Is onboard credit a thing of the past?

4 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I use obc to cover our auto gratuities. 

Not this time! Not even from my big box. 

what happened?

Maybe you need a new travel agent? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ATC cruiser said:

The big box we use is now giving in store gift cards instead of OBC. Works out the same for us, cheaper for them. 

Are the gift cards restricted and can only be used in that business?

I think I used to use the same big box retailer before I switched to a more full service TA. The gift cards at the one I used to use (snd I think the one they refer to) can only be used at their store. But it’s super easy to spend a lot there!  😂

I did get a small amount of OBC when I booked a cruise while I was sailing. And my current TA usually gives me some. Not as much monetarily if I had stuck with big box retailer TA, but that is the cost of service I guess. Worth it to me now. Wasn’t 10 years ago. 

They’re from a warehouse club store. You used to get so much OBC depending on the price of your cruise. So if I was going to get $250 OBC, they now give a $250 cash card for the store. It’s a bit cheaper for them to do this, but it’s still $250 in my pocket. It’s not like I’m not going to go shopping at that store again. Also if you’re an executive member the price of the cruise now counts toward the  2% rebate we get every year. Our rebate check more than covers the price of our membership. 

• Like 2

I'd love to find a TA just to see weigh options, but I've never used one and wouldn't even know where to start?  I don't know anyone personally that I could ask for a reference even.  Nobody in my circle has ever used one.  I don't even know how TA's work.  Do they charge the client?  Are they paid by the cruise lines?  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sherri914 said:

I'd love to find a TA just to see weigh options, but I've never used one and wouldn't even know where to start?  I don't know anyone personally that I could ask for a reference even.  Nobody in my circle has ever used one.  I don't even know how TA's work.  Do they charge the client?  Are they paid by the cruise lines?  

The internet lists many travel agents with actual telephone numbers to call. You could call them or contact them by email and get a bid. You could compare the various bids to see which one you prefer.

As for charging, this is a bit more complex. They all receive the bulk of their compensation from the cruise lines, but (there is always a but) some charge booking fees, change fees, cancellation fees, burping fees, etc. - I would suggest you ask them about their fees and not book if the fees are not acceptable to you. 

Edited by neverbeenhere

12 minutes ago, Sherri914 said:

I would never use an agent who charges any additional fees. They get a commission from the cruise line/hotel/excursion provider, etc. The cost to you should not be any higher than if you booked directly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sherri914 said:

... Do they charge the client?  Are they paid by the cruise lines?  

Some do add an extra "service charge".  I had that imposed using our first travel agent years ago, I think it was something like $50.  Then we met some very nice people on our first cruise who referred us to our current travel agent, who has been fantastic.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sherri914 said:

I've never used a TA either but the people on CC that use TA's love them. Too bad they can't pass on their recommendations on these boards as it's against CC policy.

I guess a good place to start would be the "Research" tab on CC and look under deals. There are several online TA listed that I assume are reputable partners.

3 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I've never used a TA either but the people on CC that use TA's love them. Too bad they can't pass on their recommendations on these boards as it's against CC policy.

I guess a good place to start would be the "Research" tab on CC and look under deals. There are several online TA listed that I assume are reputable partners.

Ive never used one either. I called a highly recommended local TA here once to ask her about transferring my cruise to her from RC and asked if there were any perks she could offer and she said no.   Ive never tried to use one again.  I of the opinion that the small perks they can offer do not outweigh the benefit of being able to call the cruiseline directly myself about any changes or price drops.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, ATC cruiser said:

The big box we use is now giving in store gift cards instead of OBC. Works out the same for us, cheaper for them. 

1 hour ago, ATC cruiser said:

That would be fine, if we could spend that much there. We don’t need electronics or any other large purchases. 40 mile round trip too far for gas, so it would take at least two years to use it up. 

For Princess they send a check. Wish they did it got RCI. 

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Maybe you need a new travel agent? 

Just transferred the booking from me to them. 

I don't know if I could transfer it again. I’ve never moved a booking away from a TA. 

I’m tempted to shop around, though. 

3 minutes ago, ryano said:

....   I of the opinion that the small perks they can offer do not outweigh the benefit of being able to call the cruiseline directly myself about any changes or price drops.

See, I view calling the cruise line as a real PITA.  Whenever I have to do something that would have required calling the cruise line, I spend about 30 seconds sending an email to the travel agent, and she has to deal with Royal on the phone.  That's a win for me.  Plus, it's very very rare for us to get a price drop anymore, so timeliness of calling Royal on the weekend or after hours rarely comes into play for us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, jagsfan said:

Just transferred the booking from me to them. 

I don't know if I could transfer it again. I’ve never moved a booking away from a TA. 

I’m tempted to shop around, though. 

You can move the booking away from the travel agent with their consent.  In unusual situations (travel agent non-responsive for a long time), Royal can take back the booking and you can then move it to someone else.

55 minutes ago, ATC cruiser said:

They’re from a warehouse club store. You used to get so much OBC depending on the price of your cruise. So if I was going to get $250 OBC, they now give a $250 cash card for the store. It’s a bit cheaper for them to do this, but it’s still $250 in my pocket. It’s not like I’m not going to go shopping at that store again. Also if you’re an executive member the price of the cruise now counts toward the  2% rebate we get every year. Our rebate check more than covers the price of our membership. 

There’s just two of us, in a condo, and our only big purchases are cruises. 

It’s only good for instore or online purchases, which precludes using it for another cruise. 

8 minutes ago, ryano said:

Ive never used one either. I called a highly recommended local TA here once to ask her about transferring my cruise to her from RC and asked if there were any perks she could offer and she said no.   Ive never tried to use one again.  I of the opinion that the small perks they can offer do not outweigh the benefit of being able to call the cruiseline directly myself about any changes or price drops.

Wait till you discover 'group rates'

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Sherri914 said:

Most are paid by commission, not by the client. 

TA’s, good ones, are travel advisors. 

They will help you find the best cabin on the best ship for you.  

Not every cruise line or ship is right for everyone. That’s where a knowledgeable agent can help you get the most out of your dollars. 

15 minutes ago, mikenbon said:

We book our cruises directly on the cruiseline website and have always received OBC. Yesterday, I was able to book an excursion using it, which was great. 

When you use a travel agent, you get exactly the same perks as you would booking directly through the cruise line plus more, if you find a good agency. Normally in the 10% of the cruise price range.