Cruising and the environment

Tom47

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Apples to oranges.  For a land trip, you have to add the carbon footprint of your hotel, restaurants, night clubs, and amusement parks to the simple transportation effect.

chengkp75, are there any credible studies on the net, net environmental impacts of land vacations vs cruises?

If I fly to a cruise port in the south or an AI the air travel will have similar environmental affects. The difference from there is that one hotel moves and the other stays put. So I would think that cruising has a larger carbon footprint but I'm sure there are other factors favourable to cruising that I'm not considering.

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

chengkp75, are there any credible studies on the net, net environmental impacts of land vacations vs cruises?

If I fly to a cruise port in the south or an AI the air travel will have similar environmental affects. The difference from there is that one hotel moves and the other stays put. So I would think that cruising has a larger carbon footprint but I'm sure there are other factors favourable to cruising that I'm not considering.

I don't believe there are any studies, at least none I know of.  I'm not saying that cruising doesn't have a larger carbon footprint than land vacations, just that the simple comparison between a car and a ship is not a valid comparison.  As far as moving things, sea transportation is by far the most fuel efficient in terms of ton-miles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Aplmac said:

Things have changed BIGLY in the last two decades or so!

It's not what it used to be, unless you choose to live in the past.

You’re right: everything changes.  As a wise man once observed - even nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.

• Haha 1

I understand that Norway has already started enforcing pollution rules in some Fjords and that several companies have had to alter their itineraries as the ships that were scheduled to visit the area no longer comply with the new rules.

With all the concern about the industry and pollution etc. you can understand why some people are upset about the minuscule fines levied on Carnival for their recent antics

From ‘Cruise Junkie’

June 4 - Carnival Corporation, $20 million fine for violating probation (a tickle on their feet; not even a slap on the wrist)
Carnival Corporation was fined $20 million for violating its probation for environmental offenses that led to a $30 million fine in 2017. The company logged 800 offenses of its conditions of probation in the first year -- many of these (such as discharging plastics) is even worse than the original offenses leading to the $30 million fine. Looking at it from Carnival's perspective, the $50 million total in fines is about 0.7% of their total profit on which they pay no corporate income tax. The fine is similar to a person earning $100,000 being fined $700. Kind of tickles your feet, rather than a slap on the wrist. Carnival is laughing all the way to the bank (or, for the chief execs, all the way to their bonus checks for saving and making money).

😀

Edited by MBP&O2/O
Addition of text

1 hour ago, MBP&O2/O said:

I understand that Norway has already started enforcing pollution rules in some Fjords and that several companies have had to alter their itineraries as the ships that were scheduled to visit the area no longer comply with the new rules.

With all the concern about the industry and pollution etc. you can understand why some people are upset about the minuscule fines levied on Carnival for their recent antics😀

While the front end fine is light, the potential daily fines if Carnival continues on its path of non-compliance can become significant.  Hefty fines in the past have not worked, it is hoped this "stick and carrot" method will have better results.

9 hours ago, hallasm said:

Special requirements for Hurtigruten Costal routes by January 2021 - by then all coastal route ships must be LNG power hybrid ships. At the same time Havila Kystruten will start operating 4 ships with four weekly departures from Bergen while Hurtigruten only will have 7 ships in operation.

The officers said the Lofoten will do something but not the coastal cruses.  Maybe day trips.  And she's protected from disassembling or any such.  Can't remember, have you sailed on her?

19 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I'm not going to let my actions be controlled by propaganda.  When my supposed betters stop flying around the world in private jets to attend climate conferences I might pay more attention.  

I remind myself that  I shouldn't use others bad actions as an excuse for myself.

6 hours ago, clo said:

The officers said the Lofoten will do something but not the coastal cruses.  Maybe day trips.  And she's protected from disassembling or any such.  Can't remember, have you sailed on her?

Hurtigruten has started to rebuild nine og the current ships to LNG and battery propulsion in order to meet environmental requirements for the coastal routes by January 2021 - Hurtigruten going Green.

Since they only will operate seven out of eleven ships serving the coastal route they are only currently only planning to rebuild nine existing ships - Obviously not possible to upgrade MS Lofoten to LNG.

I believe you will see Hurtigruten ‘no coastal route’ offerings along the Norwegian Coast only serving the ‘interesting’ ports with much longer stops. Lofoten will probably be one of those ships, however not possible to enter the Heritage Fjords and might also meet other emission restrictions in Norway. Then she will probably do som round trips to Denmark!

6 hours ago, clo said:

Can't remember, have you sailed on her?

Unfortunately not - but I still have the chance - I believe she will be serving the Norwegian Coastal Round through 2020.

2 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Unfortunately not - but I still have the chance - I believe she will be serving the Norwegian Coastal Round through 2020.

Yep.  We're doing the NB Coastal Cruise next April as part of a bigger trip.  As US folks we had to sign up through their London office.  Don't know why but it didn't matter.