explorer cabin selection issue...

I booked cruise recently. At the time we had a choice of booking a standard balcony cabin for less money but upon comparing sizes on the royal caribbean uk website we decided to pay extra and go for a category 3b spacious ocean view balcony room.:Two twin beds that convert to Royal King, sitting area with sofa, full bathroom and private balcony. Stateroom: 272 sq. ft. Balcony: 80 sq. ft.

I have since discovered that the information on the website is in fact incorrect and the room we have booked is 179 sq.ft. and the balcony is 42 sq.ft.  

Am i being picky or would you feel this is false advertising?

Had we had the correct information we probably wouldn't have spent the extra money and would have gone for a standard balcony cabin as i don't think the sizes are different enough to warrant the extra cost. 

i have clarification from an online chat with customer service that the information on the website is incorrect. They said all i can do is email customer services to escalate it which i have done so am waiting on a response back at the moment. but as i think the ship is pretty much full I'm not sure what they can do about it. I don't think a room of that size even exists on the explorer!

2 minutes ago, Binkybot said:

i have clarification from an online chat with customer service that the information on the website is incorrect. They said all i can do is email customer services to escalate it which i have done so am waiting on a response back at the moment. but as i think the ship is pretty much full I'm not sure what they can do about it. I don't think a room of that size even exists on the explorer!

Maybe they can give you OBC in the amount of the difference between standard balcony price and what you paid.

8 minutes ago, Binkybot said:

OK, that's just a normal size spacious ocean view. I just called up the UK site deck plan and agree their sizes are totally wrong. I think that they have muddled up the accessible spacious ocean view size and the normal one.

I hope that they offer you some sort of gesture and that they correct the website.

Edited by kernow
adding text

17 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

A JS is about the size you were originally told....there is a big price difference for that space!  

this is our first time cruising so have no idea what room sizes normally are for different categories hence why we looked at the website and used their information to help us decide. 

It may not be needed but I would take screenshots of the deck plan with the wrong size on and also your chat on the the other site. It never hurts to have proof when asking for compensation.  

Sorry this happened to you .  Agree with others you should definitely get some sort of compensation/OBC for paying a higher price and not getting what the website advertised you were getting.  Best of luck and keep us posted.

8 minutes ago, Bloodgem said:

It may not be needed but I would take screenshots of the deck plan with the wrong size on and also your chat on the the other site. It never hurts to have proof when asking for compensation.  

I have done this and sent it to them attached to my email.

I also have a screenshot of the online chat where the customer service advisor states "there is an error on the website showing the wrong cabin details." 

I'm pretty sure there's errors all over their website, and unfortunately they don't seem to care or stand by them.  Looking at this option and the square footage description, the spacious option is actually the one with a smaller balcony, same size room, and costs more.  Doesn't make any sense.

AquaTheater Suite - 1 Bedroom

Enjoy the best seat in the house during AquaTheater performances in a comfy suite with sweeping ocean views.

Beds
  • Two twin beds that convert to a Royal King bed
  • One double sofa bed
Size
  • Stateroom: 562 sq. ft.
  • Balcony: 631 sq. ft.
Occupancy Up to 4 guests

From $6,486*
From $583 /month info
Per Person

Spacious AquaTheater Suite - 1 Bedroom

Spacious AquaTheater Suite - 1 Bedroom

Enjoy a great space to the AquaTheater performances from your balcony.

Beds
  • Two twin beds that convert to a Royal King bed
  • One double sofa bed
Size
  • Stateroom: 562 sq. ft.
  • Balcony: 589 sq. ft.
Occupancy Up to 4 guests

From $6,611*
From $594 /month info
Per Person

1 hour ago, Binkybot said:

I have done this and sent it to them attached to my email.

I also have a screenshot of the online chat where the customer service advisor states "there is an error on the website showing the wrong cabin details." 

Glad to hear. Hope you do get some compensation. As voyager70  has said please keep us updated and good luck.

to update on this i still haven't had a response to my email. I chased up on twitter hoping to get a quicker response and someone replied to me to say that " there are some rooms that are smaller than others within the 3b category" 

I don't find this to be a satisfactory response and have responded to let them know this and asked for more information. 

12 minutes ago, Binkybot said:

to update on this i still haven't had a response to my email. I chased up on twitter hoping to get a quicker response and someone replied to me to say that " there are some rooms that are smaller than others within the 3b category" 

I don't find this to be a satisfactory response and have responded to let them know this and asked for more information. 

They are playing with you.... rats! 👎

another update: i still hadn't received an email response so i went back to the online chat again and was told that all category 3b room sizes vary, there is nothing they can do for me other than offer the $50 on board credit or completely cancel the booking. 

very disappointing but doesn't seem to be much i can do as there are no other rooms available now that sleep 4. apparently they don't know what the price difference is between a standard balcony cabin and a spacious balcony cabin because prices fluctuate daily so they couldn't offer me more than $50.

• 4 weeks later...

We are seasoned cruisers but first timers on RC. We booked an extra large balcony cabin. Cabin number 8520. Will I be having the same issue?  We paid extra for the larger balcony room instead of the standard size balcony room. Now I am worried that I got bad info too.  

18 hours ago, rhinomike said:

We are seasoned cruisers but first timers on RC. We booked an extra large balcony cabin. Cabin number 8520. Will I be having the same issue?  We paid extra for the larger balcony room instead of the standard size balcony room. Now I am worried that I got bad info too.  

yours appears to be a category 4b stateroom whereas ours is a category 3b but i am not sure what the difference is between each. I think all it may be is that a 3b sleeps 4 and a 4b only sleeps 2. the balconies are no bigger than a standard room, the rooms are slightly bigger. 

Edited by Binkybot

4 hours ago, Binkybot said:

yours appears to be a category 4b stateroom whereas ours is a category 3b but i am not sure what the difference is between each. I think all it may be is that a 3b sleeps 4 and a 4b only sleeps 2. the balconies are no bigger than a standard room, the rooms are slightly bigger. 

Thank you.  Yes.  I looked it up and our description was correct. Sorry you are having a problem.  But our Spacious Balcony Cabin was only slightly more than the regular balcony cabin.  So it was worth it for us.