Texting on the Ship

AnnieBabes

There is a bunch of us cruising together soon. Some of us bought the Wi-Fi package, others did not.

How do we communicate with each other on board? This question is specifically for the ones who did not purchase wi-fi.

Anyone use the NCL app to communicate, If so, how does it work?

4 minutes ago, AnnieBabes said:

There is a bunch of us cruising together soon. Some of us bought the Wi-Fi package, others did not.

How do we communicate with each other on board? This question is specifically for the ones who did not purchase wi-fi.

Anyone use the NCL app to communicate, If so, how does it work?

You still need to have an internet package for the App to work from what I recall.

7 minutes ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

You still need to have an internet package for the App to work from what I recall.

No. You need to pay a small fee to activate the messaging feature, but you do not need to buy a wifi package.

6 hours ago, AnnieBabes said:

Thanks. Have you used the messaging feature?

Everyone (even those who purchased wifi), need to pay the $10 per device activation fee. Then everyone can text and phone each other while on the ship. It also gives you discounted (~$0.79/minute) calling home. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TravelFun251 said:

Can't you use the NCL app and message on that without purchasing wifi? New to NCL but thought you could. Sailing next month, that's what I was planning.  Hope we can.

As BirdTravels stated..... everyone must pay the $10 activation per device even if they have a wifi package.  The two are independent of each other. 

25 minutes ago, TravelFun251 said:

Can't you use the NCL app and message on that without purchasing wifi? New to NCL but thought you could. Sailing next month, that's what I was planning.  Hope we can.

You need to install the app before you leave.  You DO NOT need to pay for the wifi package on board.  The app lets you see the activities for the day, and general information.  You CAN'T text, call or do anything else with the free app. 

23 minutes ago, TravelFun251 said:

you can use the app with messaging without the wifi package.  You have to pay the $10 for the messaging.  You'll connect your phone to a different wifi than the Internet wifi.  Instructions will be in your room for which wifi to connect to for the app to work.  Make sure to put your phone in airplane mode, then turn on your wifi to make sure you don't accidentally start roaming and be hit with a huge cell phone bill when you get home.  You can use the app totally free if you don't want the messaging.  You can use it to see what's going on that day (like a freestyle daily for the phone), check your bill, and make dinner/show reservations.  

yes, make sure you install the app ahead of time since you do need a data connection to download the app from the app store (apple) or play store (android).  Luckily I read about the app in the papers in my room before we got out of cell range.  I had to laugh at myself because on my previous cruise I remembered at the last minute to call my bank and let them know I was traveling out of the country so my card wouldn't be declined.  So twice now I've been standing out on deck as we sailed away getting some last second use of my cellular service

I stand corrected, lately for the Escape, Getaway, Pearl & Dawn ... you can download the free Norwegian App while connected to ship's WiFi inTRAnet, 10 minutes allowed - in case someone didn't do it and pre-install the App. No charges.

It is also the same firewalled SSid to connect for web browsing with various packages.

d0d2989a1fd0d58bfe9d352f62811468.jpg3f5703a22b22677bdc13cfff62fe2707.jpg6829e8c6f10b65e58b668f1a3bc52175.jpg

Andriod Pie 9.0 on Moto X4, Google Fi w Tapatalk