Question about RC internet and ring alarm system

Has anyone had their Ring alarm system send you alerts while you are on the ship connected to their wifi?  I am considering purchasing wifi in order to get alerts while we are away, but I wasn't sure if the RC internet was fast/strong enough to get these alerts.  If so, are they real-time or delayed?  Someone recently tried to break into our home and I am a little paranoid now.  My husband says to relax because we have nothing to steal. 🙂  But, they can steal my sense of security and that is more than any material item we have ever had.  

Thanks

Edited by jp2746

5 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

Has anyone had their Ring alarm system send you alerts while you are on the ship connected to their wifi?  I am considering purchasing wifi in order to get alerts while we are away, but I wasn't sure if the RC internet was fast/strong enough to get these alerts.  If so, are they real-time or delayed?  Someone recently tried to break into our home and I am a little paranoid now.  My husband says to relax because we have nothing to steal. 🙂  But, they can steal my sense of security and that is more than any material item we have ever had.  

Thanks

Yes, we have Ring and have gotten alerts online while cruising RCI.  So far, I’ve only caught my pet sitter showing up.  

Our car talks to us while we cruise too.  I got an alert that we had a flat tire.  

11 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

Thanks

You knowing about it in real time versus a delay really isn't going to change that.  I'd say just go and enjoy your vacation!

I know.  Everyone said just enjoy because we have insurance.  But... they tried to break in while we were sleeping and it was pretty traumatic.  It was only a week ago and I am still in paranoid mode.  I figured if I received an alert, I could call my neighbor to check on everything.  We only have two ports and one day in Labadee, so it's not like I can connect in port that often.  I want to relax and I am not sure if I will be more relaxed not knowing or with alerts.  The one thing I really love about cruises is that we are all disconnected from our devices for a week or at least while we are on the boat.  I'm not sure if I am willing to give that up because I know my 20-year-old will be wanting to log in to see his email or something.   Plus, I'm not sure it is worth $85 to hear a ding and be stressed every time a car drives by.  But at least I know that I can get alerts if I go in that direction.  Thanks!

Edited by jp2746

Yes, the Ring alerts DO come through to your phone. So one cruise we are sitting in the Diamond Lounge and I get a notification that there is someone ringing my doorbell. Well by the time I got my phone out and pulled the ap up, they were gone, but I could watch the video. So I saw our next door neighbor ringing and standing there. Now I am wondering why was she there? Is there something wrong at our house? Is the pool pump broken? Was there a bad storm? Of course I cannot find this neighbors phone number and now we worried all night until I was able to get a  hold of her the next day. Turns out all she wanted was to talk about a trivial neighborhood issue. But I worried all night long! So keep in mind that getting alerts may give you more stress then you planned for! 

I have Ring and yes I get alerts while sailing (on several ships).   I've even carried on conversations with people ringing my doorbell.    Just a suggestion... add a trusted person to your ring account while you are not home.   Often while on shore, or if the service is acting up you won't get alerts.  My sister is on my account and she can see my ring and answer door bells or call the police if something is happening.   I'm sorry you had such an experience... but glad Ring came through for you.   Our local sheriff's office circulates ring videos and I love my system. 

Also, my phone works on Wi-Fi with no extra fees (most of the time).   I can't pick up messages, but I can accept and make calls through the Wi-Fi.   Sometimes, depending I guess on the location this service goes down... but you can contact your neighbors or family or friends if you think something is going on at home.  

RCCL has the fastest Internet at sea.  No delays.  All your stuffs will work like at home.  We have a dozen+ cameras and can watch them all from the ship.   As mentioned above, you can turn OFF cellular and enable internet calling on all smartphones and make/receive calls over the onboard WiFi.   

What ship?   Most of the fleet has excellent WiFi throughout the ships.  

You will have to share a login.    So if someone wants to check email, you will have to log out.  

On 6/15/2019 at 5:04 PM, jp2746 said:

Thanks

We get them. We are able to check if the pet sitter is coming in everyday and how much time she spends with our cats. We also have inside/outside cameras in case anything happens.

We turn our alerts off (the time difference can be a problem) and the neighbor across the street keeps an eye on our house..has our near by adult children's cell numbers. However once I turn the alerts on I'm able to check every motion alert that has happened.

What did the many of you that are so concerned about getting instant alerts do before "Ring" ?

7 hours ago, Ashland said:

We turn our alerts off (the time difference can be a problem) and the neighbor across the street keeps an eye on our house..has our near by adult children's cell numbers. However once I turn the alerts on I'm able to check every motion alert that has happened.

What did the many of you that are so concerned about getting instant alerts do before "Ring" ?

I was not home at the time or was not watching when a neigbor had a visiting child that scratched their LONG name in my car with a pebble.  The policeman that came said it was a shame we did not have video since the signature could have been written by anyone.  Now we have video.  I don't need instant alerts, it's just an included enhancement to the device.  

Edited by CruiseKeeper