Help for after final payment

sunlover5

We have made final payment and cruise in a little over a week.  Prices dropped drastically and our NCL representative is #1-hard to understand, and #2 has given us so many different answers.  Do they offer upgrades or onboard credit?  She said something if we take a deal they offer, then that is the only one we can have even if price goes down more??!!

We have never sailed NCL so I would appreciate anyones experience or help.

We have gotten onboard credit or a cabin upgrade on different cruiselines if price dropped.  A few cruises we have had 2 and 3 different price drops and we are always adjusted multiple times.  I would like to talk to someone else, but they keep putting me through to the same rep even though I say I would like to talk to someone else!! I can live with what we paid but I don't want to miss an opportunity for onboard credit or something else. 

Thank you so much.

They normally will give you OBC equal to 25% of the difference, and they will only do this one time.  If you sail in about a week, the price will probably not cone down any more anyway, in fact it might go up a bit from what you have been seeing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sunlover5 said:

We have made final payment and cruise in a little over a week.  Prices dropped drastically and our NCL representative is #1-hard to understand, and #2 has given us so many different answers.  Do they offer upgrades or onboard credit?  She said something if we take a deal they offer, then that is the only one we can have even if price goes down more??!!

We have never sailed NCL so I would appreciate anyones experience or help.

We have gotten onboard credit or a cabin upgrade on different cruiselines if price dropped.  A few cruises we have had 2 and 3 different price drops and we are always adjusted multiple times.  I would like to talk to someone else, but they keep putting me through to the same rep even though I say I would like to talk to someone else!! I can live with what we paid but I don't want to miss an opportunity for onboard credit or something else. 

Thank you so much.

I just called about a price drop. Was given 25% of price difference as OBC since there was nothing that I wanted to upgrade to without paying more.  My cruise is 5 days away.

don't know if this is relevant. However our Sept cruise is paid in Full and we took 3 allowed  out of 4 cruise Perks. SDP , UBP, and Internet min. About a month later , our NCL person ( have used him for 4 cruises ) called and now added the 4th Perk to our cruise ( the $50 port excursion credit ) anyway.

You have 4 options and I have done all 4 on my upcoming 6/16 Escape cruise

1) Take a 1 time upgrade to another higher category that is currently the same price or cheaper than what you paid. 

2) Take a 25% OBC for the total price difference in your cruise fare x 2. So if you paid $1199 and now $1099 you would receive $50 OBC                                     (1199-$1099=$100x2=$200x.25=$50)

3) Pay for an upgrade by paying he difference in ur current fare to a higher category cabin.

4) Wait to see if it drops more and do either of the 3 above at a later time

I have NEVER been told we can’t do these either through NCL or a TA. if you take option 2 though I believe you can’t even pay for an upgrade at that point u less you bid on an upgrade through the NCL Upgrade Advantage

seems you have some suggestions; hope one will work for you. Call her back, if you don't get satisfaction see if you can talk to someone else. I know people have to have jobs but nothing other than snotty people bothers me more than trying to deal, on the phone with someone who is hard to understand. 

Something similar happened to me on my recent TA on the Epic.  I way overpaid for a balcony cabin after final payment and then a one month before the cruise I noticed that the mini suite was about $800 lower than what I paid for my balcony.  I called my NCL guy and asked him if they would upgrade me to the mini suite for free.  He had to talk to his supervisor but they said as long as I accepted a mini suite guarantee then they would do it.  I recently had some bad luck with the guarantee program but I thought how bad could the location be for a mini suite.  Turns out the location for the mini suite was fantastic so I'm glad that I went for it.  So like the previous posters have mentioned call and ask to be upgraded for free or ask for OBC.  After final payment you really are at their mercy as technically they don't have to do anything.

12 hours ago, Hockeydad1972 said:

You have 4 options and I have done all 4 on my upcoming 6/16 Escape cruise

1) Take a 1 time upgrade to another higher category that is currently the same price or cheaper than what you paid. 

2) Take a 25% OBC for the total price difference in your cruise fare x 2. So if you paid $1199 and now $1099 you would receive $50 OBC                                     (1199-$1099=$100x2=$200x.25=$50)

3) Pay for an upgrade by paying he difference in ur current fare to a higher category cabin.

4) Wait to see if it drops more and do either of the 3 above at a later time

I have NEVER been told we can’t do these either through NCL or a TA. if you take option 2 though I believe you can’t even pay for an upgrade at that point u less you bid on an upgrade through the NCL Upgrade Advantage

You have done all 4 of these at the same time for the same cruise???

8 minutes ago, flaminog said:

You have done all 4 of these at the same time for the same cruise???

I actually have.. 5 cabins booked for our 6/16 Escape to Bermida

Have 2 cabins for our young’s adult children. Upgraded them for free from inside to OV as OV dropped to the same price as I paid for inside. Then upgraded them to Balconies for $40 per cabin when those prices dropped to within $20 of what we originally paid

my cabin was originally inside. Paid to upgrade to balcony a couple months ago not knowing prices were gonna drop even more. Paid $260 total for this. Then the price of my category dropped by $330 and I was able to get OBC for $165 for the price drop. Now had I waited I may have been able to upgrade to a mini suite for free but I would rather have the $165 in OBC then the Mini.

I don’t think stretching the truth or guessing helps anyone in here.. No reason for me to embellish as it al happened!! 

Glad to help!!

Edited by Hockeydad1972

6 minutes ago, Hockeydad1972 said:

I actually have.. 5 cabins booked for our 6/16 Escape to Bermida

Have 2 cabins for our young’s adult children. Upgraded them for free from inside to OV as OV dropped to the same price as I paid for inside. Then upgraded them to Balconies for $40 per cabin when those prices dropped to within $20 of what we originally paid

my cabin was originally inside. Paid to upgrade to balcony a couple months ago not knowing prices were gonna drop even more. Paid $260 total for this. Then the price of my category dropped by $330 and I was able to get OBC for $165 for the price drop. Now had I waited I may have been able to upgrade to a mini suite for free but I would rather have the $165 in OBC then the Mini.

I don’t think stretching the truth or guessing helps anyone in here.. No reason for me to embellish as it al happened!! 

Glad to help!!

Hm. Might get on the horn with NCL then-we sail on Sunday on the Breakaway. 

Got a direct/free upgrade from Inside to Oceanview last week when I saw that the 1069 I paid in February for my inside was $120 more than the $949 for the Oceanview. 

Now the balconies are showing that 949 price. Still cheaper than what I paid. Hmm. Do you think I'll be able to get OBC for this?

1 minute ago, flaminog said:

Hm. Might get on the horn with NCL then-we sail on Sunday on the Breakaway. 

Got a direct/free upgrade from Inside to Oceanview last week when I saw that the 1069 I paid in February for my inside was $120 more than the $949 for the Oceanview. 

Now the balconies are showing that 949 price. Still cheaper than what I paid. Hmm. Do you think I'll be able to get OBC for this?

You won’t be able to do both. if you already took the free upgrade then unfortunately you won’t be able to take a 2nd upgrade or get the OBC. An option may be to pay to upgrade to a balcony that’s slightly higher then the $1069 you paid.. I’ll look for you and tell you your best bet.. Did you book direct with NCL?

Wow...Hockeydad1972 seems things worked for you.  I did take the OBC for our cabins but was told that was a one time thing.  So if they dropped more we couldn't do it again......we booked sailaway price so not sure if that is why???  We sail June 9 to Bermuda and tons of balconies available!

Ok, so yesterday when I went to look at prices for balconies on my sailing the lowest category (that wasn't a sailaway) was $949. This morning all of them said "not available" for a few minutes and now they all read sold out. Is this NCL screwing with it so they can play with it for upgrades? HIGHLY doubt a group bought up 150 balcony cabins or so 4 days before sail.

7 minutes ago, flaminog said:

Ok, so yesterday when I went to look at prices for balconies on my sailing the lowest category (that wasn't a sailaway) was $949. This morning all of them said "not available" for a few minutes and now they all read sold out. Is this NCL screwing with it so they can play with it for upgrades? HIGHLY doubt a group bought up 150 balcony cabins or so 4 days before sail.

They probably just placed all the customers who had purchased "Sail Away" balconies over the prior months. Once they hit a tipping point and the number of SA's reach the quantity of open balconies, it's time to assign.

2 hours ago, robin13 said:

Something similar happened to me on my recent TA on the Epic.  I way overpaid for a balcony cabin after final payment and then a one month before the cruise I noticed that the mini suite was about $800 lower than what I paid for my balcony.  I called my NCL guy and asked him if they would upgrade me to the mini suite for free.  He had to talk to his supervisor but they said as long as I accepted a mini suite guarantee then they would do it.  I recently had some bad luck with the guarantee program but I thought how bad could the location be for a mini suite.  Turns out the location for the mini suite was fantastic so I'm glad that I went for it.  So like the previous posters have mentioned call and ask to be upgraded for free or ask for OBC.  After final payment you really are at their mercy as technically they don't have to do anything.

We did this on our recent Escape cruise as well. Noticed about 2 weeks out that the balcony pricing was less than what we had paid for our inside cabin when we booked. Called our travel provider and asked what could be done, and NCL offered a GTY balcony upgrade for no additional cost. We were a little nervous about the GTY, but ended up with a great location. We, of course, did not get additional perks, but did keep the 1 perk we had originally received with the inside cabin.

2 hours ago, basicprincess24 said:

We did this on our recent Escape cruise as well. Noticed about 2 weeks out that the balcony pricing was less than what we had paid for our inside cabin when we booked. Called our travel provider and asked what could be done, and NCL offered a GTY balcony upgrade for no additional cost. We were a little nervous about the GTY, but ended up with a great location. We, of course, did not get additional perks, but did keep the 1 perk we had originally received with the inside cabin.

I also got to keep my original two perks as I booked with a group.  I got the drink package for free (didn't even have to pay the 20% tips) and gratuities were also free.  I was very pleased with how things finally turned out and learned that I needed to be more patient when booking with NCL.

4 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

They probably just placed all the customers who had purchased "Sail Away" balconies over the prior months. Once they hit a tipping point and the number of SA's reach the quantity of open balconies, it's time to assign.

Ah, I do think that's what's going on-checked again and all the Oceanviews are showing sold out now too. Poop. 

Maybe once all the Sailaways are figured out they will send out the answers to bids 😄

Yes Robin13 I too will be patient when booking with NCL.  Also, my rep kept telling me over and over, she checks prices all the time and will call me and adjust obc, etc.  No problem. At time of booking She never told me it would be only one time and we couldn't even pay for an upgrade if we already took a deal.  I have tried to contact her today by 3 different methods and no reply.  Guess I will call and ask for someone new. 

• Like 1