Need input on my first solo cruise on the Indy.

I managed to convince my SIL to cruise with me on my birthday  cruise on HAL in November.   Now I am planning an 8 night Southern Caribbean to ABC islands in early Feb, SOLO.

I have been to Aruba but have always wanted to see Bonaire and Curacao.

I kind of wanted to HAL again but they only had a ten day and I don't know if I should do my "first" solo for so long.

I read that the Indy is "family friendly" but I was looking at the Solarium pool and that decided it for me!  Looks fab!

I also like that it has four at sea days.  I want to commit, but the prices right now seem a bit high verandah 2950$?

Should I wait or commit now?  Prices up or down, that is the question?

How much is the price for 2.... sometimes it is cheaper than the solo price as other cabin category grades open up (like guarantees)

I do solo TAs for 14 days.  Fab "me" time!

If the price drops they honour price drops up until final payment date.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I see no advantage to waiting if you are committed to the cruise.

OK, here is a quandary for me.  I did three different price check TAs, RCI, Big box and another big cruise seller.

RCI gave no "extras" but price was the same.  Big box some OBC and other TA some OBC.. very small price difference.

40 minutes ago, little britain said:

How much is the price for 2.... sometimes it is cheaper than the solo price as other cabin category grades open up (like guarantees)

I do solo TAs for 14 days.  Fab "me" time!

If the price drops they honour price drops up until final payment date.

Remember that solo means you pay for two except for taxes.  

6 hours ago, squadron said:

Remember that solo means you pay for two except for taxes.  

Not necessarily.......

and you get the taxes back when your roomie is a no show.  👀  at the prices below.....

You are paying £419pp if there are 2 of you or £1729 if there is one! That is double to travel solo....

35553062-8A51-4D52-8C2F-97F1B95B0B10.png

55686B78-443C-48CD-9610-9178CED15BEA.png

Edited by little britain

7 hours ago, Judyrem said:

I managed to convince my SIL to cruise with me on my birthday  cruise on HAL in November.   Now I am planning an 8 night Southern Caribbean to ABC islands in early Feb, SOLO.

I have been to Aruba but have always wanted to see Bonaire and Curacao.

I kind of wanted to HAL again but they only had a ten day and I don't know if I should do my "first" solo for so long.

I read that the Indy is "family friendly" but I was looking at the Solarium pool and that decided it for me!  Looks fab!

I also like that it has four at sea days.  I want to commit, but the prices right now seem a bit high verandah 2950$?

My general guideline for a non-Oasis class ship Solo is $200 per day. That assumes an Promenade View "interior".  For example my next 9 day Southern cruise on Explorer is $160/day. I always go solo. It's the perfect cruise for me. Good luck. 

Actually it around 3220$ INCLUDING NRD.  

That is a very good price John, but I  really "need" a balcony for my own sanity.👀😳  I love to just stare at the ocean, I could do it all day.

Little Britain, that is a very interesting itinerary!

1 hour ago, Judyrem said:

That is a very good price John, but I  really "need" a balcony for my own sanity.👀😳  I love to just stare at the ocean, I could do it all day.

Well, you have to weigh price versus sanity. The PV's don't have the coffin effect of a normal interior. Especially when you're going solo. Lots of room and there's lots of other places to enjoy ocean viewing. But, I get the balcony thing. We're all different. 

Edited by Johnamac123

Good idea brillohead.

BTW, I made a HUGE mistake,  the ship was not the Indy but Adventure of the Seas!  I guess I forgot to take my briainbox pill!😉

Last night I had to do a major search for info about it!  Yikes!

They keep on offering an aft balcony 9  deck with "obstructed" views and had to do research....

I am going to call RCI and try to bargain a bit.    You never know!

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

If only CC would let people find roommates....  

I know group cruises will offer this but for me I'd always choose solo over stranger - heck I'd choose solo over some friends I've traveled with - we just had completely different patterns needs - one wanted a light on at night, one the tv, I prefer dark and quiet, well different white noise.  One chased all sunrises, one took hours to get ready.  I did one solo cruise and it was worth the double price - and grrr, it would have been worth 2 points a night except I did it in 2012 before that took effect!  

17 hours ago, Judyrem said:

not sure what NRD means.

I did a solo in February on the Grandeur in 2017.  Granted, I was in an interior, but I got the interior for 997 for a 9 night.  Best price ever.  I did it again the next year for 1047.  Same ship and itinerary, 9 nights.  If you need a balcony, I can understand that though.

I did it!  I booked! I booked an aft cabin with a partial obstruction but I looked at all the pics and reviews and talked to the rep and he said I would love it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deck 9 aft, Yey for me!

shillyshally, I agree with you about some friends I have traveled with who were NOT the traveling companion (France travel) I thought they would be!👀🙄😮.  I almost couldn't wait to go home! 😉  I knew them for years but never TRAVELED with them without their husbands.

The rep said I have an option to add someone, but if I do (I doubt it), it would someone especially relaxed about traveling.😉

1 minute ago, Judyrem said:

The rep said I have an option to add someone, but if I do (I doubt it), it would someone especially relaxed about traveling.😉

However small that chance is, it's better to put a second person there now, instead of trying to add them later - it doesn't affect the end cost.

14 hours ago, Biker19 said:

However small that chance is, it's better to put a second person there now, instead of trying to add them later - it doesn't affect the end cost.

Actually, according to my travel agent, I'm always price-protected to add a second person at any time when I've paid the 200% single supplement.  

The stories about not being able to add a person because the muster station is full only applies to adding a third or fourth person to a room.  All double-occupancy rooms are guaranteed to be able to book two people. They hold that second berth's spot on the muster station even if there aren't two people booked in the room. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

I would not take the chance given there’s no cost impact. 

You have to pay the additional person's deposit up front, and you get charged for the port taxes at final payment.  The taxes do get refunded ultimately, but there is a period of time that RCI has your money unnecessarily.

My TA was one of RCI's top sellers last year, so I'm pretty confident that he knows what he's talking about.  I specifically mentioned putting in a fake passenger on my last few bookings "just in case" and he counseled me against it, because the second passenger is always held aside for possible booking (other than in a studio room, obviously) and he confirmed that they would be added in at my current price, not repriced at the time I added them.  (I have paid the full 200% single supplement in each case.)  I did add a second person to one cruise, and the pricing was maintained at the original rate. 

The only time it's to your benefit to add an extra person is for a third or fourth occupant.  We've all seen plenty of stories of not being able to add a third or fourth person to a room because the muster station is full ... but can you cite a single case of a single occupancy not being able to book their second occupant?