Hype over Ocean Cay fizzling since everything a la carte

LMaxwell

7 hours ago, Até said:

Whether Ocean Cay is available for guests this Winter is moot in my opinion  The fact that MSC is spending $$$ to try to revive/restore the coral colonies is significant.  For the health of the oceans, the coral animals are the "Canaries in the coal mines".  For decades, these "canaries" in the waters around the United States and Australia have been sending alarm signals.  Few receive them.  Even fewer understand their significance.   

• Like 4

I just do not understand how will they prevent coral bleaching... as far as I understand coral bleaching comes mainly from high water temperature. So they will cool the ocean or what? I do not quite get that.

But overall that is really nice move from MSC that they try to build this island in a sustainable way and with nature in their mind. I hope they transit from oil powered ships to gas ones in the future too. That will be even more eco friendly!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Domen said:

I just do not understand how will they prevent coral bleaching... as far as I understand coral bleaching comes mainly from high water temperature. So they will cool the ocean or what? I do not quite get that.

But overall that is really nice move from MSC that they try to build this island in a sustainable way and with nature in their mind. I hope they transit from oil powered ships to gas ones in the future too. That will be even more eco friendly!

Not all coral bleaching is caused by warming water. Causes of coral bleaching come from warm or LOW water temperatures, over exposure to light, water pollutants, and changes in a waters chemistry. 

MSC can help by eliminating the water pollutants for sure.

• Like 2

As a former Zoology major, I found the study/research on the very small marine creatures, such as the Coral and Sponge animals and the Protozoa, to be the most fascinating.  These little animals do everything that we Homo Sapiens can do that are essential to life.  If they find it difficult/impossible to survive in a hostile environment:  extrapolate that "message".  There is one for those who care to receive it.

I applaud MSC for making the effort of attempting to establish a new Coral community.  For those of us who are concerned about our Planet's environmental future,  may their efforts be most fruitful!  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I hope it ready for my early December sailing and absolutely do not want Cozumel as a replacement. If it is I will stay on the ship. I will just keep my fingers crossed and worst case scenario I will stay in Yacht Club and swim with the kids and have drinks and pizza by the pool. Lol I can think of worse things that can happen for sure. I’ll eventually see Ocean Cay as since this cruise is free, I’ll be able to book again over the kids long breaks in February or April. 

• 2 months later...

@cruiseguyinorl

Am rooting for MSCs success with OC.

Have seen a short youtube video recently which not only outlined the tremendous efforts in hauling trash off the island, to refurbishing it, reef building, plantings etc

It also mentioned the items in the boutique will be made of recycled plastics...and things like reef freindly sunscreen will be available.

Any updates from you side?

Yes..I realize the food is included (gelato is for fee) and bev package are good on the island 

and excursions, floats etc are for fee

Hoping that some of the res experts who had facts at their fingertips will pipe in... which is why I tagged him

We have B2B in early 2020. And from past posts, the YC buffet sounded like it would be lovely

We'll bring our snorkel gear... just need to determine if we will rent a cabana on one or both legs

2 hours ago, Fogfog said:

Any updates from you side?

Nothing of significance really. The Yacht Club Ocean House (bar/restaurant) looks like it will be amazing when completed in Phase 2. They have added additional Food Trucks and are now up to six last I looked. Started with only three. If you have specific questions about anything on the island, I can certainly try to answer them.

Bret

• Like 2

On 6/11/2019 at 6:37 AM, ready2cruzagain said:

Thank you for the explanation.  I did not realize that MSC's crew to passenger ratio was so much lower than other cruise lines.  When comparing it to other ships, it sure it!  Also, with only seating 600 people I can see where a problem would come in.

The seating areas by the buffet on NCL’s Great Stirrup Cay don’t seem large enough to accommodate everyone at once either but it still    works because not everyone goes to eat at the same time.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

Nothing of significance really. The Yacht Club Ocean House (bar/restaurant) looks like it will be amazing when completed in Phase 2. They have added additional Food Trucks and are now up to six last I looked. Started with only three. If you have specific questions about anything on the island, I can certainly try to answer them.

Bret

Do you expect they will do something for the YC buffet/bar service etc until the area is built out...

or will there be few if any YC perks on OC until completion? 

Far fewer YC pax and the idea of being with 1000s of folks isn't appealing..hence booking YC

also  any tips on getting a response from Status Match...Its been 2 weeks

Edited by Fogfog

Personally, I like all of the information that I have learned about Ocean Cay.  My concern is that Meraviglia's last port is Ocean Cay on a day when the cruise is winding done.  Leaving the island so late and needing to get luggage out for next morning's disembarkation in Miami will provide stress for me if I choose to spend much time on the island during the day.  And, what about the last night's dinner aboard?  I enjoy that last opportunity to connect with the ship's staff and with any with whom I have dined.  I would suggest that MSC alter their itineraries that include Ocean Cay as being the first port of call rather than the last one.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Personally, I like all of the information that I have learned about Ocean Cay.  My concern is that Meraviglia's last port is Ocean Cay on a day when the cruise is winding done.  Leaving the island so late and needing to get luggage out for next morning's disembarkation in Miami will provide stress for me if I choose to spend much time on the island during the day.  And, what about the last night's dinner aboard?  I enjoy that last opportunity to connect with the ship's staff and with any with whom I have dined.  I would suggest that MSC alter their itineraries that include Ocean Cay as being the first port of call rather than the last one.

I would agree.  I don't like any port call on the final full day.  Seaday is great to relax and can handle all the other packing details without rushing back from a port. 

On 10/15/2019 at 5:47 PM, cruiseguyinorl said:

Bret

When is the YC section expected to be completed?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I would agree.  I don't like any port call on the final full day.  Seaday is great to relax and can handle all the other packing details without rushing back from a port. 

I also agree. Our final day is usually like LMaxwell's day. Since OC will be our last day, there is a good chance we will not even get off the ship (maybe briefly), but that is our SOP at nearly every Caribbean port since we have seen them all. It should be a great day to enjoy what may usually be crowded ship experiences, the Spa for example.

One thing that has not been mentioned yet, but in our experience when returning to either FL or TX ports in the late fall/winter months, the last day is usually cool to cold with rain. I can remember one time when that was not the case and it was a great day. Sunny, and mild not hot as more typical in the other ports farther away from FL. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 11:40 AM, Fogfog said:

Do you expect they will do something for the YC buffet/bar service etc until the area is built out...

or will there be few if any YC perks on OC until completion? 

Far fewer YC pax and the idea of being with 1000s of folks isn't appealing..hence booking YC

also  any tips on getting a response from Status Match...Its been 2 weeks

I sent in my request for my son on Sept. 18th and received my status match yesterday

On 10/16/2019 at 8:11 PM, rkacruiser said:

hmmm Had not thought about that! good point about a beach day and packing etc. Interesting point.

The OC is to have a party like atmosphere that evening and there is a lightshow from the lighthouse etc

Good point that we will have to prepack most of our stuff that morning or afternoon (break from the sun) to be ale to enjoy evening on OC. So certainly for those who are heavy packers and leave bags by the door-it means being organized