1 Day Pacific Coastal

leerathje

I live in BC, and am thinking of taking the Amtrak down from Vancouver to Seattle, go to a Mariners game, and then the Oosterdam back to Vancouver.  Has anyone ever done a single dayer?  Interested to hear what others think....

11 minutes ago, leerathje said:

I live in BC, and am thinking of taking the Amtrak down from Vancouver to Seattle, go to a Mariners game, and then the Oosterdam back to Vancouver.  Has anyone ever done a single dayer?  Interested to hear what others think....

Sounds great. Also good way to sample ship/cruise if you are not familiar:)

• Like 1

>I live in BC, and am thinking of taking the Amtrak down from Vancouver to Seattle, go to a Mariners game, and then the >Oosterdam back to Vancouver.  Has anyone ever done a single dayer?  Interested to hear what others think....

Assuming that the Mariners are in town on that day, the biggest problem is that you could only see part of the game. Day games last until 3:30 or later and ships leave at 4:00. On-board time usually is at least 3:00, plus time to get from the stadium up to the north end of Elliott Bay and check in. So you'd probably only be able to see the first 4-5 innings.

Loren

3 minutes ago, Wacruzr said:

>I live in BC, and am thinking of taking the Amtrak down from Vancouver to Seattle, go to a Mariners game, and then the >Oosterdam back to Vancouver.  Has anyone ever done a single dayer?  Interested to hear what others think....

Assuming that the Mariners are in town on that day, the biggest problem is that you could only see part of the game. Day games last until 3:30 or later and ships leave at 4:00. On-board time usually is at least 3:00, plus time to get from the stadium up to the north end of Elliott Bay and check in. So you'd probably only be able to see the first 4-5 innings.

Loren

Unless, of course, OP is thinking of going down the morning of the game, watch the game, get a room for the night, and take the cruise the next day.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Unless, of course, OP is thinking of going down the morning of the game, watch the game, get a room for the night, and take the cruise the next day.

Thank you Shmoo!  Those are my plans. Morning train ride, and It would either be September 27 or 28th game, and they are playing both those days. So, return to Vancouver would either be on the Eurodam on the 28th, or the Oosterdam on the 29th.

16 minutes ago, Wacruzr said:

Loren

I do plan on staying overnight in Seattle,  and I did check the dates already.  There are two options back to Vancouver, the Eurodam or the Oosterdam.

So...I was on the Oosterdam right after the May 1-day "booze cruise" fron Vancouver to Seattle. In talking to the staff, they said it was pretty gruesome at times and they had a hard time getting some of the drunks off the ship the next morning. We were late embarking on our 7 night Alaska cruise because of the mess.

But...maybe you can find a quiet spot to enjoy the evening.

Good luck!

We live in Victoria and have done several 1 night cruises. They make a good quick break.  Experience is different than a regular length cruise and it is really short by the time you board and get off early the next day but still worth it. 

We have never experienced a problem resulting from overconsumption by others. Maybe we have been lucky. 

If I lived in the area I'd definitely do it.  I've done 4-day Coastals and thoroughly enjoyed them.  Tack on a day or two pre- or post- cruise and you have a nice getaway.

Roz

If you like all-night partying, this is the cruise for you. We were on one that was a 1-night continuation for a multi-week cruise for us and the mess for our stewards afterwards was dreadful. Noisy, rude passengers. Definitely a booze-cruise.😩

1 minute ago, janmcn said:

If you like all-night partying, this is the cruise for you. We were on one that was a 1-night continuation for a multi-week cruise for us and the mess for our stewards afterwards was dreadful. Noisy, rude passengers. Definitely a booze-cruise.😩

UGH -- thanks for the warning! Had thought about that, as a way to do a quick sampling of the HAL product. But it doesn't sound like a very representative experience of the cruise line. Will just plan to do a short Pacific Coastal next fall, instead.

• Like 1

I'd do it in a heartbeat!  It sounds like a fun addition to a short road trip!  Cheaper than a hotel room and it gets you back home! 

I love the short Pacific Coastals.  Haven't done a 1 day though, usually the 4 day-ers.   The only negative I've found, was some who were on longer legs of the cruise were a little snippy about us short "interlopers" crashing their cruise...

Edited by slidergirl

I did the one day Sunday departure on the Oosterdam up to vancouver back in 2017.  Apparently it was a rare cruise because while Princess went out full for their booze cruise adjacent to us, our ship only had 350 people on board (the number was confirmed by staff at muster drill).  They still did the test kitchen demo and had other things going but it was a fun night.  Probably the only time I will ever be on a cruise that empty.

We got onboard around 1030am and were off the next morning.  The ship was peaceful and quiet throughout.  No checking of bags it is all carry on only. 

17 hours ago, lizinvan said:

Sounds great. Also good way to sample ship/cruise if you are not familiar:)

Yes!  I've only ever cruised once, and that was on the Koningsdam....interested to see the Eurodam and/or Oosterdam.