Transfer: Southampton—London (incl. LHR/LGW) train, car, other?

jedco

10 hours ago, GREGS1GIRL said:

John,

Could you provide transportation options from the Princess Cruise Terminal in Southampton to The Ruben Hotel in London on 13 August of this year. We have a one night stay there after our cruise before flying home the next day. Having Afternoon Tea at The Ruben and seeing Hamilton. We will most likely have a rolling suitcase and a personal item each for my husband and I and my husband will have his golf clubs. He prefers to take the easiest route so we aren't dealing with the luggage so much and I prefer we not break the bank! 

Thank you!
Stacey

Hi Stacey,

Easiest and cheapest, but not quickest, is the direct bus service 

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

The London terminus of the bus is Victoria Coach Station - like Reubens at the Palace it's on Buckingham Palace Road and a simple flat & direct 10-minute walk (or very short taxi hop) to the hotel.

The 09.50 would suit, or the 08.45 if you can get an early disembarkation slot, but for either you are very strongly advised to book because the buses don't have elastic sides.

Nat. Express fare is about £20 per person, book the golf clubs as extra baggage, journey time 2 hrs 30 mins. Driver loads & unloads.

In the UK & in Europe generally, public transport - including buses - is used by people from all walks of life, buses are comfortable and have bathrooms & free wifi.

Most train services from Southampton to London go to London Waterloo station, about 90 minutes. But that means travelling by  tube (not ideal with luggage) or a £15 - £20 taxi hop from Waterloo to the hotel. Fare £21 if booked in advance (only good for the train time that you select), walk-up fare £41 

Or there's an hourly train service to London Victoria train station, just a 5-minute walk to the hotel, but that train takes a convoluted route and the journey time is 2hrs 30 mins. Fare £21. 

All of the above have direct services, there are other options which involve a change of train but I suggest you avoid that complication.

You'll need to haul bags yourselves, tho there's no high step between platform & train.

Be aware that there is an industrial dispute with train drivers, there have been a few days when they've been on strike and that may continue. There are no "wildcat" strikes in the UK, they have to be voted by union members and advised to the public in advance. If you choose to go by train, do check for industrial action - and any strike days have a knock-on effect on the following day's trains.

https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/

If you go by Nat Express or train you'll need a taxi hop from the rank at the cruise terminal to the bus or train station. About £7.

Many cruise lines - including Princess - offer ship's transfer buses from the cruise terminal to Victoria Coach Station (same place as the Nat Express buses). Very poor value compared to Nat Express for almost the same service even though no taxi hop is needed and no charge for the golf clubs, but some folk prefer the comfort of booking with the cruise line.

A private transfer would cost mebbe £170 - £200.

Best bet is either Nat Express or ship's transfer to Victoria coach station.

JB 🙂

23 hours ago, leon55 said:

Suggestions please! I have just had my International Friends London to Southampton via Windsor transfer cancelled. Any recommendations for a company which offered a similar services? travelling October 2022.

Princess Cruises offers a couple of airport transfers FROM Southampton via Windsor TO Heathrow if flying after 4 or 5pm.

On 7/19/2022 at 5:03 AM, John Bull said:

Hi Stacey,

Easiest and cheapest, but not quickest, is the direct bus service 

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

The London terminus of the bus is Victoria Coach Station - like Reubens at the Palace it's on Buckingham Palace Road and a simple flat & direct 10-minute walk (or very short taxi hop) to the hotel.

The 09.50 would suit, or the 08.45 if you can get an early disembarkation slot, but for either you are very strongly advised to book because the buses don't have elastic sides.

Nat. Express fare is about £20 per person, book the golf clubs as extra baggage, journey time 2 hrs 30 mins. Driver loads & unloads.

In the UK & in Europe generally, public transport - including buses - is used by people from all walks of life, buses are comfortable and have bathrooms & free wifi.

Most train services from Southampton to London go to London Waterloo station, about 90 minutes. But that means travelling by  tube (not ideal with luggage) or a £15 - £20 taxi hop from Waterloo to the hotel. Fare £21 if booked in advance (only good for the train time that you select), walk-up fare £41 

Or there's an hourly train service to London Victoria train station, just a 5-minute walk to the hotel, but that train takes a convoluted route and the journey time is 2hrs 30 mins. Fare £21. 

All of the above have direct services, there are other options which involve a change of train but I suggest you avoid that complication.

You'll need to haul bags yourselves, tho there's no high step between platform & train.

Be aware that there is an industrial dispute with train drivers, there have been a few days when they've been on strike and that may continue. There are no "wildcat" strikes in the UK, they have to be voted by union members and advised to the public in advance. If you choose to go by train, do check for industrial action - and any strike days have a knock-on effect on the following day's trains.

If you go by Nat Express or train you'll need a taxi hop from the rank at the cruise terminal to the bus or train station. About £7.

Many cruise lines - including Princess - offer ship's transfer buses from the cruise terminal to Victoria Coach Station (same place as the Nat Express buses). Very poor value compared to Nat Express for almost the same service even though no taxi hop is needed and no charge for the golf clubs, but some folk prefer the comfort of booking with the cruise line.

A private transfer would cost mebbe £170 - £200.

Best bet is either Nat Express or ship's transfer to Victoria coach station.

JB 🙂

Thank you!! This is very helpful! 

Stacey

On 6/29/2022 at 5:59 PM, njkruzer said:

1.5 to 2 hrs if I remember correctly.  We'll be using a car service.   While pricey £160 forc 2 with luggage don't want to schlep luggage on train.  Train cost is low but still need taxis at both ends.  When are you going? Maybe you can check on the roll call for your cruise and find someone to share a car service. 

Which car service are you using?

10 hours ago, njkruzer said:

A friend recommended Pinkberry.   I see you live nearby.  We're in Nashville.  Hello

Thank you for this info. I have sent Pinkberry a message. Did you book this company?

5 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Haven't done it yet.  We travel in October so in no rush.  On my list.

My friend also uses Meadway cars, meadway.com.  my friend is from London and visits family there.

Edited by njkruzer

how realistic is it for us to catch an 8:45 National Coach? What time would we have to be off the ship and will there be plentiful taxis? It's Anthem of Seas (so 4000+ people) on a Sunday. Out other option is 11:20, plenty of time, but how late can we stay on the ship?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, elaine5 said:

how realistic is it for us to catch an 8:45 National Coach? What time would we have to be off the ship and will there be plentiful taxis? It's Anthem of Seas (so 4000+ people) on a Sunday. Out other option is 11:20, plenty of time, but how late can we stay on the ship?

You should have no problem catching the 8.45, altho you'd need either to disembark unassisted (haul your own bags from your cabin) from about 7am or have an early (7.30 to 8am) disembarkation slot - if you're allocated a later slot just ask at Guest Relations for 7.30 to 8 slot, citing your onward transport.

The coach station is a three-minute taxi hop or a 15 - 20 minute walk from your cruise terminal. There's a taxi rank at the terminal and at that time in the morning, despite Anthem's size, little likelihood of having to wait for a taxi.

If you choose to play it ultra-safe & book the 11.20, you'll probably be thrown off the ship by 10am. 

That might be after the taxis have deserted the terminal, but by 11am (probably earlier) there'll be taxis arriving to drop off new cruisers. 

Or 10am to 11.20 gives you 80 minutes to walk less than a mile.

JB 🙂  

• Like 1

Avoid Blackberry Cars. They canceled on us for a Heathrow to Southampton run yesterday as we were on the way to airport. I had paid months earlier. They stated driver shortage. We had to pay more for a last minute booking on Twelve Transfers and lost money on currency rates. All we got was a refund to card in pounds. Never again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it possible to get off the ship and catch a cab that will take us into a hotel near Gatwick or do we really need to book a car service ahead of time!

We arrive in Heathrow and have booked the National Express bus to Southampton but the return trip by bus is not as economical or quick as the buses all have to go first to Heathrow before Gatwick and the train schedule has us changing trains.  We aren’t feeble but hauling luggage from the terminal to a cab, then onto a bus or train which both have stops then another cab from where the bus/train ends to our hotel and well I am tired just thinking about it.

Can we just get off and find a cab into the hotel near Gatwick?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MsDolly said:

Is it possible to get off the ship and catch a cab that will take us into a hotel near Gatwick or do we really need to book a car service ahead of time!

We arrive in Heathrow and have booked the National Express bus to Southampton but the return trip by bus is not as economical or quick as the buses all have to go first to Heathrow before Gatwick and the train schedule has us changing trains.  We aren’t feeble but hauling luggage from the terminal to a cab, then onto a bus or train which both have stops then another cab from where the bus/train ends to our hotel and well I am tired just thinking about it.

Can we just get off and find a cab into the hotel near Gatwick?

Pre-pandemic there were direct Nat Express buses (under 3 hrs) and hourly trains (2 hrs) from Southampton to Gatwick. Travel restrictions and reluctance to travel decimated passenger numbers and skeleton timetables were introduced.

National Express cancelled the Gatwick service so, as you've found, it's a bus to Heathrow and a change of coach there for Gatwick. 

That's still the case, but other Nat Express services have been reinstated and closer to your travel date that may be the case for Southampton to Gatwick .

The direct hourly train service Southampton to Gatwick (station is inside the South Terminal) has been reinstated - travel time 2 hours, advance fares as low as £12.50.

But not on sundays - there's never been a direct service on sundays.

Cabs are available from the ranks at both the cruise terminal and Gatwick airport. They're metered and expensive per mile. That's trivial for the short distance from cruise terminal to Southampton central station, or from Gatwick airport to a Gatwick hotel.

Yes, you can take a cab for the whole 90 mile to Gatwick from the rank at the cruise terminal but a whole host of us have always strongly advised against it

It's a very expensive way to do it, and even if you haggled a fixed price I reckon it'd be around 50% to 100% higher than a pre-booked private hire car, and for good reason..

When a Southampton cab is taken from the rank to Gatwick he has no passenger for his return to Southampton and is not permitted to join a Gatwick rank or tout for business in Gatwick, so his return to Southampton is "empty mileage", By contrast when a pre-booked private hire car is booked to Gatwick they can usually allocate the car for a suitably-timed passenger returning from Gatwick.

And cab drivers don't have to accept fares outside their catchment area - they may have other local bookings or  personal appointments for the day or simply want to stay local. So you'll have to walk along the line looking for a driver wiling to take you and at a fare that you're willing to pay.

So if you want a sensibly priced, seamless, & hassle-free drive pre-book a fixed price private transfer with a local operator like 

https://westquaycars.com/ 

or

https://aquacars.co.uk/

JB 🙂

On 7/21/2022 at 7:19 AM, GREGS1GIRL said:

Thank you for this info. I have sent Pinkberry a message. Did you book this company?

About to book Meadway. They were less expensive than Pinkberry from Heathrow to our hotel.  About the same from hotel to Southampton.  They answered my email quickly.

7 hours ago, njkruzer said:

About to book Meadway. They were less expensive than Pinkberry from Heathrow to our hotel.  About the same from hotel to Southampton.  They answered my email quickly.

Let us know how they work out.  TIA

3 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Let us know how they work out.  TIA

Will do but not going until October.   A friend referred me to them. She's originally from London,  currently living in Texas.  She also recommended Pinkberry cars but they were more expensive. 

• Thanks 1

Airline has just cancelled all flights to London Heathrow after August 10th, we had to change our flight to now arrive at Gatwick.  We have already booked the bus from Heathrow to Southampton so now we are looking at how best to get from Gatwick to Heathrow.  We can see the bus, but are wondering if anyone knows what the cab fare between the airports might be as this would be less stressful.

Thanks

16 hours ago, MsDolly said:

Airline has just cancelled all flights to London Heathrow after August 10th, we had to change our flight to now arrive at Gatwick.  We have already booked the bus from Heathrow to Southampton so now we are looking at how best to get from Gatwick to Heathrow.  We can see the bus, but are wondering if anyone knows what the cab fare between the airports might be as this would be less stressful.

Thanks

That's a bummer 😟

I see that direct LGW - SOU buses have still not returned to the Nat Express timetable,  the route is via one change  of bus - at Heathrow 🙄

A pre-booked car LGW - LHR will cost around £55 to £65 - that's not much more than 2 pax by Nat Express bus.

But Gatwick to Heathrow to Southampton is time-consuming & stressful by any means.

Even if you didn't buy cancellable bus tickets, your probably cheapest - and by far simplest - option is to take the direct hourly train from Gatwick Airport South Terminal to Southampton Central, which as per an earlier post of mine has been re-instated post-Covid. Advance fares £9 to £12 available from about eight weeks out, but those advance tickets are only good for the train time that you book. Walk-up fares about £40.

A couple of caveats

1. No direct trains or cheap advance fares on Sundays.

2. The country is going thro a spate of days of industrial action on the trains. There are no wildcat strikes - employers must be given notice, normally a minimum of14 days notice.

Trains are run by regional operators, and according to https://www.itv.com/news/2022-07-22/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-summer-train-strikes and other reputable websites that I've checked,  the operator for this route, Southern Railways, is not among the train operators listed as being affected by the already-announced strikes on 13th August and 18th to 20th August, 🙂.

The websites of National Rail and Southern Railways show latest information.

https://www.southernrailway.com/

(whilst normally advance fares are normally only good for the train time that you book, if the service on your travel day is disrupted or cancelled, I think your tickets will be good for a different time on that day, or for the same time next-day.

It never rains but it pours. 🙄

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, John Bull said:

The websites of National Rail and Southern Railways show latest information.

https://www.southernrailway.com/

(whilst normally advance fares are normally only good for the train time that you book, if the service on your travel day is disrupted or cancelled, I think your tickets will be good for a different time on that day, or for the same time next-day.

The train operating company's website should have very specific information closer to the time of the strike about exactly what you will be permitted to do with an Advance ticket if the train on which you are booked does not operate.

1 hour ago, macmax said:

When did Westjet ever fly to LHR?

They always flew in to LGW to the best of my knowledge .

Not true they have been flying into both airports direct from Calgary at least.  August 10th though appears to be their last day landing at LHR.