Vegan Choices

rayandshirl

I didn't even attempt to keep vegan on our last cruise.  I usually do vegan at home and vegetarian out so it wasn't something I went out of my way to keep up on the cruise ship.  I will say that it was very difficult at the buffet.  Things are not labeled well and it was a guessing game as to what had meat in it and what didn't.  I found it much easier to know what I was getting at the main dining room.  At least there things are clearly marked if they are vegetarian.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2019 at 7:01 PM, rayandshirl said:

I know Princess does a good job on providing gluten free menu items for its passengers.  Does anyone have any experience as a Vegan with meal choices on Princess?  Thank you.

Me! I've sailed numerous times on Princess as a vegan. You just let them know ahead of time, and they'll modify any meals to be vegan for you. It isn't a problem and I find that they're super helpful with making vegan food for you! 

I wrote this about 5 years ago, but it still holds true!

https://justinpluslauren.com/eating-vegan-on-a-cruise-ship/

• Like 3

For any dietary restriction, the MDR is better than the buffet. You order from the head waiter the night before. He will know what is vegan, what is not, and what can be modified to make it vegan. Don't rely on the descriptions, since they don't always list all of the ingredients, but the head waiter will know all of the ingredients.

The buffet is more difficult, but the MDR is not available for lunch on port days. Ask to talk with a head waiter or chef at the buffet. He can tell you what is vegan and what is not. Another problem with the buffet is cross-contamination - passengers move serving utensils from one dish to another, so a vegan item may have some meat that came from an adjacent item. If this is a concern, they can serve your plate from the kitchen instead of from the buffet line in order to avoid this problem.

On 6/6/2019 at 9:54 AM, atobols said:

I found it much easier to know what I was getting at the main dining room.  At least there things are clearly marked if they are vegetarian.

Still, you need to be careful. Sometimes items marked as vegetarian are not. For example, a vegetable soup may be marked vegetarian, but is actually based on a chicken broth.

Work with your headwaiter to find out what is really vegetarian.

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve been a vegan for 45 years. When I cruise I bring a list of food favourites (and menu dishes) with me and on the first night give that list to my head waiter and ask him/her to ensure that it’s strictly adhered to. Princess have created some amazing meals for my husband and me.

Instead of a list of foods that I dont like, my list comprises of foods that I do like. That eliminates any food items that I haven’t thought of and that I don’t like!!

I avoid the Horizon Court and buffets.

Edited by heddyjan
Typo
  • Like 2