Navigator or mariner of the seas

Hubby and I are trying to decide between the four night cruise on navigator and mariner. Are there many differences between the two ships? We are looking at early September and are hoping school will be started so maybe less kids on board?  Any advice is appreciated

If you enjoy having access to free sauna or steam room, or having an expansive view when using the fitness center, then go with Mariner.  Royal has completely redone the fitness center on Navigator, relocating it to a smaller area on one side of the ship and  removing the free sauna and steam rooms.

11 minutes ago, chloebell1 said:

Which port is easier to get to? If we go on the navigator I would rather fly into ft lauderdale the day before. I think someone said pt canaveral is an hour from the airport?

Navigator cruises out of PortMiami, which is around 45 minutes from Ft Lauderdale (FLL) airport.

Mariner cruises out of Port Canaveral, which is about 45 minutes from Orlando (MCO) airport.

We prefer Port Canaveral to Miami, as it is less crowded, less expensive, more relaxed.  However, that might be boring for you.

I have been on both recently and would pick Mariner hands down over Navigator.

The new gym is terrible on Navigator, they moved around a lot of venues, added more staterooms, and cluttered decks 11 and 12 on Navigator making it feel crowded and chopped up. They feel equally modern, but they did a much better job on Mariner IMO. 

On 7/14/2019 at 1:51 PM, kruzerci said:

The new gym is terrible on Navigator, they moved around a lot of venues, added more staterooms, and cluttered decks 11 and 12 on Navigator making it feel crowded and chopped up. They feel equally modern, but they did a much better job on Mariner IMO. 

One of the yet unanswered questions about the Navigator refurb with regard to the fitness center was, does it now have any locker rooms with restrooms/showers? Could you please let us know what those facilities, if any, are like?

On 7/14/2019 at 1:16 PM, Host Clarea said:

Navigator cruises out of PortMiami, which is around 45 minutes from Ft Lauderdale (FLL) airport.

Mariner cruises out of Port Canaveral, which is about 45 minutes from Orlando (MCO) airport.

We prefer Port Canaveral to Miami, as it is less crowded, less expensive, more relaxed.  However, that might be boring for you.

Not a fan of Miami. We could see Dodge Island from our hotel and it still took over 30 minutes to get there 

Screenshot_20190713-090342_Maps.thumb.jpg.78a2d9bc47525fcf76c5bd97be4e7ded.jpg

37 minutes ago, CntPAcruiser said:

One of the yet unanswered questions about the Navigator refurb with regard to the fitness center was, does it now have any locker rooms with restrooms/showers? Could you please let us know what those facilities, if any, are like?

There is a smaller gym with low ceilings. There is a group of lockers right when you walk in, they are in the gym not a bathroom or changing room. They cut out the ceiling so that 3-4 treadmills can incline, the rest do not. 

There is a men’s and women’s restroom with sinks but no shower or locker room. 

We too like Canaveral. We usually spend the night before in the Lake Buena vista area and walk around Disney Springs, then jump on the Beechline(528) and shoot across to the port. Our ritual is Dunkin donuts in Cape Canaveral the morning of the cruise.

On 7/14/2019 at 1:51 PM, kruzerci said:

The gym was odd, but for me worked ok each day. I agree that it is not like a typical gym with the views and facilities, but I think because I liked the refurb so much, that it was okay with me. That being said, I will not see Mariner until Aug 2, so I may change my opinion. 

Naturally I am biased since I live near PC, but even if it was same distance to either port...flying or driving...I would still choose Mariner to cruise out of Port Canaveral.  Much easier embarkation port.  

Ships, IMHO, are so similar...I would indeed choose by embarkation port preference.  

We were looking at the same but have decided on the navigator.  This was our first Rccl ship and looking at the pictures since the refurb it looks amazing.  We haven’t cruised from port canaveral in a long time. It’s a nice port but far from the airport. The prices for September are amazing but since we will be just back from the Allure on 9/8, I think we will go the end of September. 

On 7/20/2019 at 9:09 AM, maggieq said:

We were looking at the same but have decided on the navigator.  This was our first Rccl ship and looking at the pictures since the refurb it looks amazing.  We haven’t cruised from port canaveral in a long time. It’s a nice port but far from the airport. The prices for September are amazing but since we will be just back from the Allure on 9/8, I think we will go the end of September. 

Distance is relative. 😉

Distance from MIA to port is around 8 miles 

Distance from MCO to PC is 46 miles.

In most cases I'd rather make the drive from Orlando to PC

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Distance is relative. 😉

Distance from MIA to port is around 8 miles 

Distance from MCO to PC is 46 miles.

In most cases I'd rather make the drive from Orlando to PC

If I lived in Cocoa Beach, I would too 😊

4 minutes ago, maggieq said:

If I lived in Cocoa Beach, I would too 😊

Understood, but that's not the point. 

Just home from Empress.  We stayed the night before within eyesight of Dodge Island. 

20190721_191621.jpg.cbf1d7b48153b050423b7d379cd3c6fa.jpg

It took over 35 minutes to get to the pier

Screenshot_20190713-090342_Maps.thumb.jpg.e84c4211cd6eaccdfe774ea6e31800fe.jpg

26 minutes was a lie😉