6-Bottle Wine Pck vs Cellar Master Pck Question

gomama5996

We purchased the "Sommelier Suite Cellar No. 3" wine package on our last cruise. This is the top tier wine package and we chose it as we particularly like Wente wines that are available in the No. 3 category.

For our upcoming cruise in September, I see something available called the "Cellar Master Package" that includes: 2 wine tasting events, 2 evenings at Pinnacle Grill, 6 bottles from the sommelier cellar, a Holland America Line commemorative bottle and wine gift.

Would anyone happen to know what category (No. 1, No. 2 or No. 3) is included in this package?  OR if you can upgrade it?  Upgrading is not an option when ordering it on the HAL website.

What were the wine tasting events like?  Would you purchase it again?  We will probably eat at PG a couple of times anyway, so this might be the best deal. 

Also, can it be purchased on embarkation day? Or must it be purchases ahead of time?

Thanks for any information you might share!

22 minutes ago, gypsymama5996 said:

We purchased the "Sommelier Suite Cellar No. 3" wine package on our last cruise. This is the top tier wine package and we chose it as we particularly like Wente wines that are available in the No. 3 category.

For our upcoming cruise in September, I see something available called the "Cellar Master Package" that includes: 2 wine tasting events, 2 evenings at Pinnacle Grill, 6 bottles from the sommelier cellar, a Holland America Line commemorative bottle and wine gift.

Would anyone happen to know what category (No. 1, No. 2 or No. 3) is included in this package?  OR if you can upgrade it?  Upgrading is not an option when ordering it on the HAL website.

It’s the old Navigator pack or No #1, at least it was when we had it and when roll call members had it.

22 minutes ago, gypsymama5996 said:

What were the wine tasting events like?  Would you purchase it again?  We will probably eat at PG a couple of times anyway, so this might be the best deal. 

Also, can it be purchased on embarkation day? Or must it be purchases ahead of time?

Thanks for any information you might share!

The wine tasting events are the same as the ones on the ships that you go to.  There is no difference.

It couldn’t be purchased on embarkation day.  It has to be purchased pre cruise the last time we did it.

Would I do it again?  No.  simply put - we prefer the higher level wine packages and since we now get deductions on the wine packages the math doesn’t work.

the “gift” was no biggie.  It’s normally either coasters or wine markers for glasses.

Do the math. And see if it works.  Before the changes the Navigator pack wasn’t half bad but since we went to package 1, 2 and 3, we far prefer 2 (for a white or 2 for me) and 3 for the rest.  

Hope this helps and again, this is only our experience.

3 minutes ago, gypsymama5996 said:

Thanks - hmmm, with the "1" wine choices probably not good for us. We prefer the "3" cabernet. 

I appreciate your input.

You are welcome.  By all means call HAL and make sure which wine choice it is now but that is what it was with us and with other roll call members.  

If you price the stuff individually, it doesn’t cost anymore (if you are not 3, 4 or 5* and then it is less)

It’s really worth it to do the math and what you want to do.  

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Where does one find out what the choices are for the no. 1 package? (or the others for that matter?)

On the LIVE threads.  I believe one was just posted recently.  I’ll see if I can find it for you.

Just now, kazu said:

On the LIVE threads.  I believe one was just posted recently.  I’ll see if I can find it for you.

I did find it on the website but wasn't sure if those listed are consistently available or whether there are substitutions.

Having looked at them I think the no. 2 package looks better for me...

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I did find it on the website but wasn't sure if those listed are consistently available or whether there are substitutions.

Having looked at them I think the no. 2 package looks better for me...

Definitely wait until you are on board to order to make sure there are no changes.

Here is the the link to Dave’s (Retired Mustang) Live thread where he posted them.  (Post 443)   https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2684070-dave’s-live-from-zuiderdam-voyage-of-the-vikings-july-30-–-sept-3-2019/?do=findComment&comment=58257790

9 minutes ago, kazu said:

Definitely wait until you are on board to order to make sure there are no changes.

Here is the the link to Dave’s (Retired Mustang) Live thread where he posted them.  (Post 443)   https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2684070-dave’s-live-from-zuiderdam-voyage-of-the-vikings-july-30-–-sept-3-2019/?do=findComment&comment=58257790

Thanks -- and thank you for the sage advice. :classic_smile:

Edited by cruisemom42

I don't know what Mariner Star Level you are, but, if you are 3 star or higher then you get discount on the Sommelier Suite Cellar Packages'. 3 star receives 25% and 4/5 star receives 50%.  You cannot receive this discount if you purchase the 'Cellar Master Package'.

Here is the FAQ from the Mariner Society page....

What wine packages are eligible for the 3, 4, and 5-star discounts?

Sommelier Suite Cellar Packages 1, 2 & 3 are applicable. Wine cards, Cellar Master packages, individual bottle purchases, wine by the glass and beverage cards are excluded. A standard 15% Beverage Service Charge is applied based on the original price of the wine package. The loyalty discount does not apply to the 15% Beverage Service Charge.

Edited by VMax1700

Looking at purchasing a six bottle package Cellar #2 as we love the white wine.  Can you individualize your selection as you order each bottle (within cellar #2) or do you need to choose your six bottles when purchasing package?  

Was planning to purchase package onboard.  Can anyone recommend best time to do so and where to go?  Also can I request one of the six bottles to be delivered to my stateroom a,t time of purchase?

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, Beachnut53 said:

Looking at purchasing a six bottle package Cellar #2 as we love the white wine.  Can you individualize your selection as you order each bottle (within cellar #2) or do you need to choose your six bottles when purchasing package?  

Was planning to purchase package onboard.  Can anyone recommend best time to do so and where to go?  Also can I request one of the six bottles to be delivered to my stateroom a,t time of purchase?

Thanks!

We ordered our wine package from our wine steward in the MDR. Wife had her bottle and I had mine at dinner after that. I tried several until I found one I really liked. You order another bottle as you empty one. I would ask, when I buy the package, to have a bottle delivered to the room.

We did not take our partial bottles out of the MDR but I think I read on here you can ask the bartender to get it for you,  We did not know to tell the Wine Steward that we would be dining in the Cantaleo but we were able to have our bottles at our meal there. Also we had two unopened bottles left at the end of the cruise. the concierge in the lounge arranged for those bottles to appear in our room the last night. Still have one I am saving until just before our next cruise.

Has  anyone else ever wondered why it costs more per bottle in the level two package to buy six vs four bottles?  In package one and three the per bottle price decreases the more you buy.  But not in the level two.  Or is this just another HAL consistent inconsistency?

5 hours ago, bennybear said:

Has  anyone else ever wondered why it costs more per bottle in the level two package to buy six vs four bottles?  In package one and three the per bottle price decreases the more you buy.  But not in the level two.  Or is this just another HAL consistent inconsistency?

Interesting...the pricing is very slightly higher per bottle when you move to six as opposed to four...but by my math its a little less than a dollar a bottle.  Hadn't noticed that until you pointed out the difference.