Norwegian Sun Open Bar vs. Beverage Package

Spartan1771

My wife and I will be sailing on the Norwegian Sun in a few months and have a few questions about the open bar vs. the beverage package.  This will be our first time on Norwegian, so we don't know what to expect.  We've cruised Celebrity a lot in recent years and always get the premium beverage package.  We love it because almost all of the beverages on the ship are included in it: alcohol beverages up to around $13.00, coffee, tea, juices, water and sports beverages, etc.  Not having to worry about a large bar bill at the end of the trip has been wonderful.  I'm having a hard time determining if there is any difference between Norwegian's open bar and their top of the line alcohol beverage package?  I've heard the open bar does not include coffee, but can't really confirm that.  Although we aren't huge drinkers, we do enjoy sampling various drinks while on a cruise, so I want to know what we are getting ourselves in to and if we should pay additional for the beverage package. 

As always, any and all help will be most appreciated.

Does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages, energy drinks, vending machines, souvenir items or wine stations.

Regular coffee is free in the Buffet and from the coffee maker in your stateroom.  Free coffee from room service before 10 am as well.

• Like 1

The open bar is quite nice as most people drink the included beverages so there is none of the constant signings of slips. We were mostly drinking beer around the pool and there are still waiters. Since there are no slips to sign, I did bring a nice stack of $1 bills. Most people didn't tip and by just giving $1 tips the waiters were constantly dropping by asking us what we wanted, so we never had to make our way to the bar. A few tips will get you some awesome service. 

• Like 1

We got the premium plus beverage package as a perk for Sky this coming weekend. Am I reading this correctly, that bottles of wine are included at dining venues?? It’s a 3 night sailing. If so does anyone know what wines are included?

C455459D-DEA2-4C22-B4E5-47EA0D670D97.jpeg

Edited by Gopherpharm
  • Like 1

Does anyone know what cocktails and wine are included. I was going to take the premium package as one of our free at sea , but appears the only thing not really included is water, so probably don’t need it, perfectly happy with standard spirits, but like a Pinot with dinner and the occasional martini. 

Any help appreciated 

We are booked for Nov after they remove the open bar.  I'm assuming they will go back to swiping cards like any other cruiseline.    Here is my question as a newbie to this.  Is there limit to what I can order example can I order a water and drink at the same time.   Is there a wait between drinks? I'm very familiar with CCL Cheers which is one drink every 15 mins.   The last few cruises I've been on they wont even serve a non alcoholic at the same time as an alcoholic.   

We did sail NCL once 3 years ago and I feel like they let me order a drink for my hubby and I at the same time as long as they could see him at the table or what have you.  Are they easy going or did we just know the bartender too well. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2019 at 5:27 PM, el barco said:

Does anyone know what cocktails and wine are included. I was going to take the premium package as one of our free at sea , but appears the only thing not really included is water, so probably don’t need it, perfectly happy with standard spirits, but like a Pinot with dinner and the occasional martini. 

Any help appreciated 

The upgrade to the Premium with the free at sea on these all inclusive sailings is only about 6 bucks a day pp...well worth it, IMHO...I'll know for sure after my August 19 sailing.  I like HIGH line BOURBON.  Wife likes HIGH line gin.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2019 at 5:54 PM, hlb76 said:

We are booked for Nov after they remove the open bar.  I'm assuming they will go back to swiping cards like any other cruiseline.    Here is my question as a newbie to this.  Is there limit to what I can order example can I order a water and drink at the same time.   Is there a wait between drinks? I'm very familiar with CCL Cheers which is one drink every 15 mins.   The last few cruises I've been on they wont even serve a non alcoholic at the same time as an alcoholic.   

We did sail NCL once 3 years ago and I feel like they let me order a drink for my hubby and I at the same time as long as they could see him at the table or what have you.  Are they easy going or did we just know the bartender too well. 

You should be able to order the water and drink at the same time... if not go back and get the next drink, no 15 minute limit like Carnival.  No 15 drink limit either....

Last NCL cruise I order for me and my wife (who was not with me at the bar) and got both without a bother. I do tip every couple of times I go to the bar.

We are on the Sun in 40 days and have the PP, going to see what good bubbly I can get!

Edited by bobsfamily