Recent Alaska Cruise

cruiserjanet

We returned on Sunday from a cruise to Alaska on the Ruby Princess. It was round-trip out of Los Angeles. The weather was cold but sunny and beautiful. We were the first ship in all of the ports except Victoria. The cruise overall was wonderful. I have pictures in a link in my signature if you are interested.

Edited by cruiserjanet
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, cruiserjanet said:

We returned on Sunday from a cruise to Alaska on the Ruby Princess. It was round-trip out of Los Angeles. The weather was cold but sunny and beautiful. We were the first ship in all of the ports except Victoria. The cruise overall was wonderful. I have pictures in a link in my signature if you are interested.

How do I see your pics ?

1 hour ago, cruiserjanet said:

There's a link in my signature. I have included it here just in case.

http://cruiserjanet.shutterfly.com

Thanks so much for sharing!! GREAT pics.. Can't wait. We are on the star may25! How were the seas? Are the seas rough.. I'm used to carribbean cruises and have to bring and take Dramamine .. Was wondering how the seas are on Alaskan cruise? 

9 minutes ago, maktiller said:

Thanks so much for sharing!! GREAT pics.. Can't wait. We are on the star may25! How were the seas? Are the seas rough.. I'm used to carribbean cruises and have to bring and take Dramamine .. Was wondering how the seas are on Alaskan cruise? 

Thank you. It was wonderful especially since we've never been this early in the season. We've been in August and September in the past.

It was different for us since we were coming from Los Angeles so the sea was a little rough the first few nights. My husband took Bonine just to be on the safe side. As we got further north into northern Oregon and Washington, it calmed down and remained that way the rest of the cruise until we returned to Los Angeles. Therefore, I think you will be fine. But it's a good idea to have Bonine (easier on your stomach) just in case you start to feel "iffy". We take our own first aid kit which includes that and other "just in case" items.

3 hours ago, cruiserjanet said:

Thanks so much for all the pix.  Now the rest of us know what it looks like in Alaska in April!  Lots and lots of snow.  The earliest we've been up there was mid-May a few years ago.  Big difference between then and late April-early May!

19 minutes ago, lightasafeather said:

We found that Bonine works better than anything we have used for seasickness. It's fairly non-drowsy and it's OTC - we got a big bottle from Amazon.

Great. I'll definitely try it!

Nice photos! I wish we could have done LA RT, but they did not start adding dates that would work for us till next year, so we are driving up to SF. 

Do you think it was colder or warmer than you expected? I know it is iffy in Alaska, but I feel like I am going to be cold. haha 🙂 

1 hour ago, Katwoman007 said:

Nice photos! I wish we could have done LA RT, but they did not start adding dates that would work for us till next year, so we are driving up to SF. 

Do you think it was colder or warmer than you expected? I know it is iffy in Alaska, but I feel like I am going to be cold. haha 🙂 

The weather was what we expected, which was cold. It was originally supposed to rain in most of the ports we were visiting, but it was sunny, including in Glacier Bay. However, several ships after us had cloudy skies and some rain. A worker at a store in Juneau told us it had hailed 3 days before we arrived so we felt we were very fortunate. The next time we go, it will be in June. Round-trip from Los Angeles was ideal for us since it's our home port.

Edited by cruiserjanet

5 hours ago, cruiserjanet said:

The weather was what we expected, which was cold. It was originally supposed to rain in most of the ports we were visiting, but it was sunny, including in Glacier Bay. However, several ships after us had cloudy skies and some rain. A worker at a store in Juneau told us it had hailed 3 days before we arrived so we felt we were very fortunate. The next time we go, it will be in June. Round-trip from Los Angeles was ideal for us since it's our home port.

It is our home port too. However, our babysitters cannot watch all the kids during the school year and there were no summer break dates this year. I did not want to wait another year. lol We are leaving the kids just 2 days after they get out for the summer! hahaha Cannot wait! 😄

On 5/7/2019 at 1:33 PM, cruiserjanet said:

Thank you. It was wonderful especially since we've never been this early in the season. We've been in August and September in the past.

It was different for us since we were coming from Los Angeles so the sea was a little rough the first few nights. My husband took Bonine just to be on the safe side. As we got further north into northern Oregon and Washington, it calmed down and remained that way the rest of the cruise until we returned to Los Angeles. Therefore, I think you will be fine. But it's a good idea to have Bonine (easier on your stomach) just in case you start to feel "iffy". We take our own first aid kit which includes that and other "just in case" items.

We were on this ship with y'all. It was quite rough the first couple of days.I actually sort of like the rocking.

This was our first time on Princess and sadly will likely be our last. We had a premium aft-facing balcony and our cabin was stifling hot. We reported air conditioning problem 4 times and they finally told us that there was nothing else they could do. Never dreamed we'd be literally sweating all night on an Alaskan cruise. I'm actually trying to research now to see if it's just the Ruby that is so disappointing. We had a wonderful trip, because Alaska is gorgeous,  but thought Princess was our least favorite out of Holland America, Norwegian, and Carnival