19 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

I do feel for you, if you do worry about these things...

But please, don't worry about any of the opinions given by us dorks (self included!) here on these threads! WE'RE the ones with the problem!

Remember, only a very minute  fragment of cruise passengers troll these threads. Who cares about what we have to say? All the 'normal' people don't bother. They just go, & have a good time & enjoy themselves. As my dear, departed mother-in-law used to say ..."ta HELL with it!"

You be one of THOSE people ...please!! :)

Edited by jargey3000

21 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Please don't crawl back under the rock....if anxiety was an Olympic sport I'd win Gold for Canada.  I understand exactly how you feel.  I envy those who "just don't care", but I do - and being inappropriately dressed can ruin an evening for me.  I promise you - hand on heart - that your husband will definitely NOT be out of place in his suit.  Ignore the snarky comments about Main Dining Room attire.  He, in his suit (or sports coat, or long sleeved shirt & tie, or collared shirt or polo shirt - whatever he chooses), will be completely appropriate.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 4:13 PM, peiguy48 said:

I personally do not care what people wear to the dining on any given night........................  If you don't want to change  out of the shorts, tee shirt and sandals head to the Lido .......

So you actually do care what people wear to the dining room.