Symphony Review 5/11 to 5/18 ... (Semi-LIVE)

I'm starting my pregame Symphony 5/11 to 5/18 review.  Is anyone on this sailing, if so here's a shout out to join this review!  The cruisers are myself, wife, son and daughter.  I do have VOOM for the week as part of staying in a Grand Suite so I'll try to update this review as it's happening but it's going to be a busy week.  Sunday is mother's day, Tuesday is my son's 12th birthday, and Wednesday is our 20th wedding anniversary! 

So I'm coming from Ithaca, NY which if you know the area there is NO easy way to get to anything.  So here's our crazy schedule and plans to get to the port!  We leave our home Friday morning at Zero Dark 5am (ouch) and drive to Trenton, NJ airport (yeah I didn't know they had one either until 3 months ago 🙂 ).  We board a flight which takes us to Fort Lauderdale, FL arriving around 2:45pm.  I know what you're thinking, doesn't Symphony sail out of Miami?  Yes it does, but the flight from Trenton for the four of us was ridiculously cheap (around $600 if we all agree to pedal) and only went to Ft. Lauderdale.

So here's where the craziness kicks in... I first looked into Uber/Lyft/Taxi option to a hotel near the port but they were all crazy expensive.  So using my Avis preferred status I rented a car at the Ft. Lauderdale airport ($35 one way) and will drop the family off at a hotel in Miami (that offers free shuttle to the port) and then will return the car to the Miami airport and take free shuttle to the hotel.  So it will be a crazy day of traveling but who cares we're going on a CRUISE!

countdown.png

schedule.png

Let's get this party started!!!!

• Like 1

Popeye,

seems like a lot of legs but $$$ savings could be worth it.  Good price on the 1 way rental.  But if your hotel is in downtown Miami, there's a Miami agency on 2nd SE 2nd Street.  Less of fighting Miami traffic back to airport.  And the good news is from FLL to Miami down I-95, you'll be able to use the HOV lane.  Keeps you out of the traffic in the main lanes from which you'll go bananas and need an alcohol infusion once at your hotel just to return to semi-normalcy.  But you'll simply adore Ithaca traffic once you return home, even when Cornell is in session.

Adding, this is our itinerary next Feb. so really interested in your experiences as well as the ship itself.

Edited by crewsweeper

10 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Popeye,

seems like a lot of legs but $$$ savings could be worth it.  Good price on the 1 way rental.  But if your hotel is in downtown Miami, there's a Miami agency on 2nd SE 2nd Street.  Less of fighting Miami traffic back to airport.  And the good news is from FLL to Miami down I-95, you'll be able to use the HOV lane.  Keeps you out of the traffic in the main lanes from which you'll go bananas and need an alcohol infusion once at your hotel just to return to semi-normalcy.  But you'll simply adore Ithaca traffic once you return home, even when Cornell is in session.

Adding, this is our itinerary next Feb. so really interested in your experiences as well as the ship itself.

That's what I did for the way back.  I will grab a cab from the ship and pick up our return car (same price one way) at 2nd and SE, then shoot back to the port, pick up the family and luggage then drive back to FLL airport.  Our return flight isn't until 2:45pm so we'll have plenty of time.

Edited by PopeyeDaSailor
  • Like 1

Good deal for you!  We did Uber.... $70 each way.  We flew Boston to FLL.... We always stick with JetBlue for Florida and one of us usually can fly on points using last years vaca points..... I was unpleasantly surprised to find out JetBlue does not fly into Miami when I had booked Symphony.  Had no idea!  After the shock, it was no biggie, that was our only negative on the trip!

Enjoy,,,,, I’m on week 4 of being back, sunburn gone and in a state of depression..... Symphony was amazing!  As I’m sure you know, and I actually forgot to do this trip..... don’t forget to sit back and take it all in...... there is so much to do on these mega ships that it literally flew by....😭. Enjoy!!!

My wife and I are on the same Cruise.  SUPER EXCITED!!  We have an easy 1 1/2 hour trip over from the West Coast.  Although not super excited about paying $22/day for parking.  Before this thread blows up with other parking options - - It is worth every penny to park at the port.  Trust me.

Have a wonderful trip!  I'll be interested in your review as we are doing this same itinerary of Symphony in October.  I'd never been to Ithaca until my sister got married to a Syracuse boy and now every year for about the last for our five years, we accompany my sister's family for a Labor Day weekend of fun and we attend a picnic at Harry Treman State Park (which is gorgeous and we love to do the hike!) and then stop for ice cream at Purity on the way home!  Bon Voyage!

6 hours ago, Cruisin Around said:

Have a wonderful trip!  I'll be interested in your review as we are doing this same itinerary of Symphony in October.  I'd never been to Ithaca until my sister got married to a Syracuse boy and now every year for about the last for our five years, we accompany my sister's family for a Labor Day weekend of fun and we attend a picnic at Harry Treman State Park (which is gorgeous and we love to do the hike!) and then stop for ice cream at Purity on the way home!  Bon Voyage!

I'm from South Jersey (near Philly) and have lived up here the last 15 years.  I never want to go back. 🙂 

• Like 1

Quick question concerning the Kids club. 

I was reading through a CC article on "when not to tip" (please this is not a tipping thread) and they suggested not tipping the counselors in the kids club. 

Has anyone tipped them at the end of the week?  I'm just trying to plan on my cash to bring since I already pre-paid the automatic tips.

Edited by PopeyeDaSailor

6 minutes ago, PopeyeDaSailor said:

Quick question concerning the Kids club. 

I was reading through a CC article on "when not to tip" (please this is not a tipping thread) and they suggested not tipping the counselors in the kids club. 

Has anyone tipped them at the end of the week?  I'm just trying to plan on my cash to bring since I already pre-paid the automatic tips.

Yes people have tipped them but it’s really not necessary.  The people working there are university graduates and getting a much better wage than the cabin attendants and dining staff.