CocoCay beach/pool area crowds now that the waterpark is open

After a year of waiting, our cruise is finally coming this next weekend. Our first stop is Coco Cay. For people who have been on the island since the waterpark opened, how crowded are the free areas now(beaches and Oasis Lagoon)?

At $80/pp we have absolutely no plans to even go near the waterpark area, so was hoping it has been siphoning people away from the other areas of the island so that they don't feel as crowded.

Thoughts?

Hi Nano, we just returned on Harmony of the Seas yesterday and were on Coco Cay last Monday.  It really over delivered our expectations!  We spent about 5 hours (morning) on the island and did not experience any large crowds.  We got off the ship early and took the tram to South Beach.  We had an incredible time walking on the sand bar out into the water about 100+ yards.  We saw all kinds of marine life, even a large stingray close by!  We then headed to the swimming pool which is so large that even if crowded there is so much room to swim it did not bother us.  All and all we had an awesome time on Coco Cay and did not spend a penny.  It was a great way to start our trip!

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, footballmp said:

We spent about 5 hours (morning) on the island and did not experience any large crowds.

Well now I am excited, your day sounds exactly what I want to do and knowing that you never felt crowded is great to hear! Just checked Cruise Mapper and my ship is the only one scheduled to be in CoCo Cay on that day as well.

Thanks footballmp!

Edited by nanowerx

I was there the 2nd weekend Perfect Day officially opened.  We were on Navigator and the only ship there that day.  There wasn't very many people at the pool until noon or so.  Once the DJ set up and started playing music it got busier (and louder).  There were TONS of available chairs on all the beaches, seemed weird to see the beaches not crowded at all.  We had a Beach Bed and that part of the beach was a ghost town.  Although I assumed the beds/bungalows were sold out since they disappeared off the Cruise Planner months before my sailing, there were only a handful of people occupying them.  

We were also on Harmony this past Monday and found it to feel very uncrowded. We didn't hit the pool until late morning/early afternoon and easily found some stools at the swim up bar. I'm sure the water park has something to do with it.

I was at cocay cay on the mariner on 5/23. Split out time between the chill cabanas and splash away bay. Never saw a crowd-even when we wandered through oasis. My sister and her bf did the water park and said only one ride (the tallest one) had a line. We spent a lot of time walking to the bar and in the ocean and it never seemed crowded. Actually it felt empty, even in the bathrooms and eating areas. We stayed there from 830-330 (ship didn’t leave till 630) and are looking forward to returning. Only thing we wish we did was check out the island activities for families. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ronaldo807 said:

We were also on Harmony this past Monday and found it to feel very uncrowded. We didn't hit the pool until late morning/early afternoon and easily found some stools at the swim up bar. I'm sure the water park has something to do with it.

It's nice to see all the posts about the Waterpark and the positive experiences.  

A few posters in another thread made things sound like "the end of the world" there, not to mention "2 - 2 1/2 hour lines". Clearly that was not an accurate/normal scenario. Later, it was found that those reports came one week when two larger ships were docked during Spring Break. That explained it.

Thanks for people taking the time to share their good experiences.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

It's nice to see all the posts about the Waterpark and the positive experiences.  

A few posters in another thread made things sound like "the end of the world" there, not to mention "2 - 2 1/2 hour lines". Clearly that was not an accurate/normal scenario. Later, it was found that those reports came one week when two larger ships were docked during Spring Break. That explained it.

Thanks for people taking the time to share their good experiences.

Well keep in mind that I was referring to the water park pulling guests away from the other areas. The cruise director announced shortly after people started going onto the island that the wait for Daredevil's peak was already 45 minutes long so it would not surprise me at all if those slides had very extended wait times. We did not go to the waterpark so I can only comment on what we were told.

4 hours ago, nanowerx said:

At $80/pp we have absolutely no plans to even go near the waterpark area, so was hoping it has been siphoning people away from the other areas of the island so that they don't feel as crowded.

Thoughts?

We're paying $62/person in November for a Cabana in the Thrill Waterpark that also includes full admission for our party of 6 people...a shaded cabana with bottled water, towels, loungers, and cabana attendant included at the price was too hard to pass up...so if price was ever an issue...it pays to check the pricing (often). We've seen our Cabana deal bounce around from $373 on the low side to $549 on the high side, and everything in between.

5 minutes ago, Ronaldo807 said:

Well keep in mind that I was referring to the water park pulling guests away from the other areas. The cruise director announced shortly after people started going onto the island that the wait for Daredevil's peak was already 45 minutes long so it would not surprise me at all if those slides had very extended wait times. 

Understood. The "wait times" have been reported to be everything from 10 minutes to 2 hours+...so when someone goes and how many ships are docked can play big roles in the actual experience. Thanks.

33 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

We're paying $62/person in November for a Cabana in the Thrill Waterpark that also includes full admission for our party of 6 people...a shaded cabana with bottled water, towels, loungers, and cabana attendant included at the price was too hard to pass up...so if price was ever an issue...it pays to check the pricing (often). We've seen our Cabana deal bounce around from $373 on the low side to $549 on the high side, and everything in between.

We're looking forward to getting our $62/person's worth from this style Thrill Water Park cabana home base. 🙂

Coco Cay Thrill Waterpark Cabana 1.jpg

1 hour ago, StrikeEagle said:

I'm wondering can more than 1 ship dock on the same day at Coco Cay?

Thanks

Yes, more than one can dock there.  It will be interesting to see what ships they will dock together, hopefully not any of the Oasis class.  The busy summer months and spring break sailings should be crazy there if there are two ships.  

I was at Coco Cay on Memorial Day Weekend on the Navigator.  Also berthed was the Mariner of the Seas.  There were over 6000 guests and tons of graduates and younger passengers , with their children ,as as it was a holiday weekend . It was busy but not crowded.   The island, the pool and the water park  is huge, plenty of chairs in both sun and shade.  Tried walking to the Chill cabanas, as I reserved a cabana on a later cruise,  but ended up taking the tram,BTW, they are not large, and they fill up quickly,  and in the hot sun made for some uncomfortable waiting.. The island itself gives a warm welcome. 

• Like 1