Re-positioning cruise

khewston

We are doing a re-positioning cruise that leaves from Manhattan and returns to Port Canaveral.  We live in Connecticut and it's about a 2-3 hour ride to the Manhattan cruise terminal.  On the  way home we would rather fly into Bradley (Hartford, Ct) than JFK.  Here are the different transportation we are considering.

1) Rent a car and driver to bring us to the cruise terminal ( $300-$350) the night before the cruise, stay at a hotel close to the port.  Have my daughter pick us up in Hartford when we get back.

2) Drive to JFK ourselves the night before the cruise, park in long term parking, take a taxi to a hotel near the port.  On the way home fly into JFK and our car will be waiting for us.

Anyone have any suggestions such as the best hotels near the port that is in a safe area?  Has anyone parked their car at JFK if they are not flying out of there?

Regarding option 1, why not just rent a car and return it in Manhattan to one of the rental locations in midtown Manhattan, then take a cab to your hotel?   Have you considered taking the train from Hartford (or New Haven) to NY?   Since you said you preferred to fly back into Bradley, I was just suggesting some other options for you to get to NY without driving your own car.

It looks like Enterprise has a drop location right at the Manhattan port that does one way drops.  You could save money by staying outside of the city and driving to the port in the morning.    You would probably have to pick up the car from an airport.

The drop fee is $100 but you should be saving this much by staying outside the city.  It looks like this location is only open till 1:00pm but you may be able to drop after hours if you want to stay in Manhattan and unload the car the same day.

16 hours ago, khewston said:

My husband WILL NOT take a train. LOL

I was just about to say-- the train is easily the best option here. About the same time as driving (and less if theres traffic on the road) and it drops you right at Penn Station. Much less expensive and most likely faster than hiring a car and driver and so much less hassle than returning a rental car. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, khewston said:

We are doing a re-positioning cruise that leaves from Manhattan and returns to Port Canaveral.  We live in Connecticut and it's about a 2-3 hour ride to the Manhattan cruise terminal.  On the  way home we would rather fly into Bradley (Hartford, Ct) than JFK.  Here are the different transportation we are considering.

1) Rent a car and driver to bring us to the cruise terminal ( $300-$350) the night before the cruise, stay at a hotel close to the port.  Have my daughter pick us up in Hartford when we get back.

2) Drive to JFK ourselves the night before the cruise, park in long term parking, take a taxi to a hotel near the port.  On the way home fly into JFK and our car will be waiting for us.

Anyone have any suggestions such as the best hotels near the port that is in a safe area?  Has anyone parked their car at JFK if they are not flying out of there?

I’ve used long term parking at JFK a number of times - no need to both fly out as well as in.  Unless you have a lot of luggage, you might consider taking the Airtrain from to long term parking lot to Jamaica Station and transferring to the Long Island RR to Penn Station as an alternative to taxi - which might be hard to get at the parking lot - the Airtrain is your way in and out.

Or: 3) Have that same daughter drive you to Hartford pre-cruise and take Amtrak to Penn Station.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Have that same daughter drive you to Hartford pre-cruise and take Amtrak to Penn Station.

I suggested the train in post number 2 above; OP replied that her husband won’t take trains. 

1 minute ago, Turtles06 said:

I suggested the train in post number 2 above; OP replied that her husband won’t take trains. 

You run into that attitude every now and then: people who “won’t” do this or “can’t” do that.  Preferences are understandable - but absolute refusals (barring cases of allergies or genuine phobias) can be simply tiresome (as well as difficult to understand when exhibited by some much older than two).

On 6/19/2019 at 8:38 PM, khewston said:

Thank you Turtles06 for the great suggestion.  I will look into renting a car.  My husband WILL NOT take a train. LOL

Your hubby would rather drive into Manhattan than take a train? Does he have much experience driving down to NY from CT? The train is a breeze. 

Edited by Got2Cruise

OP said they are 2 to 3 hours driving time/distance between NYC and CT (upper northeast corner of state ... being likely) and on a rainy Friday like today, it can easily stretch to 4 to 5 hours with traffic, accidents & construction detour & lane closure (worst/even at night & on weekends - I would check & plan ahead on CT's State DOT website) ... travel on I-95 and the Meritt enough to know the pain, even before crossing the state line into Westchester. 

Basically 2 bridges over the Bronx into Queens via CIP or I-678, that's easily another 1 extra hour of driving, trust me on this - unless you wish to drive to JFK between midnight &  4 a.m. - unless you get real lucky, long-term construction at the I-678, Grand Central Pkwy & Jackie Robinson Pkwy interchange that routinely triggered 1 to 3 miles backup in all directions, coming & going.  Skip the JFK - Queens option - trust me on this one, one of our nephew works at JFK and do this daily for 15+ years & commute, day & night and all. 

Edited by mking8288