Any IBM'ers out there? Will IBM thin client VPN work on Adventure OTS?

Will IBM thin client laptop VPN work on Adventure OTS?

Our house in CT is sold on August 15th,  and it will be 80 days or so more before our new condo in MA is ready.  Our furniture goes into storage.  We'll be homeless!  We both work remote, so it doesn't really matter where we physically are.

One of the options we have been considering is a B2B on Adventure out of Port Liberty to Quebec City and back.  Since our vacation time is already spoken for we'll have to work weekdays on the ship.  Seems like a good trade-off, fully furnished apartment, short-term, with free meals and drinks (D++) thrown in (unlike an extended stay hotel).  We have FCC's that will pay almost half of the 21 day cost of an OV.

Everything seems perfect except there is no way to test our VPN's, so if we book and get on the ship and they don't work, we'll be up ships creek!  They work in every hotel we have been in, and even using my cell phone's wifi hotspot in a moving car.  I'm pretty tech savvy, considered running it behind Windows 10, my cell phone, or even a TP-Link N300 Wireless Portable Nano Travel Router.  Not really sure it would do any good, but just exploring alternatives.  There doesn't seem to be any clear consensus if RCI blocks VPNs, or the ways around any restrictions.

Thank you

RC does block certain types of VPNs.  PPTP has always been blocked.  L2TP/IPSEC worked for a couple of years, but had been blocked now.  Your best bet is a protocol that is exclusively using SSL on port 443. 

Just now, Host Clarea said:

RC does block certain types of VPNs.  PPTP has always been blocked.  L2TP/IPSEC worked for a couple of years, but had been blocked now.  Your best bet is a protocol that is exclusively using SSL on port 443.

Thank you Bob. 

An employee trying to navigate IBM's internal tech support is not as easy as you might think.  Most companies consider such information a security breach.

I'd feel more comfortable if someone has actually done it.  Probably long odds, but I thought i'd give it a try.

4 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Thank you Bob. 

An employee trying to navigate IBM's internal tech support is not as easy as you might think.  Most companies consider such information a security breach.

I'd feel more comfortable if someone has actually done it.  Probably long odds, but I thought i'd give it a try.

Your tech support must have to deal with employees traveling all over the world, behind all types of firewalls.  They must have some sort of FAQ/document that covers ports and protocols needed for their VPN.

11 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

As a former IBM employee I am sure that going thru the helpless desk to get any useful information like this will be an exercise in futility.

What's the internal discussion medium these days, Connections? You might try there. Or maybe look for a channel on Slack (assuming that is still used).

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Your tech support must have to deal with employees traveling all over the world, behind all types of firewalls.  They must have some sort of FAQ/document that covers ports and protocols needed for their VPN.

It's my wife actually.  I've actually had to get on the phone for her to fix issues so I really don't trust them.  They follow their scripts!  Latency issues aside, WiFi should work.  It's really Adventure I want to talk to, but I doubt that will happen anytime before hell freezes over.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steveru621 said:

It's my wife actually.  I've actually had to get on the phone for her to fix issues so I really don't trust them.  They follow their scripts! 

Yes, I was going to mention the scripts! What you're asking about is not in the scripts so they'll have no idea how to handle it. And they won't want to open a ticket because you don't have a problem and they're rated on how quickly they close tickets.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Will IBM thin client laptop VPN work on Adventure OTS?

Our house in CT is sold on August 15th,  and it will be 80 days or so more before our new condo in MA is ready.  Our furniture goes into storage.  We'll be homeless!  We both work remote, so it doesn't really matter where we physically are.

One of the options we have been considering is a B2B on Adventure out of Port Liberty to Quebec City and back.  Since our vacation time is already spoken for we'll have to work weekdays on the ship.  Seems like a good trade-off, fully furnished apartment, short-term, with free meals and drinks (D++) thrown in (unlike an extended stay hotel).  We have FCC's that will pay almost half of the 21 day cost of an OV.

Everything seems perfect except there is no way to test our VPN's, so if we book and get on the ship and they don't work, we'll be up ships creek!  They work in every hotel we have been in, and even using my cell phone's wifi hotspot in a moving car.  I'm pretty tech savvy, considered running it behind Windows 10, my cell phone, or even a TP-Link N300 Wireless Portable Nano Travel Router.  Not really sure it would do any good, but just exploring alternatives.  There doesn't seem to be any clear consensus if RCI blocks VPNs, or the ways around any restrictions.

Thank you

I would not risk it - VOOM is VERY unpredictable and it might not work for hours or even days....🙄

1 hour ago, CruiseEnvy said:

I've never tried while onboard, but my manager successfully worked while cruising Anthem a few months back. (Yes, we're Big Blue.) 

Does that mean web access and email, or does it mean actually connecting to the corporate network via VPN?

I was on anthem in May and could not get my vpn to work on my laptop.  I work for a very large Fortune 500 company and quite sure I’m not the only employee who cruises and needs access. 

Anyone know of a workaround ?  Thanks,

53 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Does that mean web access and email, or does it mean actually connecting to the corporate network via VPN?

Corporate VPN, but to those that may wonder, our wireless client is set up so we can log into two distinct VPNs at once anyway. (our work situation may be somewhat unique.) 

I think the OP won't know for certain until he actually tries.

So I asked DH about this.  He said to tell you he used Cisco VPN on the Symphony WiFi all week with no problems.  He is a partner with IBM and has to work on every vacation we take.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, er345 said:

So I asked DH about this.  He said to tell you he used Cisco VPN on the Symphony WiFi all week with no problems.  He is a partner with IBM and has to work on every vacation we take.  

Very good to know, thank-you.

1 hour ago, er345 said:

Thank you for the information.

When I sail solo I often work from the ship, particularly on sea days.  This allows me to maximize my cruising while balancing client expectations for my business.

Cisco AnyConnect VPN works every time on the 20 Royal ships I've sailed. 

Fortigate's Forti client has worked on the ships where I've tried it which isn't very many. I suspect Forti client will work like Cisco on other ships but I just don't use it very much as most clients use Cisco.  

I've tried Juniper's Pulse VPN client once and it worked but I can't remember which ship.  Only one former client has Juniper.

IPSEC VPN works as well but I don't see this very much anymore. 

Some consumer oriented SSL VPN services don't always work.  I have one where their IPSEC gateways connect but their SSL gateways do not.  In some cases the same IP address is used for both protocols so it isn't clear if the SSL is actively being blocked or their SSL VPN client doesn't tolerate the latency involved.

I was on Adventure of the Seas from Quebec City to Ft Lauderdale last year.  The only location that was an issue was entering the Gulf of St Lawrence around the tip of Gaspé Peninsula.  We were close enough to land that cellular worked from the Viking Crown Lounge but satellite services were a dud.  Once firmly in the Gulf of St Lawrence away from land we were in a dark area for satellite services - no TV channels, no Voom internet.  This lasted several hours.  Once we made it further South approaching PEI they returned to normal and worked fine the rest of the cruise to Ft. Lauderdale.  

WiFi calling works best on O3b enabled ships like Freedom, Oasis and Quantum class plus Enchantment and Majesty.  The sub 200ms latency experienced most of the time works well with VoIP.  

On non-O3b ships (rest of the fleet) WiFi calling can work okay most of the time with some periods of "can you hear me now?".  

I don't work on Alaska cruises.  Satellites coverage is in the fringe area in Alaska so on these cruises I simply let it be known I'll be unavailable for their entirety.  

WebEx works fine on most ships and computer audio for Webex follows WiFi calling patterns - best on O3b ships with periods of "can you repeat that, you're breaking up" on non-O3b ships.

Satellite services are always impacted by rain fade.  Poor weather such as heavy rain or even dark clouds overhead can slow down Voom.  Even ship heading and location can induce Voom slow downs at times if the ship antennas and view of satellites is blocked by the ship's infrastructure or the satellite view is through the exhaust stream coming out the stacks.  Satellite internet is far from perfect but Voom is generally pretty decent, especially on O3b ships.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, twangster said:

In some cases the same IP address is used for both protocols so it isn't clear if the SSL is actively being blocked or their SSL VPN client doesn't tolerate the latency involved.

I suspect the latter.

Former IBMer here, at least my Samsung galaxy tablet with all IBM stuff (encrypted Lotus Notes, Connections, chat, etc) worked perfectly on Harmony of the Seas.

Cisco AnyConnect VPN

7 hours ago, twangster said:

When I sail solo I often work from the ship, particularly on sea days.  This allows me to maximize my cruising while balancing client expectations for my business.

Cisco AnyConnect VPN works every time on the 20 Royal ships I've sailed. 

Fortigate's Forti client has worked on the ships where I've tried it which isn't very many. I suspect Forti client will work like Cisco on other ships but I just don't use it very much as most clients use Cisco.  

I've tried Juniper's Pulse VPN client once and it worked but I can't remember which ship.  Only one former client has Juniper.

IPSEC VPN works as well but I don't see this very much anymore. 

Some consumer oriented SSL VPN services don't always work.  I have one where their IPSEC gateways connect but their SSL gateways do not.  In some cases the same IP address is used for both protocols so it isn't clear if the SSL is actively being blocked or their SSL VPN client doesn't tolerate the latency involved.

I was on Adventure of the Seas from Quebec City to Ft Lauderdale last year.  The only location that was an issue was entering the Gulf of St Lawrence around the tip of Gaspé Peninsula.  We were close enough to land that cellular worked from the Viking Crown Lounge but satellite services were a dud.  Once firmly in the Gulf of St Lawrence away from land we were in a dark area for satellite services - no TV channels, no Voom internet.  This lasted several hours.  Once we made it further South approaching PEI they returned to normal and worked fine the rest of the cruise to Ft. Lauderdale.  

WiFi calling works best on O3b enabled ships like Freedom, Oasis and Quantum class plus Enchantment and Majesty.  The sub 200ms latency experienced most of the time works well with VoIP.  

On non-O3b ships (rest of the fleet) WiFi calling can work okay most of the time with some periods of "can you hear me now?".  

I don't work on Alaska cruises.  Satellites coverage is in the fringe area in Alaska so on these cruises I simply let it be known I'll be unavailable for their entirety.  

WebEx works fine on most ships and computer audio for Webex follows WiFi calling patterns - best on O3b ships with periods of "can you repeat that, you're breaking up" on non-O3b ships.

Satellite services are always impacted by rain fade.  Poor weather such as heavy rain or even dark clouds overhead can slow down Voom.  Even ship heading and location can induce Voom slow downs at times if the ship antennas and view of satellites is blocked by the ship's infrastructure or the satellite view is through the exhaust stream coming out the stacks.  Satellite internet is far from perfect but Voom is generally pretty decent, especially on O3b ships.

Cisco AnyConnect VPN  (good)

Thank you for taking the time to give me a detailed response!

• Like 1