Is onboard credit a thing of the past?

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

If one could find the right TA, sure, but not many TA's are going to give much for an $1800 booking in any case.

If all of the $1800 is commissionable, the TA should be able to throw you at least $100 OBC. 

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

Junior Suite

It’s not so much the cabin type but the amount of commissionable fare. For a JS most TAs would probably provide something- it just could be some weird fare or circumstance which precludes any perks. 

I started to look for a TA online after reading this thread, but I saw somewhere on page 2 that RCI gives 60 days to transfer a booking to a TA.  If that's the case, I'm out of luck for this booking.  Originally booked April, re-priced early May.  I missed the 60-day window by 5 days if that's the case.  But all good to know for next time.  

4 hours ago, Sherri914 said:

I'd love to find a TA just to see weigh options, but I've never used one and wouldn't even know where to start?  I don't know anyone personally that I could ask for a reference even.  Nobody in my circle has ever used one.  I don't even know how TA's work.  Do they charge the client?  Are they paid by the cruise lines?  

My first cruise I went directly through the cruise line.  No OBC or any other perks.  I was a newbie so I didn’t know any different.  My son told me to check out the site that competes for people’s business on my next cruise which is what I did.  There were several TA’s competing for my business when I said I was interested in a certain cruise.  I chose the TA with what looked to be the best deal and the rest is history.  I have now used this same TA each time I have booked a cruise and have been very pleased. I have gotten the group rate on two of my cruises.  A real savings, plus OBC, free gratuities, etc.  Each cruise is different what the bennies are, but there is always something he is able to pass along.  

Before choosing my TA, I did some research on his particular company and the TA himself and saw positive reviews, too, which set my mind at rest until I had my own experience to draw from.  My TA has always been available.  Some people have found they are not able to reach their TA in a timely manner.  The reviews I read spoke very well of his availability which is important.  

Another thing you you can do next time you cruise is ask around.  People will be happy to share their experiences with you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The cost should always be less than booking direct, or you keep shopping around. 

It usually is, but for me the TA serves more of a purpose than just getting me a better discount. The TA is there to answer any questions (usually more reliably than asking Royal), monitors the cruise for price drops/upgrades,  monitors cruise planner to see when things become available for booking, puts the requests into dining for a specific table, etc.

The first TA I went with because they got me a good deal, but their service was terrible. Service charge for everything, wouldn't let me get a price drop, etc. I'd much rather support a small, independent TA who is nice than shop around to get an extra $50 OBC.

That's me though

34 minutes ago, PSU said:

If it the same big box store that I use, the gift cards do not have to be used at the store. They will give you cash or a check if it is for a large amount. The TA told me if was Royal Caribbean and Celebrity’s decision since the money comes from them.

I was just told on the phone this might be possible IF the store has enough in the till. 

It is a large amount, and I think it might outlive us!!

47 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

If all of the $1800 is commissionable, the TA should be able to throw you at least $100 OBC. 

That would be sweet- if I could find such a TA. The woods up in northern Vermont aren't crawling with them. I keep looking, but I'm not holding my breath. (And all of it wouldn't have been commissionable since it included government taxes and fees.)

25 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

It usually is, but for me the TA serves more of a purpose than just getting me a better discount. The TA is there to answer any questions (usually more reliably than asking Royal), monitors the cruise for price drops/upgrades,  monitors cruise planner to see when things become available for booking, puts the requests into dining for a specific table, etc.

The first TA I went with because they got me a good deal, but their service was terrible. Service charge for everything, wouldn't let me get a price drop, etc. I'd much rather support a small, independent TA who is nice than shop around to get an extra $50 OBC.

That's me though

i agree 110%

• Clarea locked this topic