NUMBER OF PLEATS IN FORMAL SHIRT?

Ocalapat

5 hours ago, Ocalapat said:

Please help. We are trying to order online. Way more choices than we expected. 

thanks so much,

Ocalapat

Agree forget the pleats, purchase the most expensive shirt you can afford, and team it with a quality hand tie bow.

A cheap dress shirt with an elastic bow degrades any tux, regardless of price it's point.

Your partner would possibly enjoy slowly pulling open a hand tie at the end of the evening.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Agree forget the pleats, purchase the most expensive shirt you can afford, and team it with a quality hand tie bow.

A cheap dress shirt with an elastic bow degrades any tux, regardless of price it's point.

Your partner would possibly enjoy slowly pulling open a hand tie at the end of the evening.

TMI,Idon't think he's James Bond,lol.

Ocolapat , If you want to look 'Dapper' in formal wear,  pleats on a formal dress shirt are not so important. What I'd be looking for, does the shirt have  'Double Cuffs' and is it tailored  without buttons so as to fix 'Dress Studs'. 

Good quality cuff links & five dress studs are the secret to a guy looking good. 

Avoid a flashy/sparkly coloured Bow Tie, stick to Black ! unless you want to look like the Bingo Caller from the entertainment department .😉 

1 hour ago, Bell Boy said:

Ocolapat , If you want to look 'Dapper' in formal wear,  pleats on a formal dress shirt are not so important. What I'd be looking for, does the shirt have  'Double Cuffs' and is it tailored  without buttons so as to fix 'Dress Studs'. 

Good quality cuff links & five dress studs are the secret to a guy looking good. 

Avoid a flashy/sparkly coloured Bow Tie, stick to Black ! unless you want to look like the Bingo Caller from the entertainment department .😉 

Agree with studs and cufflinks suggestion, and if the OP wishes to be a little different, consider like I did a couple of years ago, a complete set of ovals made by Deakin & Francis.  A nice addition to any collection of round and square sets.

I ordered one from Charles Tyrwhitt for my husband. It was custom made ( as far as sleeve length and collar width ). They don't make ones to fit him as he is short and a little heavy. It is a beautiful broadcloth cotton with cuffs and a nice spread collar. Less than $100. It took about 3 weeks to come, but was so well worth it. No pleats, but a nice textured front.

DH's rule was flat if you're going to wear a waistcoat (vest). Pleats otherwise. I like the look of narrow pleats (which means more pleats).  And yes, double cuffs--I've never seen one that didn't have double cuffs. 

It's difficult to tell quality when you can't look at and touch the shirt. I've seen some expensive ones that were poor quality. Make sure it's returnable in case you don't like it.