Forward Facing Suite - is the balcony usable?

CSloan

I've searched a bit and really can't find much info on this... so I thought I ask.  We're currently booked with an aft-facing Mini=Suite on the Sun. We're considering upgrading to a suite, but it would be a forward facing suite.  I'm just wondering if the balcony is useable while at sea, or is it way too windy to enjoy?  Thanks!

I was on the last sailing of the Sun that made it to Cuba, and I had a forward-facing balcony. I was pleasantly surprised how usable it was when the ship was in motion. The front of the balcony slopes at an angle, sending the majority of the wind up and over you. One thing of note - you cannot use the balcony lights while the ship is in motion. We were unaware of this, and on the first night we quickly received a call from the bridge to tell us to turn the balcony lights off.

We've always done forward suites (we love to see where we're going, as opposed to where we've been)...! 🙂  

Will it be windy while the ship is in motion...?  Best answer is that it definitely CAN be...cause it's all weather-dependent.  You didn't mention where you'll be cruising to or from...or what time of year you'll be doing so.  We've done Alaska (multiple times) and the Baltic cruises...and have had a mixed bag of weather.  Some days on all of them have been beautifully warm and sunny...others have been cooler and rainier. 

We always just bring along multiple layers of clothing, so we're always prepared...cause we spend A LOT of time out on balcony...! 😀

Loved out front balcony on the Dawn  last week to the Bahamas - it was amazing. 

Windy - yes while at sea, but absolutely usable and enjoyable. 

And wow...that view. Cannot beat that with a stick. 

Aft balconies are wonderful as well - you will no be disappointed with either choice I suspect if you love a good ocean view. 

DSCN7439.JPG

DSCN7848.JPG

9 hours ago, CSloan said:

I've searched a bit and really can't find much info on this... so I thought I ask.  We're currently booked with an aft-facing Mini=Suite on the Sun. We're considering upgrading to a suite, but it would be a forward facing suite.  I'm just wondering if the balcony is useable while at sea, or is it way too windy to enjoy?  Thanks!

The forward facing suites are our favorite rooms on the small ships. 

You have a hull balcony, so the hull of the ship sweeps the wind up and over your head. If your stand at the rail, you will get wind. If you step back 3 feet, the wind is over your head. if you are sitting on a chair or lounger, you won't get wind. 

That being said, if you are sailing in a storm, it will be windy all around the ship. 

At any time the balcony HATCH door is open do not open the cabin passageway door.

Beware of the potential vortex tunnel of wind moving loose items about the cabin.

Did you notice the terminology and picture of the balcony door being a HATCH door and not a usual routine slider.

In intense storm weather you would want to have a water tight door closing and not something that is with glass

fracture potential.

Other than that it is nice to have your very own private viewing balcony of the glaciers in Alaska or stunning beaches

in the Caribbean or Bahamas.