19 year old cruisers, will cruise be refused?

On 7/20/2019 at 2:45 PM, Tinkerbellsparkle said:

My 19 year old daughter and her 19 year old boyfriend would like to book a cruise. Then reading the terms and conditions, noticed it said you have to be 21 to book, even though after putting in their dates of birth it still allows them to make a booking online.

Did the website accept their credit card and generate an actual Confirmation number?

In the UK try Marella part of TUI. All inclusive, local airports and will give them a cruise experience. Going all out for a first cruise on Princess or MSC at that age, lot to sort out flights, onward travel etc and organise, might be overawed unless of course they are super independent well travelled teens. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Tinkerbellsparkle said:

Thanks for your comments.

So the only cruise company we could find to book the 19 year olds on was MSC.

So guess who's now taking them on their Princess cruise? 😂 Oh well that's a good excuse for an extra holiday for me and hubby!

So they're paying for themselves of course.  Are they paying for you also?

On 7/21/2019 at 7:45 PM, clo said:

It's sounding to me that, while the kids may want to do this and one of the mothers is behind it, that perhaps it's not the best thing at that age.  If Princess has that policy then that would be enough "fair warning" for me.

Come on! They are a couple and they are 19 going on a Princess cruise.. You talk like they are 15 and going to Magaluf.

1 hour ago, Extra Kim said:

Come on! They are a couple and they are 19 going on a Princess cruise.. You talk like they are 15 and going to Magaluf.

Regardless, it does not change what the age policy may be with the cruise line and that is the only thing that would matter.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Extra Kim said:

Did you not see the above?  She couldn't find a line that would carry them.

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Regardless, it does not change what the age policy may be with the cruise line and that is the only thing that would matter.

Well that's not the issue I had with her re-ply. Read her judgemental re-ply regarding their age.

I did a trip to Tenerife with my former girlfriend when I was 20 and she was 18. The year after I did a trip to Magaluf with five friends. 

Let's just say that those two trips was VERY different and the one I did when I was 21 involved a LOT more alcohol..

There's a Swedish cruise ship that does one night cruises in the Baltic sea, their age limit is 23. The first 2 years of the relationship with my wife, we couldn't sail on the ship, but we could sail 7nts on the Allure of the seas.. Logical? No but it is what it is.

1 hour ago, clo said:

Did you not see the above?  She couldn't find a line that would carry them.

Well she could, but they choosed to solve it in a different way. But that wasn't the point.

2 hours ago, Extra Kim said:

Well that's not the issue I had with her re-ply. Read her judgemental re-ply regarding their age.

I did a trip to Tenerife with my former girlfriend when I was 20 and she was 18. The year after I did a trip to Magaluf with five friends. 

Let's just say that those two trips was VERY different and the one I did when I was 21 involved a LOT more alcohol..

I get that and I guess I should have multi-quoted to include that response as well, as my point was that individual opinions about what ages are appropriate for what vacations aren't relevant - only those ages as specified by the cruise lines matter.  And they likely are in place because of the varied opinions that would be expressed regarding whether or not lower ages are appropriate, and that probably most people would agree with an older age limit than a younger one.  JMO.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I get that and I guess I should have multi-quoted to include that response as well, as my point was that individual opinions about what ages are appropriate for what vacations aren't relevant - only those ages as specified by the cruise lines matter.  And they likely are in place because of the varied opinions that would be expressed regarding whether or not lower ages are appropriate, and that probably most people would agree with an older age limit than a younger one.  JMO.

I don't know what non-US countries are like but the US is VERY litigious.  I've no doubt that are a ton of rules that companies (not just cruise lines) enact to help avoid law suits.

IIRC, there is a thread about a similar instance with Royal Caribbean.

And what happened was, the cruise got cancelled by the line.  The money was refunded, but it was cancelled somewhat late, and there were other expenses.

Bottom line, there are rules.  You can pay attention or not.  But if you don''t, and you get caught, don't try to cry about it.

• Like 1