Bringing wine back on board

trvlwrld

Yes. But no extra charge for one bottle per person at your original point of embarkation (in other words, one free bottle per cruise p.p..) $15.00 per bottle for any additional bottle, per person and this will also apply at other ports of call that are intermediates on your itinerary.

• Haha 1

Yes you can bring it back onboard if it is a 750 ml bottle.  There may be an alcohol table set up when you come back onboard and they may charge you the $15 corking fee.  Sometimes the table is set up and sometimes not.  I have done it many times.  

3 hours ago, satxdiver said:

Yes you can bring it back onboard if it is a 750 ml bottle.  There may be an alcohol table set up when you come back onboard and they may charge you the $15 corking fee.  Sometimes the table is set up and sometimes not.  I have done it many times.  

Or they will take it away till the last night !

Here are the rules:  

"Can I bring booze onboard a Princess cruise?------"guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted."

So according to these rules, with the exception of one free bottle of wine p.p. at embarkation, you can bring all you want on board initially and at intermediates, as long as you pay $15.00 p.b.

All our cruising with Princess in recent years has involved overseas ports plus we have been on the Pacific Princess during our last three voyages with them. Their smallest vessel. On that ship they have been real lax with respect to checking for liquor in your hand carries. We have yet to be charged the $15.00 p.b., ever. Since your cruise involves a lot of USA travel I'm not certain what you should expect from Princess. It seems to me that when we are on a ship in the Caribbean they operate much more strictly in regards to some of their policies. We too, take many Princess wine shore excursions, I like to say that when they are offering these, they are even more lax than normal when checking you back on board. But I can't prove it. Here is my recent response regarding this subject to someone else, we got off the Pacific Princess on Dec.22,2018:

"During our last three months’ worth of voyaging on Princess, which has been overseas, in Europe and the Pacific. We have never had a problem with bringing wine on board at any port and quantities weren't restricted. When the ship has a bottle check desk, which is rare, except for our initial embarkation one free bottle p.p., I'm prepared to pay the 15.00 p.b.

However, if contract personnel are operating the security screening shore side it appears to me they are told not to worry about liquor, even spirits. In addition, if contract personnel are doing the security screening, more often than not all the ship personnel are doing is checking you back on board and verifying your ship I.D., no ship board second security screening or bottle check desk, they could care less if you have booze. But, if ship personnel are operating security screening, even without a bottle check desk, then you better be careful with spirits.

My experience to date:

Will be taking my 5th cruise this January. Have always brought at least 2-750ml bottles of wine back to the ship from every port and have NEVER had to pay corkage on it. This may have changed and as a previous poster said it is most probably hit and miss.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, nbc said:

My experience to date:

Will be taking my 5th cruise this January. Have always brought at least 2-750ml bottles of wine back to the ship from every port and have NEVER had to pay corkage on it. This may have changed and as a previous poster said it is most probably hit and miss.

did you have to pay when you took one of those bottles to the mdr or other venue?

19 minutes ago, voljeep said:

did you have to pay when you took one of those bottles to the mdr or other venue?

That is a hit & miss in my experience.  I am always bringing one or two bottles to dinner (two different types so we are covered depending on what food we order).  I take them back to the room and bring again until emptied.  Then there will be new ones.  I think after a while some waiters won't necessarily ping you for every new bottle.  Technically, the charge applies each time a new bottle is opened that has not already been paid for.  Last two cruises, I had the excess count tallied up at embarkation.

• Thanks 1

I have been on a number of Princess wine excursions in ports and have never had a problem with bringing the wine back aboard.  Sometimes I had to pay the corking fee and sometimes not.  It is hit or miss.  Last year I went on a ship tour of a rum distillery and purchased a nice bottle of their rum.  I carried it on board and up to my room.  I did save it for when the cruise was over but could have easily drank it onboard.  I  have seen alcohol taken and kept until the cruise is over but never wine which is allowed.  

We have been on 20+ Princess cruises and at least once per cruise we  bring a bottle of wine back on board at a port stop.  We know the rules and bring it on knowing that we might have to pay the $15 fee, but we have never once  been asked to pay.