Melbourne cruise port to airport

What is  recommended for best/quickest transportation from Melbourne cruise port to MEL airport? There are 2 of us. We will be on Golden Princess disembarking on Wednesday February 12. We have a noon domestic flight out of MEL (to SYD) so want to get there with time to spare. 

I’ve read that there might be a lot of waiting time using Princess transfers. 

Is taxi best option?

A word of warning - the taxi queues will be quite long.   

We were lucky (in some respects!) to need a maxi taxi which with wheelchair access, which was great as we had a 2 minute wait at 7.15am!

Drive to airport was about 30 mins at least.  

1 hour ago, BoopTennis said:

What is  recommended for best/quickest transportation from Melbourne cruise port to MEL airport? There are 2 of us. We will be on Golden Princess disembarking on Wednesday February 12. We have a noon domestic flight out of MEL (to SYD) so want to get there with time to spare. 

I’ve read that there might be a lot of waiting time using Princess transfers. 

Is taxi best option?

From Station Pier to Tullarmarine airport // just about your only sensible option will be a Taxi // just pay the price and grit your teeth ///

As a long term resident to MEL I know the issues of getting to and from our airport . expect to pay approx $AUD 120  for the trip

Regards

John

Also we are spending several days in Melbourne before the cruise. We fly into MEL and have plenty of time to get to our hotel in the southbank area. Would Skybus be a good option for that transportation?

Official  fare calculator puts it between $65 for a taxi. After getting the taxi it is pretty straight forward for it to enter the freeway next to the bridge.

Uber, never use. Whether they would use surge pricing for lots of disembarking passengers would be an important question.

https://cpv.vic.gov.au/passengers/taxi-fare-estimator

4 minutes ago, BoopTennis said:

Also we are spending several days in Melbourne before the cruise. We fly into MEL and have plenty of time to get to our hotel in the southbank area. Would Skybus be a good option for that transportation?

Skybus would be a good option. If more than 2 people, taxis start becoming more economical.

They also have services from the main stop to various hotels around the city and Southbank.

Edited by Docker123

Sky bus is fine, but can take a while after you get to Spencer St, can’t remember new name, to get small feeder bus to your hotel,  2 people, taxi will not be much more expensive.  Last year it was cheaper to get a taxi to airport than buy 2 Carnival transfers.  We left the ship about 10 so had very little wait and traffic had eased.  You may need to get off a little earlier due to flight time.

Take the Skybus. They run every 10 minutes from Southern Cross station. 

So from Port. Take 109 tram to Southern Cross. If you walk off with your luggage you can get the tram easy before crowds. 

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

Official  fare calculator puts it between $65 for a taxi. After getting the taxi it is pretty straight forward for it to enter the freeway next to the bridge.

Uber, never use. Whether they would use surge pricing for lots of disembarking passengers would be an important question.

https://cpv.vic.gov.au/passengers/taxi-fare-estimator

I used Uber in Sydney to get home from the OPT. The Uber turned up in 3-4 minutes from booking and cost about 2/3 - 3/4 of what the taxi fare would have been. So easy! The Uber fare was around the same as when we'd travelled home from meeting a friend at the Four Seasons (not far from the OPT) for dinner a few weeks earlier so no surge pricing that I could see.  

6 hours ago, MargoK said:

A word of warning - the taxi queues will be quite long.   

We were lucky (in some respects!) to need a maxi taxi which with wheelchair access, which was great as we had a 2 minute wait at 7.15am!

Drive to airport was about 30 mins at least.  

Hi MargoK

hope you are keeping well ... I'm not so good ... (grin)

Last MaxiVan from my home to Tulla Airport was $240  the standard  Maxi was $220   ...just love our Melbourne Taxis

I also would take the tram (light rail) from Port Melbourne to Southern Cross Station and then the Skybus to the airport. The cost of the Skybus at the moment is $18.75 (Aus). For the tram trip you will need a Myki card - https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/more/travelling-on-the-network/visiting-melbourne-and-victoria/

https://www.skybus.com.au/

It is about a 300 metre walk from the terminal to the tram stop. The stop for Southern Cross Station is No. 1, from there you will walk along Spencer Street to just past Bourke Street where you will see a sign (next to the Pie Face shop) indicating where to go for Skybus.

I would also see what time the earliest Princess transfer is and perhaps if it works for you try to get on that. I haven't used taxis from Station Pier and to be honest haven't taken notice of them, as I am too busy looking for whichever family member is picking us up. 

Enjoy your time down under.

Leigh

Another option if you dont have a lot of luggage is chat to others queuing up for a taxi and find another couple to share the taxi to the airport.  We did that from Sydney OPT to airport. But it needs to be done while in the queue not when climbing into the taxi or the driver will not be happy.

Thanks to everyone for all the great information.  This helps a lot. Thank you for those that sent links also that are very helpful.

So you need a Myki card for any time you take a tram (or bus?) 

If we use Skybus at all on our stay should we purchase tickets in advance?

For taxi should we use cash or credit card? 

Thanks again!  

22 minutes ago, BoopTennis said:

Thanks to everyone for all the great information.  This helps a lot. Thank you for those that sent links also that are very helpful.

So you need a Myki card for any time you take a tram (or bus?) 

If we use Skybus at all on our stay should we purchase tickets in advance?

For taxi should we use cash or credit card? 

Thanks again!  

There is a free tram zone within the main city area and some adjacent sights. Anywhere else on the trams, trains, or public buses requires the Myki card for payment.

link to map of free tram zone https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/assets/PDFs/Maps/Network-maps/5b4a3efe80/PTV-Free-Tram-Zone-Map.pdf

Southbank is at the bottom of the map, just across the river (depending which hotel).

Skybus, really your choice of buying. There are ticket booths at the airport stops, but it is probably more convenient to buy online and not have to have the additional hassle.

Looking at their website, I see there is now a Southbank express. Which is your hotel, we may be able to provide advice on a suitable stop?

Taxis take either cash or credit cards.

Quest is a big serviced apartment provider. Usually very good quality.

The Southbank location is very close to the art gallery and many theatres and cultural venues. Plus restaurants. Also can follow St Kilda Road across Princes Bridge into the main city area. About 1/2 mile, or catch a free tram.

the Skybus to Eureka Towers would have you about 2-300 yards away..

It's an easy walk to Melbourne Park from Quest Apartments at Southbank - walk along Southbank Blvd to St Kilda road and cross over onto Linlithgow Ave and walk through the gardens/park to Alexandra Ave to Swan Street Bridge and once across the bridge Melbourne Park is over to your left. 

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Melbourne+Park,+Melbourne+VIC/Quest+Southbank+Apartment+Hotel+-+Book+Direct+%26+Save,+14+Kavanagh+St,+Southbank+VIC+3006/@-37.8210282,144.9687721,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x6ad642befaaa5361:0xf0456760531f860!2m2!1d144.98005!2d-37.82267!1m5!1m1!1s0x6ad642b2069534b9:0x7bb548df80242173!2m2!1d144.966444!2d-37.822758!3e2

Leigh

14 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I would seriously consider the ship's transfer but failing that I would opt for the taxi/uber. If the queue is too long, I would go for the tram and then sky bus or taxi/uber from the city. 

This is the best option (ship transfer>taxi>uber>tram). There is an uber pick up point if the taxi queue  is long. See attached 🙂

station pier.jpg

52 minutes ago, possum52 said:

It's an easy walk to Melbourne Park from Quest Apartments at Southbank - walk along Southbank Blvd to St Kilda road and cross over onto Linlithgow Ave and walk through the gardens/park to Alexandra Ave to Swan Street Bridge and once across the bridge Melbourne Park is over to your left. 

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Melbourne+Park,+Melbourne+VIC/Quest+Southbank+Apartment+Hotel+-+Book+Direct+%26+Save,+14+Kavanagh+St,+Southbank+VIC+3006/@-37.8210282,144.9687721,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x6ad642befaaa5361:0xf0456760531f860!2m2!1d144.98005!2d-37.82267!1m5!1m1!1s0x6ad642b2069534b9:0x7bb548df80242173!2m2!1d144.966444!2d-37.822758!3e2

Leigh

Another option is to go across Princes Bridge on St Kilda Road and then go down along Birrarung Marr.

This takes you through parklands on the other side of the river and gets you to the MCG. There is a footbridge from the MCG to the tennis centre.

This route is shown on Leigh’s map. The name Birrarung Marr is hidden under the sign saying 5 minute’s longer.

Edited by Docker123

49 minutes ago, andlep said:

This is the best option (ship transfer>taxi>uber>tram). There is an uber pick up point if the taxi queue  is long. See attached 🙂

station pier.jpg

It can be very congested where the Uber pickup point is with people and luggage waiting to be picked up. After our last cruise, we struggled to walk through there and there was a group having an argument as well! 

Leigh