Rain pants & shoes?

RDempster

Has anyone really needed rain pants or waterproof shoes while on their cruise?  We’re trying to not go crazy with what we are buying and packing.  We all have nice 3-in-1 rain coats.  Just curious what others have found necessary while up there.  In Juneau doing a private whale watch tour, walk around Mendenhall and walk around town a little.  In Skagway renting a Jeep.

Thanks!

Yes, we have had to use our rain pants on some of our past Alaska trips/excursions. Whenever we go to Alaska we only take one pair of shoes (Merrells or tennis shoes) and buy the waterproof spray.  For rain pants, we have wind/rain pants that fold up very small and can be put into our backpacks.  If is raining, and you don't want to get wet, then rain/wind pants come in handy.  Alaska's weather is unpredictable so you need to be prepared. 

You will most likely do fine with walking shoes. Just make sure to apply some water proofing spray. We took rain pants and never used them. We only had one day in 16 with rainy, windy weather and that was only for an hour or so on a whale watch. We both wore good Gore-Tex light weight rain jackets. We both had nice waterproof boots and wore them all the time except on a train/van tour into the Yukon out of Skagway. Lightweight walking shoes that day. Most of the advice I've seen here on CC is walking shoes only. On our air tour around Denali and a glacier landing at their base camp, they provided full pull over boots for those that felt the need. I hear most glacier tour operators do the same. We did not since our boots were perfect for the snow covered glacier.

b8h5Ew5.jpg

Edited by masterdrago

You will likely encounter rain in at least one of your ports or potentially on your scenic cruising day. Some of our trips have been rainier than others, but I don't think we have had one without any rain at some point. And the thing about Alaska is that rain is business as usual for the people there - so unless the weather was actually dangerous the excursions and tours operate rain or shine. We have done tours, including zip lining in the rain. That being said I have never felt the need for any special type of pants or shoes. If it is mild to moderate rain, I still wear my jeans just like I would at home unless I feel I'm going to get drenched. I do have a pair of black water resistant slacks that I bring and on a couple days, like the zip lining day, when I knew I was likely to get pretty wet I did wear those instead of jeans. As far as shoes, most people seem to be fine with tennis shoes. I myself prefer my ankle height walking boots - they are just most comfortable to me and they are waterproof and slip resistant so I never even worry about the rain as long as I am wearing those shoes. Just wear what you find most comfortable, plan to dress in layers, and for a top jacket have something rain resistant and for pants have something water resistant if you are doing any kind of tour where you know you could get really wet.

Planning for our June 2020 trip - we were going to bring our Columbia 3-in-1 jackets.. should we bring another rain jacket too?  Where would be the best place to find those at a reasonable price?  We aren't doing any tours that will be outside all the time - the Yukon bus trip in Skagway, renting a car in Juneau to go to Mendenhall, and the 26 glacier cruise in Whittier on embarkation day... Don't know what we are doing in Ketchikan yet.   Thanks!

5 hours ago, RDempster said:

Has anyone really needed rain pants or waterproof shoes while on their cruise?  We’re trying to not go crazy with what we are buying and packing.  We all have nice 3-in-1 rain coats.  Just curious what others have found necessary while up there.  In Juneau doing a private whale watch tour, walk around Mendenhall and walk around town a little.  In Skagway renting a Jeep.

Thanks!

Two cruises to Alaska and used a raincoat one time, didn’t use pants.  Besides layering, I bring a fleece jacket and a raincoat and pants that fit into a compact zippered  plastic bag. We walked in and out of stores in Juneau in a steady rain the whole day and stayed dry.

6 hours ago, puppymama1 said:

Planning for our June 2020 trip - we were going to bring our Columbia 3-in-1 jackets.. should we bring another rain jacket too?  Where would be the best place to find those at a reasonable price?  We aren't doing any tours that will be outside all the time - the Yukon bus trip in Skagway, renting a car in Juneau to go to Mendenhall, and the 26 glacier cruise in Whittier on embarkation day... Don't know what we are doing in Ketchikan yet.   Thanks!

My Columbia 3-in-1 jacket has been perfect for my 15 Alaska cruises.  I leave the liner at home as it is difficult to remove and store in a backpack.  Instead, I bring a cardigan sweater that can be quickly removed and stuffed in my excursion backpack when the temps rise.  No need for an extra rain jacket.  I do bring a Frog Toggs poncho in my excursion backpack in case the rain is very strong or I am sitting down in a watercraft in the rain.  A poncho will also keep your camera drier between shots if it is not waterproofed.  I bring my Frogg Toggs rain pants just in case but I have yet to use them.

My Merrell low hiking shoes have worked perfectly for all of my Alaska ventures but waterproofed sneakers will, too.

If you have forgotten anything, the second floor of the Tongass Trading Company at the Ketchikan pier will have it.  the bottom floor will have every tourist item you could want.

• Like 1

I live in the Seattle area where I do 2+ hours of recess duty every day.  I am getting ready to start packing for my 12th trip to Alaska. I do not even own rain pants and have never felt the need for them in Alaska.  I do own waterproof hiking shoes due to my job, but before I had them, I just took sneakers.  I've never had my shoes get so wet that I couldn't wear them the next day.

My recommendation is to not spend a lot of money on things you may not need and may never use again.  I good rain jacket is worth the investment.  Rain pants and shoes are not, IMO.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crew News said:

My Columbia 3-in-1 jacket has been perfect for my 15 Alaska cruises.  I leave the liner at home as it is difficult to remove and store in a backpack.  Instead, I bring a cardigan sweater that can be quickly removed and stuffed in my excursion backpack when the temps rise.  No need for an extra rain jacket.  I do bring a Frog Toggs poncho in my excursion backpack in case the rain is very strong or I am sitting down in a watercraft in the rain.  A poncho will also keep your camera drier between shots if it is not waterproofed.  I bring my Frogg Toggs rain pants just in case but I have yet to use them.

My Merrell low hiking shoes have worked perfectly for all of my Alaska ventures but waterproofed sneakers will, too.

If you have forgotten anything, the second floor of the Tongass Trading Company at the Ketchikan pier will have it.  the bottom floor will have every tourist item you could want.

Speaking of backpacks, when we were on our Baltic cruise last month, I saw lots of women carrying small backpacks instead of purses while on tours. Any recommendations of brands and where to get them?  I don’t want anything too big, but a little bigger than the baggalini cross body purse I have now. Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies.  Sounds like we can save the money on the rain pants, so that’s good.  Don’t think we’ll go crazy on the shoes either.  Our North Face & LL Bean 3-in1 jackets should be perfect though. Those get good use over here in New England as it is in spring/fall, so should be good there.  

2 more weeks!  Can’t wait!

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 6:04 AM, puppymama1 said:

Speaking of backpacks, when we were on our Baltic cruise last month, I saw lots of women carrying small backpacks instead of purses while on tours. Any recommendations of brands and where to get them?  I don’t want anything too big, but a little bigger than the baggalini cross body purse I have now. Thanks!

This is the pack we bought before going to AK. We’ve gotten a lot use out of it. It’s very handy with just enough organization without being bulky at all. The shoulder straps are wide enough too...much more comfortable than a string bag.

https://www.amazon.com/Outlander-Packable-Lightweight-Backpack-Daypack/dp/B0092ECRLA/ref=sr_1_3?crid=CRW1K51PT8Y9&keywords=packable+backpack&qid=1564055899&s=gateway&sprefix=Packable+%2Caps%2C196&sr=8-3

I agree with everyone about the rain pants. We wore tech fabric pants on days when there might be rain (something we normally have and wear) and those were handy but I wouldn’t purchase rain pants.

I would be investing more in Smartwool socks to wear with whatever walking shoes you prefer if you don’t already have waterproof shoes. Treat whatever shoes you do have and be wise with your sock choice. Smartwool socks will keep your feet warm if they do get damp/wet and will also dry well.

18 minutes ago, Anita Latte said:

This is the pack we bought before going to AK. We’ve gotten a lot use out of it. It’s very handy with just enough organization without being bulky at all. The shoulder straps are wide enough too...much more comfortable than a string bag.

https://www.amazon.com/Outlander-Packable-Lightweight-Backpack-Daypack/dp/B0092ECRLA/ref=sr_1_3?crid=CRW1K51PT8Y9&keywords=packable+backpack&qid=1564055899&s=gateway&sprefix=Packable+%2Caps%2C196&sr=8-3

I agree with everyone about the rain pants. We wore tech fabric pants on days when there might be rain (something we normally have and wear) and those were handy but I wouldn’t purchase rain pants.

I would be investing more in Smartwool socks to wear with whatever walking shoes you prefer if you don’t already have waterproof shoes. Treat whatever shoes you do have and be wise with your sock choice. Smartwool socks will keep your feet warm if they do get damp/wet and will also dry well.

Thank you Anita - it looks perfect!

• Like 1

we are going on our cruise next week and found these online.  i figure if we are sitting outside or on a whale watch, its a good option as it its very easy to carry around and pack up.  i plan to dispose after the trip. they are 14$ amazon prime.  the sole has some tread as well.  there are also silicone shoe covers you can purchase - prettier than but like the old fashioned rubbers that we used to put on our shoes oh so many years ago....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CPCWMPM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 8.57.18 AM.png

Edited by GolfMommy17
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, RDempster said:

Thanks for all the replies.  Sounds like we can save the money on the rain pants, so that’s good.  Don’t think we’ll go crazy on the shoes either.  Our North Face & LL Bean 3-in1 jackets should be perfect though. Those get good use over here in New England as it is in spring/fall, so should be good there.  

2 more weeks!  Can’t wait!

I think you'll be fine...

We were in Alaska in late May, temps were averaging 60's (and warmer) and we didn't have much rain.  We didn't buy/pack rain pants (not something either of us would ever wear).  I bought each of us $20 hooded rain jackets at Costco.  There were many days we did not need them.  My husband wore a long or short sleeve tshirt each day (he's not one to get cold).  I usually wore a tshirt or tank, and then something on top that I could take off (sweater, fleece etc).  No problems whatsoever.

We both wore our cross trainer tennis shoes (didn't waterproof them) - no issues.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Edited by CutieKakes

On 7/25/2019 at 5:59 AM, GolfMommy17 said:

we are going on our cruise next week and found these online.  i figure if we are sitting outside or on a whale watch, its a good option as it its very easy to carry around and pack up.  i plan to dispose after the trip. they are 14$ amazon prime.  the sole has some tread as well.  there are also silicone shoe covers you can purchase - prettier than but like the old fashioned rubbers that we used to put on our shoes oh so many years ago....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CPCWMPM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 8.57.18 AM.png

You really don't need these.  They will take up valuable luggage space.  In 10 trips to Alaska and over 25 years living in the Seattle area, I have NEVER seen anyone wear these. 

12 minutes ago, sherryf said:

You really don't need these.  They will take up valuable luggage space.  In 10 trips to Alaska and over 25 years living in the Seattle area, I have NEVER seen anyone wear these. 

i am hoping i won't need them - but since we don't have waterproof (i am spraying my sneakers but they are canvas with lots of pores) or hiking shoes, these will suffice in emergency.  i will be happy to have them -and then get rid of them!