Driving to Red Hook

2Oldpeopleinlove

We're booked on the round trip TA on QM2 for Dec 8-22, and we live in Syracuse. We've reserved a hotel in Brooklyn for the night before, but now an important gig has come up for my husband to play Santa Claus in Syracuse on Dec 7. So, I’m thinking we can rent a one-way car and make the drive starting early on Dec 8. Mileage calculators say it's 4 1/2 to 5 hours. Adding a couple hours for potential slowdowns should be sufficient as it's a Sunday, right?

which airport would be the least challenging to drop the drop the rental car and get a cab to the terminal? Or is this crazy and we should drive overnight to get there?

34 minutes ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

We're booked on the round trip TA on QM2 for Dec 8-22, and we live in Syracuse. We've reserved a hotel in Brooklyn for the night before, but now an important gig has come up for my husband to play Santa Claus in Syracuse on Dec 7. So, I’m thinking we can rent a one-way car and make the drive starting early on Dec 8. Mileage calculators say it's 4 1/2 to 5 hours. Adding a couple hours for potential slowdowns should be sufficient as it's a Sunday, right?

which airport would be the least challenging to drop the drop the rental car and get a cab to the terminal? Or is this crazy and we should drive overnight to get there?

Interesting challenge. December, could be good weather, could be a blizzard. If it were me, two options, First , cancel the gig. Second, Fly down on an early Sunday am flight. You will still have the weather issues. You will have paid a lot of money for this round trip crossing and you don't want to miss the boat, and loose your money and your trip. 

Airport to drop the car you're going to most likely be best off with Newark given that it will be on the way as you come in from Syracuse (assuming you take 81S to 380 to 80E). LaGuardia and JFK I think are physically closer to Red Hook (dont quote me on that exactly) but the way you'll be driving in Newark will stop you from going out of your way. There will also be rental car offices for all the major companies in Manhattan but might not be any easier. 

From there I would just grab a quick Uber over as you'll most likely be a bit pressed for time. 

• Like 1

Hertz, Thrifty Avis, Budget and Enterprise all have drop off locations in Brooklyn with Hertz and Avis near Red Hook. You might give them a call and see what their Sunday hours are. These are far closer than either LGA or JFK. 

Edited by Bigmike911

Thank you both! This is important because he's replacing as Santa a friend who just died, and his wife, Mrs. Claus among many other characters, needs to feel she has someone she can depend on. 

Thanks again for your kind replies.

Edited by 2Oldpeopleinlove

Yes. We seem to have a single option for the train, which will be our first choice if we can confirm it. But we drive a very old car and it never goes on road trips. Renting occasionally is far more cost effective for us. (We are very frugal in order to fund non frugal travels.)

• Like 2

As long as you're prepared for the significant drop fee on a one-way US rental, this seems like the best idea. I don't really trust Amtrak for same-day travel into NYC although it may be how we get to New York in June.

Hi , There is the weather consideration as you live in the Snow Belt-but were I you, I would drive to NYC right after the Santa Claus event-if you are able and book a room in Brooklyn. You’ll be able to get a few hours sleep before you embark on the 8th. Bon Voyage!

1 hour ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

We just paid a one-way fee in the auK, and it wasn't bad: about $61 on a two-week rental picked up 8n Manchester but dropped at a Heathrow. Is it generally much more here?

Actually it should be OK. 

I just looked at Hertz online, doing two different scenarios:

1) Rent at Syracuse Airport on Dec 7, return to rental location within 24 hours. Compact car (e.g. Ford Focus) rental: $98 total with taxes & fees. 

2) Rent at Syracuse Airport on Dec 7, return in Park Slope Brooklyn within 24 hours. Compact car rental: $103.86 total with taxes & fees. 

I'm pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 1

Hi 2 Oldpeopleinlove,

My husband and I are traveling on May 5 and faced the same issue.  After reviewing many configurations, renting one ways is the best time and money wise, even with the drop off fee.  Yes, there are cheaper methods but you also need to keep the luggage factor in mind. 

Happy planning,

Phillyrose

• Like 1