Recommendations for our 2 days post cruise greatly appreciated!

styles27

Hi, 

We’ll be disembarking in Civitevecchia on Sunday May5th and won’t be flying home until Tuesday May 7th (3pm flight)

We’re spending 4 days precruise in Rome, so we’ll have seen all of the touristy things in that area.

We would love to visit Tuscany but not sure if our schedule is too tight.

We’ve never been to Italy so we’re open to suggestions.  We enjoy vineyards, the beach, great food and at that point in our vacation we’d like to wind down after 2 weeks of sightseeing.

So, if you had 2 days what would you do?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, styles27 said:

Hi, 

We’ll be disembarking in Civitevecchia on Sunday May5th and won’t be flying home until Tuesday May 7th (3pm flight)

We’re spending 4 days precruise in Rome, so we’ll have seen all of the touristy things in that area.

We would love to visit Tuscany but not sure if our schedule is too tight.

We’ve never been to Italy so we’re open to suggestions.  We enjoy vineyards, the beach, great food and at that point in our vacation we’d like to wind down after 2 weeks of sightseeing.

So, if you had 2 days what would you do?

There are several possibilities, but if your flight is out of Rome I probably wouldn't stray TOO far. Also, how are you thinking of getting around?  By train? Renting a car and driving?  Makes a big difference in what I would recommend.

If you don't have a car, I'd suggest going directly to Florence after you disembark the ship and spending your time there. You can spend at least one day doing things in Florence and perhaps have a more laid back day arranging a private or small group tour to several nearby vineyards to see a bit more of the area. You'll need to start back to Rome in the morning on Tuesday in order to be at the airport by around noon, so that day doesn't add much. Mondays in Florence are unfortunately the day when most museums and sites are closed, so take that into consideration also. (So getting there straightaway on Sunday will let you see the highlights on that day...)

If that sounds more strenuous than you want, you could consider getting yourself to either Orvieto or Tivoli and spending your time in a more leisurely way there. Each place has things worth seeing and is very charming.

Beaches along the coast in Lazio are not that great and it's early season in Italy for that. With your limited time it's not worth going to Amalfi Coast (and you may already have visited it on your cruise.)

Of course I can't end without saying that in 4 days you will only have scratched the surface in Rome, and that if it were me, I'd just stay there for the last couple of days and instead of rushing around, sit in some piazzas, eat great food, visit some of the markets, and people-watch...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

There are several possibilities, but if your flight is out of Rome I probably wouldn't stray TOO far. Also, how are you thinking of getting around?  By train? Renting a car and driving?  Makes a big difference in what I would recommend.

If you don't have a car, I'd suggest going directly to Florence after you disembark the ship and spending your time there. You can spend at least one day doing things in Florence and perhaps have a more laid back day arranging a private or small group tour to several nearby vineyards to see a bit more of the area. You'll need to start back to Rome in the morning on Tuesday in order to be at the airport by around noon, so that day doesn't add much. Mondays in Florence are unfortunately the day when most museums and sites are closed, so take that into consideration also. (So getting there straightaway on Sunday will let you see the highlights on that day...)

If that sounds more strenuous than you want, you could consider getting yourself to either Orvieto or Tivoli and spending your time in a more leisurely way there. Each place has things worth seeing and is very charming.

Beaches along the coast in Lazio are not that great and it's early season in Italy for that. With your limited time it's not worth going to Amalfi Coast (and you may already have visited it on your cruise.)

Of course I can't end without saying that in 4 days you will only have scratched the surface in Rome, and that if it were me, I'd just stay there for the last couple of days and instead of rushing around, sit in some piazzas, eat great food, visit some of the markets, and people-watch...

Cruisemom42 thank you so very much for your feedback.  We are trying to avoid renting a car because of the driving zone restrictions but we realize it would give us the greatest freedom so it’s not off the table yet.  

I would love to visit Florence, I’m just worried about our time constraints and I didn’t realize a lot of places are closed on Monday’s, so thank you for that information.

I like your last suggestion of just absorbing more of Rome’s offerings in a laid back way...we are doing 4 tours on our cruise and I think we’ll be pretty tired when we get off the ship.  

We were thinking this would be our one and only trip to Italy, but I think we will be back because I’d love to spend a week in the Tuscan region, and another in the Amalfi coast etc.  

Thanks again for all of your help...I think we’re leaning towards staying in Rome the last 2 days. 

• Like 1

Glad it was helpful. There is something to be said for just lingering at a cafe on Piazza Navona or in front of the Pantheon and enjoying being in Rome. Or just popping into random churches as you walk by them to see some amazing interiors.

Over the years I've spent a lot of time in Rome so if you want any ideas of places to see or visit at the end of your trip, feel free to ask. The Appia Antica and catacombs are nice on a Sunday as the road is closed to most vehicular traffic. Or take a stroll in the gardens around the Villa Borghese, a popular activity for locals on Sunday afternoons.

On Mondays some museums are also closed in Rome, but others such as the Capitoline Museum (with wonderful views over the Roman Forum and a nice restaurant with a terrace looking toward Rome where you can enjoy a break with a glass of wine....) and the Vatican are open.  You can visit the Baths of Caracalla until 2pm (well worth it). In late afternoon you might consider one of the wandering food tours.

I think you'll probably be like many of us and return to Italy again and again. There's so much to see there and such variety within a small country that it's worth many trips to explore it all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Glad it was helpful. There is something to be said for just lingering at a cafe on Piazza Navona or in front of the Pantheon and enjoying being in Rome. Or just popping into random churches as you walk by them to see some amazing interiors.

Over the years I've spent a lot of time in Rome so if you want any ideas of places to see or visit at the end of your trip, feel free to ask. The Appia Antica and catacombs are nice on a Sunday as the road is closed to most vehicular traffic. Or take a stroll in the gardens around the Villa Borghese, a popular activity for locals on Sunday afternoons.

On Mondays some museums are also closed in Rome, but others such as the Capitoline Museum (with wonderful views over the Roman Forum and a nice restaurant with a terrace looking toward Rome where you can enjoy a break with a glass of wine....) and the Vatican are open.  You can visit the Baths of Caracalla until 2pm (well worth it). In late afternoon you might consider one of the wandering food tours.

I think you'll probably be like many of us and return to Italy again and again. There's so much to see there and such variety within a small country that it's worth many trips to explore it all.

We are staying at an airbnb about 10 min from the Vatican before our cruise.  We’d like to be in a more centrally located spot for our last 2 nights, any suggestions as to what area would be walking distance to restaurants etc.? 

Our niece is studying in Viterbo this semester, which is the purpose of our visit, she will be with us the 4 days before our cruise, so we’ll have our own Italian speaking private tour guide! lol But we’re on our own the last 2 days.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, styles27 said:

We are staying at an airbnb about 10 min from the Vatican before our cruise.  We’d like to be in a more centrally located spot for our last 2 nights, any suggestions as to what area would be walking distance to restaurants etc.? 

Our niece is studying in Viterbo this semester, which is the purpose of our visit, she will be with us the 4 days before our cruise, so we’ll have our own Italian speaking private tour guide! lol But we’re on our own the last 2 days.

The most central area (from which you can get anywhere easily on foot except for the Vatican) is the area radiating from around the Pantheon to Trevi Fountain on one side to Piazza Navona on the other. If you look for a place in the vicinity of the Pantheon you would be very central with lots of good options for restaurants, safe to walk around in the evening, etc.

Just be sure you actually map what you're considering. Rome hotels (and probably BnBs) are notorious for saying they are only "steps" from a particular landmark, when they are actually quite a distance. 

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2

Here is another thought, depending on the last port before you get to Rome, you can leave the ship early. We have done this several times and is allowed in Europe with advanced notice.

For example, if your last port is Naples, you can leave the ship in the morning with your luggage and spend a few days in Amalifi then take train back to Rome for your flight.  

We did this pre-cruise and joined the cruise on the 2nd day in Naples. That way we saved a day of traveling by avoiding the trip out to Civi. 

I will think out loud about the logistics.  When you say visit Tuscany, understand that Tuscany is a large region (we have spent months exploring that region).  While I might normally agree that you should just go to Florence, the fact that you have a Tuesday flight out of Rome makes that somewhat of a pain.  Sure, you could get off the ship on Sunday, and probably get yourself to Florence by noon...via the trains.  This assumes you can easily handle your own luggage since nobody is going to help you at the train stations.  But you would want to be at FCO by noon on Tuesday which would mean leaving Florence very early in the morning (always allow extra time in case the trains are running late).  Personally, if we were staying in Florence on Sunday night we would probably take a later Mon train to Rome and spend the last night near the airport.   That is a lot of hassle for one night in Florence.

I do like the idea of an early disembarkation at the previous port...which gives you another land day.  Doing this depends on your cruise line (you should seek permission well in advance off your cruise) and which port.  But Naples or Livorno (these are the most common ports before getting to Civitavecchia) both work.  If you can get off at Livorno then it does make a lot of sense to take the train to Florence for your land days.  From Naples, you would have the Amalfi Coast or perhaps you might want to spend a night on Capri :).

The idea of spending the last nights in Rome does make the most sense.  You could consider a day trip out to Tivoli so some other option outside of Rome, but Rome is certainly worthy of more then a few days.  

One other thing about renting cars.  It can be difficult to rent a car on a Sunday in Civitavecchia so it takes planning and booking far in advance.   For example, the Europcar franchise is only open for 1 hour on Sundays and Hertz usually has limited hours.

Hank

Thanks everyone. That’s an interesting idea about leaving the ship the last port day. Will have to keep that in mind for next time. 

Our last stop is Genoa, we’re cruising on MSC Divina. 

We ended up booking a hotel near the Pantheon area per cruisemom’s recommendation. 

We decided we don’t want to rush through Florence (and seeing I’ve had two spine surgeries I especially can’t rush around a train station with heavy luggage. )

I feel better about just staying the last two nights in Rome so we’re closer to the airport. 

I think we’ll be planning another trip to Italy so we can really enjoy some time in the Tuscan region. 😊

So much to see, so little time!

• 1 month later...
On 4/6/2019 at 1:04 PM, cruisemom42 said:

We are taking a TA on Celebrity Edge and will disembark at CIVITAVECCHIA on May 4.  We would like to spend 2 days in Rome and return to Florida on the 6th.  Looking for help with getting to Rome, hotels to stay in, excursions to take and then how to get to the airport for the flight back.  Thank you in advance.

OP, just another idea for you.  We have done several day trips from Rome with a company called City Wonders.  They were full day trips, leaving Rome at 7am and returning around 7 pm.  We did one to Tuscany that included the towns of Montepulciano and Pienza, and a visit and meal at winery.  Transport was a comfy coach and the guide was excellent.  

We also did a day to Pompeii and Sorrento, again with an excellent guide.  For this tour, they put us on the high-speed train out of Rome's Termini station to Naples, where our guide met us and we boarded a comfy coach to Pompeii.  This was a small group tour, only 12 of us.  Again an excellent experience with a great guide.

I know you only get a small taste of each of the areas, but we saw a lot and had really good times.  I would strongly recommend this company.

If you did this on the Monday, you could spend a lazy day in Rome on the Sunday.

Edited by Daisyloo

1 hour ago, nicksmom67 said:

We are taking a TA on Celebrity Edge and will disembark at CIVITAVECCHIA on May 4.  We would like to spend 2 days in Rome and return to Florida on the 6th.  Looking for help with getting to Rome, hotels to stay in, excursions to take and then how to get to the airport for the flight back.  Thank you in advance.

Getting to Rome:  Easiest is be private transfer. A private car for two will cost around 120-140 euro however. A shared shuttle is just as easy but costs around 70/euro per couple. Only downside is that you will share with others (you don't have to recruit them) and the van may make a few stops before reaching your hotel or apartment. I have used the shared shuttle company romashuttle.com successfully as have others to whom I've recommended them. You can also take the train but it is a bit of a schlep with luggage in two. Still, the cost is only a few euro per person.

Hotels:  Pick a hotel in the Centro Storico, the historic center of Rome. I like the area around the Pantheon and Piazza Navona, but hotels around Trevi Fountain and Campo dei Fiori are also very central. It is difficult to make recommendations for specific hotels without having a price range. On the higher end, I love Albergo del Senato. More modest choices that I like are Albergo Santa Chiara and Hotel Smeraldo (cheaper but is very small and books up quickly).

Excursions:  If it is your first trip to Rome, there is much to do IN Rome, so don't plan any excursions outside the city. You can visit the Colosseum and Vatican on your own or with a tour. I assume the dates you give are for 2020, in which case May 4 is a Monday and a few sites are closed but both the Vatican and Colosseum are open. Really, the sky is the limit when it comes to options, so I would suggest you do some reading and decide what is important to you. If the Vatican museum is one of your "must see" highlights, consider a private tour that gets you in early, before the crowds. There are also some after-hours evening tours during the peak season. The Colosseum can also get very crowded but it is easier to do and understand on your own -- I do recommend getting your tickets in advance, however.

Getting to the Airport:  A taxi will charge a flat fare of 48 euro from any hotel in the central part of Rome to the airport. Your hotel can call one for you. There is no need for a more expensive transfer. 

If you have more specific questions, it might be good to start a separate thread for them, so they don't get skipped over. 

Edited by cruisemom42

So many times we never really see a place because we are so focused on rushing from key site to key site, it would be a gift to yourself to have a couple of unplanned days, free to just absorb what's around you.

If that feels just too loosey-goosey for you, maybe plan one thing to do each day and let the rest of the day flow from there.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2019 at 11:32 AM, cruisemom42 said:

On the higher end, I love Albergo del Senato. More modest choices that I like are Albergo Santa Chiara and Hotel Smeraldo

@cruisemom42  I totally agree about staying in the Centro Storico.  I've read your recommendation of the Albergo del Senato many times in this forum, and of course the hotel looks amazing.  My question for you, given its location, is what about noise?  Any problems with noise in the rooms facing the Pantheon (or elsewhere)?  It's so noisy and crowded in that square....  I can't imagine you'd love that hotel as much as you do if there were noise problems, but I wanted to ask.

What about the other two that you have recommended, in terms of noise issues?

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

@cruisemom42  I totally agree about staying in the Centro Storico.  I've read your recommendation of the Albergo del Senato many times in this forum, and of course the hotel looks amazing.  My question for you, given its location, is what about noise?  Any problems with noise in the rooms facing the Pantheon (or elsewhere)?  It's so noisy and crowded in that square....  I can't imagine you'd love that hotel as much as you do if there were noise problems, but I wanted to ask.

What about the other two that you have recommended, in terms of noise issues?

Thanks! 

The Albergo del Senato has excellent triple-glazed windows. With the windows closed there is virtually no noise. (I've had a room facing the piazza 3 times). Of course, that means you don't sleep with the windows open, but the A/C and heat function well. I like to hear the noise from the piazza up until I am ready to close my eyes and sleep. The difference in the sound level with the windows closed vs. open is amazing.

If you are very noise intolerant, it's not impossible that you'd hear a siren tearing across the piazza, or one of the ubiquitous garbage trucks emptying the trash cans of accumulated bottles at 5:30 am if they are especially noisy (a common problem at virtually every place I've stayed in Rome). I'm not sure anything could block those out. But for the most part, you won't hear sounds from the piazza.

Albergo Santa Chiara was also fine. I've only stayed there once since they've renovated many of the rooms, and I do not recall noise. They are around the back of the Pantheon rather than on Piazza della Rotonda. I might ask for a room that doesn't face the busy street on which the hotel entrance is located, since the view isn't particularly a "wow".

Hotel Smeraldo is not 100% noise proof and sometimes you can hear from below. But on the other hand, it IS right next to a fabulous bakery (Roscioli)....  Of the three places, it is definitely the most "budget" hotel; don't expect the same level of decor or service as at Santa Chiara or the del Senato, but the price is also more modest.

(I just snapped up a low rate at del Senato in late November and a cheap Delta airfare -- I'm going back to Rome for a long week....:classic_biggrin:)

53 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

(I just snapped up a low rate at del Senato in late November and a cheap Delta airfare -- I'm going back to Rome for a long week....:classic_biggrin:)

Thanks for all that helpful hotel info!  And have a great trip!! 

• 2 months later...
On 4/7/2019 at 8:58 PM, styles27 said:

Thanks everyone. That’s an interesting idea about leaving the ship the last port day. Will have to keep that in mind for next time. 

Our last stop is Genoa, we’re cruising on MSC Divina. 

We ended up booking a hotel near the Pantheon area per cruisemom’s recommendation. 

We decided we don’t want to rush through Florence (and seeing I’ve had two spine surgeries I especially can’t rush around a train station with heavy luggage. )

I feel better about just staying the last two nights in Rome so we’re closer to the airport. 

I think we’ll be planning another trip to Italy so we can really enjoy some time in the Tuscan region. 😊

So much to see, so little time!

What hotel did you book near the Pantheon? I’m looking for a hotel post cruise.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, counsdr said:

What hotel did you book near the Pantheon? I’m looking for a hotel post cruise.

Thanks!

We booked a flat on Airbnb. It was located in the Jewish Ghetto which was pretty cool and only a couple of blocks from the Pantheon. It was a great location. If you’d like the info I can post it for you. The hosts name was Francesca.  We stayed at two of her properties in Rome. One precruise and then this one after the cruise. Both were great. 

She also arranged transportation for us to and from the cruise ship port. That was a huge bonus. 

Edited by styles27