WOW Dress Code has Changed

jc foster

5 hours ago, Fogfog said:

@jc foster

Really depends on your style

DH likes to wear a dark suit on Chic Nights and a blue blazer with a collared shirt for dinner on other evenings.

I wear a dress to dinner every night...and it will be a nicer dress for chic nights. 

We didn't do tux/gown on chic nights the last 3 cruises --however some did--and they looked lovely and had a great time. Gentlemen in the military did wear their dress uniforms and looked dashing. 

Choose what you enjoy--it is your cruise. 

Wanted to add to my former post...

I would agree we saw more black tie on our Baltics sailing than on others..and as I mentioned earlier--many looked fabulous.

ON our AK cruise many dressed for dinner... though that ship had maybe 700 pax--was not a "big cruise ship" line like CCL/RCCL

We do enjoy dressing for dinner...it is part of the pleasure of cruising.  Did want to say I traveled 17 days with flights/Baltics cruise in a wheeled carry on and tote..and dressed in dresses/dress shoes for each night at dinner and chic nights. No heavy bags and such. You can dress smartly for elegant/chic nights including dress shoes--without needing lots of luggage.

• Like 1

I have been cruising Celebrity since the days of two formal, two informal (jacket and slacks but no suit), and three casual nights on a seven day sailing. Now for me at least, it is Designer Kirkland jeans, New Balance black sneakers, and a polo shirt every night in MDR, Blu, or specialty dining every night. No one stares, no one sneers, no one cares. Wear whatever you feel comfortable wearing, as long as you adhere to no t-shirts or shorts in the restaurants for dinner.

Edited by bayonnejoe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bayonnejoe said:

I have been cruising Celebrity since the days of two formal, two informal (jacket and slacks but no suit), and three casual nights on a seven day sailing. Now for me at least, it is Designer Kirkland jeans, New Balance black sneakers, and a polo shirt every night in MDR, Blu, or specialty dining every night. No one stares, no one sneers, no one cares. Wear whatever you feel comfortable wearing, as long as you adhere to no t-shirts or shorts in the restaurants for dinner.

Just love those designer Kirkland Jeans.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Redtravel said:

A Hawaiian cruise is a great place to find people wearing Hawaiian shirts. There tends to be a huge number of men on Celebrity wearing Hawaiian shirts. Last Oceania cruise, we counted 3 Hawaiian shirts. 

Is that a good or bad thing?  IYO? Who sits and counts others dress?  Maybe a drinking game...I could possibly see that. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

8 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

Considering the cost of checking bags on airlines and the general hassle of handling bags when traveling, I'm all in on that.  

"Varied wardrobe"?  Why?  Totally unnecessary, imho.  It's not like I'm ever gonna see my fellow passengers again (with rare exceptions).  And as long as I'm clean and dressed appropriately to the stated dress code, I really don't give a rip what a stranger thinks of my attire.  And I give others the same respect.

Sometimes, strangers do care.  A few years ago, I had someone ask me, in tones of great (false) concern, if my bags had been lost “because I always see you wearing the same thing.”  I had my bags, and I wore different things.  He was just a nasty so-and-so.  

I like wearing a tux, maybe because i wear a suit and tie for work so it's dressier. Cruises from UK seem to have heavier tux wear and I didn't take on our recent cruise from Hong Kong.

A year or so ago I noticed the increase in Hawaiian shirts on Celeb and commented on here which caused a bit of a rumpus as people thought I was criticising, in fact quite the opposite i am now the proud owner of about a dozen Tommy Bahama shirts, a couple non patterned all of will be coming with me to the Caribbean in September on the Equinox.

As many have said wear what you won't you won't be the only ones in tux and ballgown and you won't be the only ones in chino's and polo shirts!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lisiamc said:

Sometimes, strangers do care.  A few years ago, I had someone ask me, in tones of great (false) concern, if my bags had been lost “because I always see you wearing the same thing.”  I had my bags, and I wore different things.  He was just a nasty so-and-so.  

I wouldn't care what that person thought of my wardrobe.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alushar said:

As many have said wear what you won't you won't be the only ones in tux and ballgown and you won't be the only ones in chino's and polo shirts!

This is the best summary of the current dress code or dress suggestions on Celebrity.  The relaxed dress code/suggestions, the elimination of smoking indoors and the introduction of select dining are the best changes that Celebrity has introduced over the last several years. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Celebrity has become more casual than Azamara.  It is not country club casual or resort Canadian. Most people dress down. It is unusual to see any formal attire. Very few guys wear a tie or jacket. There are lots of jeans, Hawaiian shirts, sneakers, sandals, etc.  it reminds me of a big come as you are party. Have not seen anyone in the MDR in bathing suits yet.  I miss the old days when people dressed up.  Just for fun, we were with people who made a game out of counting men in Hawaiian type shirts. Celebrity has too many to count. They wear more of them on evening chic nights. Nobody seems to know what is expected on evening chic nights.  I see little difference in the attire on evening chic and casual nights. PAck and wear anything that you like. 

I love seeing the Hawaiian type shirts on a Caribbean cruise...some of those Tommy Bahama shirts cost over $100 apiece.  Our kids and grandkids have been buying them for my husband for a couple of decades.😍  He gets them for his birthday and Fathers Day.  At lot of them are panel backs and many are just solid colors. Anytime he wears them to church someone will eventually come up to him and ask if we're going on a cruise ( we live in NC)  On evening chic night he will wear one of his 2 white linen suits with a TB shirt. He looks great and loves to wear them. The only t-shirts he wears are Margaritaville ones. The grandkids love getting those for him....When we cruise Europe it's always in the Fall and he usually only wears black to fit in with the Europeans....and he brings his Italian cut black suit for evening chic..he stopped wearing a Tux about 10 yrs ago because of the baggage weight.....he also has a nice collection of ties he wears with his "normal" suits for church LOL  It's nice to see that he enjoys cruising and dressing for the itinerary. 

He got a kick out of the game you play counting the shirts ...we do the same thing,,, everyone should wear what they want as long as it doesn't offend someone.....I can still remember a man coming into the dining room at lunch time in a wife beater t-shirt and he was hairy everywhere but on his head....not when people are eating......😕

When my husband is on a cruise he is my eye candy..my Pierce Bronson....he'll be 75 in Nov.😎

Edited by myjillian
  • Like 3

BTW,, those TB silk shirts are over $100...very nice gift!

....the only shirt counting game we used to play was on Royal C ...first day lunch in the buffet... men in seeveless " wife beater" shirts with hairy armpits .

Something not  usually seen in X...thank goodness!

18 minutes ago, hcat said:

BTW,, those TB silk shirts are over $100...very nice gift!

....the only shirt counting game we used to play was on Royal C ...first day lunch in the buffet... men in seeveless " wife beater" shirts with hairy armpits .

Something not  usually seen in X...thank goodness!

Great Post to start my day with a smile" Sleeveless wife beater shirts".

2 hours ago, lisiamc said:

I look at someone who has behaved as you describe and think to myself....."thank you for introducing yourself and clearly telling me who you are.....good to know!"

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

No, but it still irks me that I couldn’t think of a snappy comeback at the time!

As I was growing up my friend's father had a description for this type of person.  He would always remind us that "there are more horses a$$es in this world than there are horses"

• Haha 1

Since nobody really knows what to wear for evening chic nights, maybe they should be changed to something that everyone understands. It really seems that evening chic should be changed to a Theme night. It might be more fun. Since there are an unusually high number of Hawaiian shirts, there should be a Tropics Night. On many other cruise lines there are theme nights. They are often the highlight of the trip. Azamara has white nights. People are asked to wear white. It is only a suggestion. Most people do wear white. Ship Officers present a fabulous deck bbq, pool deck has tables covered in white, and the party is great. There is local food, live music, and local entertainment. It is a blast. Windstar does a similar bbq on deck. The crew and guests dance the night away under the stars. Also, a fantastic time. Costa does a Roman toga night. Everyone is given sheets to arrange into togas. Everyone wears them to dinner....lots of fun!  

11 hours ago, Fogfog said:

Wanted to add to my former post...

I would agree we saw more black tie on our Baltics sailing than on others..and as I mentioned earlier--many looked fabulous.

ON our AK cruise many dressed for dinner... though that ship had maybe 700 pax--was not a "big cruise ship" line like CCL/RCCL

We do enjoy dressing for dinner...it is part of the pleasure of cruising.  Did want to say I traveled 17 days with flights/Baltics cruise in a wheeled carry on and tote..and dressed in dresses/dress shoes for each night at dinner and chic nights. No heavy bags and such. You can dress smartly for elegant/chic nights including dress shoes--without needing lots of luggage.

You can...but I'm in awe of anyone who can do it with only the luggage you mentioned!  Kudos.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lisiamc said:

My reply might have been this: 

"What are you trying to imply, you miserablen obnoxious f!%k?"

If I were in a good mood, it might have been:

"Thank you so much for the compliment on my clothing!  I shop at Fendi, Channel, St John, etc.  When I find something i like, I buy everything they have in my size.  Thank you for noticing!"

Yeah, it probably would have been the former regardless of my mood.  

1 hour ago, jkgourmet said:

My reply might have been this: 

"What are you trying to imply, you miserablen obnoxious f!%k?"

If I were in a good mood, it might have been:

"Thank you so much for the compliment on my clothing!  I shop at Fendi, Channel, St John, etc.  When I find something i like, I buy everything they have in my size.  Thank you for noticing!"

Yeah, it probably would have been the former regardless of my mood.  

People like that should be arrested for being stupid in public😎

3 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

You can...but I'm in awe of anyone who can do it with only the luggage you mentioned!  Kudos.

I searched for packing tips here on CC and on other travel sites. It was super liberating. I had the roll on and a tote that zipped. Our adult "children" and DH had duffel bags! I stood there while they waited for luggage at the baggage claim. With trips of 2 weeks you can send laundry out (jeans, dress shirts etc) and do delicate items in the sink. After reading from other women here on CC I was sold on it. And researching now to pack etc... Made all the difference. Planning to do the same for our upcoming TA and extra days in Spain etc. 

Edited by Fogfog
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

I searched for packing tips here on CC and on other travel sites. It was super liberating. I had the roll on and a tote that zipped. Our adult "children" and DH had duffel bags! I stood there while they waited for luggage at the baggage claim. With trips of 2 weeks you can send laundry out (jeans, dress shirts etc) and do delicate items in the sink. After reading from other women here on CC I was sold on it. And researching now to pack etc... Made all the difference. Planning to do the same for our upcoming TA and extra days in Spain etc. 

The last few cruises we've driven to the cruise port. Not being restricted by airline weight/space restrictions I take way too much because....I can! It would be nice to travel lighter. Maybe I'll try next time....oh who am I kidding!? It'll never happen. Besides, DH would pass out from the shock if I did.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

The last few cruises we've driven to the cruise port. Not being restricted by airline weight/space restrictions I take way too much because....I can! It would be nice to travel lighter. Maybe I'll try next time....oh who am I kidding!? It'll never happen. Besides, DH would pass out from the shock if I did.🤣

🤣🤣

One thing that helped is I stopped being the family pharmacy etc. Stopped bringing Advil for all, Benedryl for all, bandaids for all, sinus headache tabs or antacid etc. If you want it--you pack it. That took A LOT out of my bag 🙂

5 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Since nobody really knows what to wear for evening chic nights, maybe they should be changed to something that everyone understands. It really seems that evening chic should be changed to a Theme night. It might be more fun. Since there are an unusually high number of Hawaiian shirts, there should be a Tropics Night. On many other cruise lines there are theme nights. They are often the highlight of the trip. Azamara has white nights. People are asked to wear white. It is only a suggestion. Most people do wear white. Ship Officers present a fabulous deck bbq, pool deck has tables covered in white, and the party is great. There is local food, live music, and local entertainment. It is a blast. Windstar does a similar bbq on deck. The crew and guests dance the night away under the stars. Also, a fantastic time. Costa does a Roman toga night. Everyone is given sheets to arrange into togas. Everyone wears them to dinner....lots of fun!  

X already has white night deck party and a tropical deck party .....,and sometimes 70s and 80s nights...plus Halloween etc..

Other ideas are cute and creative, but 

Chic Night gives everyone a chance to dress up based on their own image of chic...It has been successful...Hope they keep it! Two dressier nights per cuise keeps it classy

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Redtravel said:

I'm not wearing a Halloween costume ANYPLACE.  Nor am I going to buy a yoga or white outfit that I'll use exactly once.  I feel the same way about formal wear.  I guess I'm no fun.

We're with FogFog.  Carry on only.  We've gone away for land + cruise vacations that exceeded a month without checking a bag.  And rarely use ship laundry.  Wash stuff in sink (I travel with 8 lightweight wooden clothes pins) and occasionally drop stuff off at a one day wash and fold in port.  The $50 cost to do a bag of laundry in X really pisses me off.  THAT'S truly taking advantage of a captive audience.  Just like a glass of wine at the airport.  I

We do check the bags in the way home if it's free.  I keep hoping they will lose them so they will give me money and I'll go shopping.  Alas, I lost a bag only once - On an outbound flight about 35 years ago on a business trip.  Which is exactly why I never check bags on the outbound flight.

plus we never complain about the supposed lack of storage in the cabins.  Never even noticed it.

Edited by jkgourmet

11 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Yep, I understand.  Perhaps we need a separate thread to develop snappy responses for this type of situation.

I've got a good response for anyone caught in that situation. You're on vacation. It's just words. Be the bigger person, realize it means nothing to you, and simply walk away, 

Edited by bayonnejoe