Getting to Rome

tijc52

Hi all, does anyone have advice or experience with disembarking at Civitavecchia?  Does Seabourn have a shuttle service to the train station or is it walkable?

We are thinking of taking the train to Roma Termini and onward to Florence, so I'm trying to calculate our travel time.

Thank you all!

When you disembark the ship you have to take a port shuttle to the dock entrance, or a taxi to station, then take a different bus to the station, but you must buy your ticket from the kiosk before boarding the bus.

Also buy a train ticket prior to boarding the train.

• Like 1

With luggage my advice is to simply have a car and driver waiting to drive you to Rome. Shuttles, buses, trains, changing trains all become more difficult when encumbered by suitcases and carryons. And in the end by the time you add up all the separate expenses per person it won't be that much cheaper. 

• Like 1

Perhaps through the Roll Call you can find other passengers to share a ride into Rome. It's a fair distance. And traditionally on Fridays the Italians go on strike, so travel times increase.

I note you're going to Florence.  The high-speed "red" train there from Rome is really nice.  And fast!

I have done this a couple of times and quite frankly it is not an easy trip with luggage. May I suggest that you look at getting a price from Rome Chauffeur or Rome Cabs, they do fixed prices that I felt are reasonable and are quoted on their web sites. The two companies are different but seem to work together and are totally reliable.

For me in my mind we have spent so much on the trip, a little extra on the cab is money well spent compared to the difficulty or getting to Rome by public transport especially in Italy.

Let us know how you get on.

• Like 2

Wouldn’t Seabourn put on their usual bus to the airport and/or Rome at a reasonable price?

I know they do this in other ports, but maybe not Civitavecchia ?

17 hours ago, SKP946 said:

Wouldn’t Seabourn put on their usual bus to the airport and/or Rome at a reasonable price?

I know they do this in other ports, but maybe not Civitavecchia ?

Whenever you purchase anything from a cruise line, be it a hotel or a transfer, it will be more expensive as you are paying per person and not per room or per car. And they tack on their profit. Check out RomeCabs as has been mentioned here. They are very reliable and very reasonable.

21 hours ago, rl787 said:

I have done this a couple of times and quite frankly it is not an easy trip with luggage. May I suggest that you look at getting a price from Rome Chauffeur or Rome Cabs, they do fixed prices that I felt are reasonable and are quoted on their web sites. The two companies are different but seem to work together and are totally reliable.

For me in my mind we have spent so much on the trip, a little extra on the cab is money well spent compared to the difficulty or getting to Rome by public transport especially in Italy.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for this rl787.

We are disembarking at  Civitavecchia in a couple of months and the two you mention get great reviews online and the price is really quite reasonable.

I am sure we will book one of them to get to our hotel in the city  - thanks.

11 hours ago, wripro said:

Whenever you purchase anything from a cruise line, be it a hotel or a transfer, it will be more expensive as you are paying per person and not per room or per car. And they tack on their profit. Check out RomeCabs as has been mentioned here. They are very reliable and very reasonable.

Agreed wripro (I had to type your name 3 times as auto-correct kept changing it to (no offense intended) “weirdo” 🙄)

however, we have taken a Seabourn arranged  bus directly from the dock  to the airport a few times and it’s always been a lot less cost than a taxi, especially when the airport is a fair distance eg. Valparaiso to Santiago airport.( about 1 hour 20 minutes)

Edited by SKP946

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions.  I was struggling with the idea of taking a car to Roma Termini when there is a train station right in Civitavecchia, but I think we'll book a car with Roma Chauffeur.  Even if there is no time savings, it should make for an easier time with suitcases.  Thanks again!