Time lines for touring NYC?

After discussing many possible tourist sites to visit on our one full day in NYC , we have finally thought we had the perfect plan, only to realize I totally spaced waiting on luggage at the airport.  So now we have 3 possibilities.  Please critique time lines for any flaws.  I would also like to apologize for the numerous threads I started while we tried to figure out our priorities.  Speaking of Priorities, our top two priorities are Central Park and a Statue Cruise.  Other things we would like to do if time permitting is the Walking food tour (Nolita and Little Italy-Greenwich Village) and the 9-11 Memorial.  I also want to have pancakes at the Brownstone Diner sometime while we are there.  Option I A would be perfect if the Residence Inn would allow us to eat our free breakfast on Saturday instead of Sunday, as we could fit in everything we want and not feel rushed with the schedule.

Option 1: 

• Flight arrives at EWR 8:02 Saturday
  • 8:30ish Get bags and Uber to Residence Inn Jersey City
  • Arrive at Residence Inn around 8:50 (Do you think they might let us eat our free buffet breakfast on Saturday instead of Sunday?  I know we will be starving!  I really wanted to eat at Brownstone Diner, but this plan doesn't allow time for that.)  Try to check in early, if not possible leave luggage with them.
  • Travel to Greenwich Village apx. 30 minutes
  • Walking food Tour in Greenwich Village 11-2

Part 1A (If we could check in earlier)

• Travel to 9-11 Memorial (outside only) 15 mintues
  • Visit Memorial 2:15-2:45 (I've heard this doesn't take long.  Did I allow enough time?)
  • Travel to Central Park apx. 30 minutes
  • Visit Central Park 3:15- 5:30
  • Travel to Pier 62 apx. 35 minutes
  • Sunset Cruise 7:15-9:00 -Not sure how early we need to arrive, but certainly wouldn't want to miss it!

Part 1B (If we need to return to hotel to check in, dh doesn't want our bags with them until 10 at night)

• Return to Resident Inn Jersey City to check in - travel time apx. 25 minutes
  • R.I. 2:30-3:00
  • Travel to Central Park apx 45 minutes
  • Central Park 3:45-5:30
  • Travel to pier apx. 35 minutes
  • Sunset Cruise 7:15-9:00?

Either way we won't arrive at our hotel until 10 PM or so.  Is it safe to walk around that Pier area that late at night to get to public transit?

Option 2:

• No rush in the AM, figure out breakfast based on time available
  • Walking Food Tour Greenwich Village 11-2
  • Travel to Central Park apx. 25 minutes
  • Central Park 2:30-4:00 
  • Travel to Pier 62 apx 35 minutes
  • Statue & Sightseeing Cruise 5:15-6:45
  • Travel to Jersey City and eat dinner at Brownstone Diner

Option 3:

• Breakfast at Brownstone Diner 9:15-11:00
  • travel to Central Park apx 30 minutes
  • Central Park 11:30-1:30
  • Lunch somewhere in area 1:30-2:30
  • Walk to St. Patrick's Cathedral 11 minutes (since we will already be in the area)
  • St. Patrick's Cathedral 2:40-3:15 (Is this enough time?)
  • travel to pier 30 minutes
  • Statue of Liberty Cruise 4:15-5:45
  • Possibly go to Memorial after this if we feel like it...

Please let me know if you see any flaws with any of these plans.  

Right off the bat you're going to be very pressed to get to the Village by 11. From your hotel in Jersey City 30 minutes is the bare minimum it will take if you don't hit any traffic in an Uber. If you use public transportation it will take longer. 

I know you have been pretty diligent on planning but honestly at this point it sort of begs the question-- why not just stay in midtown? You'll spend less time and money in the back and forth, give yourself more time to see the city, and it's a quick reverse commute out to Cape Liberty the day of the cruise. 

9 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Right off the bat you're going to be very pressed to get to the Village by 11. From your hotel in Jersey City 30 minutes is the bare minimum it will take if you don't hit any traffic in an Uber. If you use public transportation it will take longer. 

I know you have been pretty diligent on planning but honestly at this point it sort of begs the question-- why not just stay in midtown? You'll spend less time and money in the back and forth, give yourself more time to see the city, and it's a quick reverse commute out to Cape Liberty the day of the cruise. 

Honestly, I chose this hotel because of its proximity to the Brownstone Diner. I know how silly that sounds!  Besides, when we booked our room we were planning on driving and dh didn’t want to drive in the city. Now we are flying. I hadn’t given any thought to switching hotels. 

You really think we would have a hard time making it there by 11?  We would have nearly 2 hours to grab a quitclaim breakfast and make a 30 minutes commute. 

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

Your time lines are way too tight.  Things always take extra time in NYC.  Uber’s can encounter unexpected traffic or you may have to wait for public transit let alone walk a little on either end of your subway trip.  Just figuring out the ticket machines can take a few minutes.

Where exactly are you going in Greenwich Village?  Where exactly is your meeting place in Central Park?

Agree that getting your bags and in Uber by 8:32 at EWR is probably not going to happen. It might if you’re lucky but you can’t count on that. 

If you’re doing a food tour at 11 no sense hurrying up to eat a large breakfast beforehand. Run into a coffee shop around where you have time. 

You can easily do the top 3 things on your list. Go to Central Park. You can rent bikes and spend all day there. Go for your Harbor Cruise. Eat dinner at the Brownstone. You can get pancakes for dinner if you want. 

4 minutes ago, 138east said:

Your time lines are way too tight.  Things always take extra time in NYC.  Uber’s can encounter unexpected traffic or you may have to wait for public transit let alone walk a little on either end of your subway trip.  Just figuring out the ticket machines can take a few minutes.

Where exactly are you going in Greenwich Village?  Where exactly is your meeting place in Central Park?

It’s says we will meet near Mott and Prince, with an exact meeting place given upon booking. Where are my timelines too tight?  

2 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

Agree that getting your bags and in Uber by 8:32 at EWR is probably not going to happen. It might if you’re lucky but you can’t count on that. 

Ugh!  We haven’t flown for many years. How long does it typically take to retrieve luggage?

If you’re doing a food tour at 11 no sense hurrying up to eat a large breakfast beforehand. Run into a coffee shop around where you have time. 

Thats why I was hoping the hotel would let us grab a little food there.  They have a free breakfast buffet sitting out.  We wouldn’t have to wait for someone to cook something or waste time going anywhere before heading to Greenwich Village. We could grab a bagel or something and take it with us. We will be leaving home at 4:30 am, I’m sure we will be starving by the time we get there. 

You can easily do the top 3 things on your list. Go to Central Park. You can rent bikes and spend all day there. Go for your Harbor Cruise. Eat dinner at the Brownstone. You can get pancakes for dinner if you want. 

So you think we need to eliminate the food tour?  It sounded cool but isn’t mandatory. 

18 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Honestly, I chose this hotel because of its proximity to the Brownstone Diner. I know how silly that sounds!  Besides, when we booked our room we were planning on driving and dh didn’t want to drive in the city. Now we are flying. I hadn’t given any thought to switching hotels. 

You really think we would have a hard time making it there by 11?  We would have nearly 2 hours to grab a quitclaim breakfast and make a 30 minutes commute. 

I just think your day would be a lot less harried than this is going to be commuting back and forth from NJ. Stay in NYC and you take one Uber in and one Uber out to the ship. 

There are plenty of equally good if not much better diners in Manhattan. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

I just think your day would be a lot less harried than this is going to be commuting back and forth from NJ. Stay in NYC and you take one Uber in and one Uber out to the ship. 

There are plenty of equally good if not much better diners in Manhattan. 

I just looked at possibilities with our points, not much to choose from. Then to get there (Times Square area) from the airport is nearly an hour, then it’s much further to Bayonne. I think I’d rather stay in Jersey City. 

I concur, perhaps didn't stated clear enough on earlier posted replies to you, about EWR airport operations, even on a "slowish" Saturday morning with fewer landings & takeoffs ... Been held on the tarmac waiting for an available gate & buckled on the taxiway for 90 minutes for ATC to clear for takeoff, weather is another unknown until 72 to 24 hours out for a "short" flight, held at "origination" airport.  

Here's a timeline - aircraft "wheels down" at 7:45; taxi hold ... engine stopped & wheels choked/parked at the gate at 8:00; pax begin to deplane ... walk out to gate/into terminal, exit to luggage carousal, wait for bags - ready to call for Uber at 8:20 to 8:30.  Uber arrived, bags loaded & ready to exit EWR at 8:30 to 8:40 - north on NJT or Rt. 1/9 north, etc. to RI.  Arrive at hotel between 8:55 to 9:15 - proceed inside ... early check-in or bag drop.  

EWR is a big airport with int'l flight ops, it is huge, with 3 passenger terminals and it can be a very long walk from the gate to luggage area, and then out to curbside for ground transportation - easily 10 to 15 minutes alone, without stopping for restroom or wait for luggage, etc.  

Since you are sailing out of Cape Liberty, you can enjoy the hotel's free hotel buffet on Sunday morning ... unless you need to rush to CL early check-in, I don't see that indicated for.  Most diner are happy to serve their signature specials 24/7, on items like pancake - with less than a whole day, you are simply trying to do too much of the impossible.

Are you a Marriott Envoy Elite (at least Silver or Gold) as otherwise, I do not think it is remotely possible to get early checked in at 09:00 on a weekend at an airport hotel ... we stayed at numerous TownPlace & Residence Inns by Marriott over decades.  Housekeeping staff typically do NOT report for & start their daily routines until 9 a.m. and highly unlikely for a vacant room to be available on arrival for you, sorry.  Please feel free to ask & call the hotel's local # directly and ask, they might honor a best effort & note it on your reservation but no promises ... of course, mobile online check-in can be done but it is different.  Front/bell desk should be able to hold your luggage, safely, until you return later on - tip ahead first as the person might be off-duty later on.  Eating comp'd breakfast on day of arrival - only the hotel staff can answer or honor your wish, just ask ... some of them issued a voucher.  

Mott & Prince Street is in the northern part of Little Italy/SoHo, narrow one-way streets and plenty of local traffic by 9 a.m. including folks on foot.  I don't see anything (yet) about weekend block parties, street fairs, etc.  (the Feast of San Gennaro in Little Italty is about 2 weeks later on Mulberry Street) as any/all closures & traffic diversion will be extra bottleneck riding around, "Citi Bikes" aside - especially in Manhattan.  Your short trip/ride on Uber from RI to this food tour might easily take longer than 30 minutes.  As such, for simplicity - grab coffee & a breakfast sandwich on the go, at either EWR or at the RI (if available) to make the 11 am walking tour ... P.S. clean public bathrooms are sometimes hard to find along the route. 

Most of your point-to-point time are based on Google Maps ??  Maybe ??  It does NOT take into real waiting time, vehicle & pedestrian traffic & crowds in the middle of the NYC, and "minor" things like buying a MTA Metro Card for subway/bus fares ... while standing behind others on a line at those automated fare kiosk, not all "token" booth are manned or open on weekends, lots of DIY self-service.   Case in point, depending on where your food tour conclude - it might be another 15 minutes to find your way to the nearest subway station, buy fare card & walk 3 levels down to train platform, wait & maybe transfer to anothe lines to CP - get there in 20 minutes on weekend reduced schedule services, and another 5 minutes to the park "entrance".  

Let me toss in a monkey wrench, what is your Plan C in case of hot/bad/wet weather ?? 

7 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

I concur, perhaps didn't stated clear enough on earlier posted replies to you, about EWR airport operations, even on a "slowish" Saturday morning with fewer landings & takeoffs ... Been held on the tarmac waiting for an available gate & buckled on the taxiway for 90 minutes for ATC to clear for takeoff, weather is another unknown until 72 to 24 hours out for a "short" flight, held at "origination" airport.  

Lovely 😔

Here's a timeline - aircraft "wheels down" at 7:45; taxi hold ... engine stopped & wheels choked/parked at the gate at 8:00; pax begin to deplane ... walk out to gate/into terminal, exit to luggage carousal, wait for bags - ready to call for Uber at 8:20 to 8:30.  Uber arrived, bags loaded & ready to exit EWR at 8:30 to 8:40 - north on NJT or Rt. 1/9 north, etc. to RI.  Arrive at hotel between 8:55 to 9:15 - proceed inside ... early check-in or bag drop.  

Are you a Marriott Envoy Elite (at least Silver or Gold) as otherwise, I do not think it is remotely possible to get early checked in at 09:00 on a weekend at an airport hotel

Yes, we are Gold Elite

... we stayed at numerous TownPlace & Residence Inns by Marriott over decades.  Housekeeping staff typically do NOT report for & start their daily routines until 9 a.m. and highly unlikely for a vacant room to be available on arrival for you, sorry.  Please feel free to ask & call the hotel's local # directly and ask, they might honor a best effort & note it on your reservation but no promises ... of course, mobile online check-in can be done but it is different.  Front/bell desk should be able to hold your luggage, safely, until you return later on - tip ahead first as the person might be off-duty later on.  Eating comp'd breakfast on day of arrival - only the hotel staff can answer or honor your wish, just ask ... some of them issued a voucher.  

I have contacted them. They put a note on our reservation and said they would be more than happy to give us our room when we arrive if they have one. He also said to call back either the night before or morning of to see it they do. Then of course said they would be happy to hold our luggage. 

Mott & Prince Street is in the northern part of Little Italy/SoHo, narrow one-way streets and plenty of local traffic by 9 a.m. including folks on foot.  I don't see anything (yet) about weekend block parties, street fairs, etc.  (the Feast of San Gennaro in Little Italty is about 2 weeks later on Mulberry Street) as any/all closures & traffic diversion will be extra bottleneck riding around, "Citi Bikes" aside - especially in Manhattan.  Your short trip/ride on Uber from RI to this food tour might easily take longer than 30 minutes.  As such, for simplicity - grab coffee & a breakfast sandwich on the go, at either EWR or at the RI (if available) to make the 11 am walking tour ... P.S. clean public bathrooms are sometimes hard to find along the route. 

Northern part?  That would be the closest to us, correct?  

Most of your point-to-point time are based on Google Maps ??  Maybe ??  It does NOT take into real waiting time, vehicle & pedestrian traffic & crowds in the middle of the NYC, and "minor" things like buying a MTA Metro Card for subway/bus fares ... while standing behind others on a line at those automated fare kiosk, not all "token" booth are manned or open on weekends, lots of DIY self-service.   Case in point, depending on where your food tour conclude - it might be another 15 minutes to find your way to the nearest subway station, buy fare card & walk 3 levels down to train platform, wait & maybe transfer to anothe lines to CP - get there in 20 minutes on weekend reduced schedule services, and another 5 minutes to the park "entrance".  

Yes, all my times are from google maps. I’ve never taken a train before. It didn’t even cross my mind that we would have to purchase something to board. I guess I just envisioned handing them cash. I’m starting to see why at first dh didn’t want to deal with going there. It’s starting to sound very complicated. 

Let me toss in a monkey wrench, what is your Plan C in case of hot/bad/wet weather ?? 

We live in Charlotte, so we are used to hot weather. Summer is my favorite season. I hate cold weather!  We plan on taking an umbrella in case of rain. I would still do the food tour in the rain. It rained on the last one we did and it didn’t bother us. However, it doesn’t sound like we can make it there on time. 😔  Both Cruises we are looking at are on a covered yacht, so although visibility would be an issue, we would be covered and it has a bar. I would most likely skip Central Park and maybe try to find a Broadway Show, museum, the cathedral, a restaurant, or bar to visit instead. 

7 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Would our timeline work if we switched to the Courtyard Manhattan/SoHo?  

Your timeline will still be tight but I think your overall enjoyment of it all will be significantly more staying in Manhattan than staying in Jersey City since your entire touring focus is Manhattan. Think about it logistically too-- by staying in the city you will take one Uber from Newark to your hotel and one Uber from your hotel to the pier. With Jersey City you'd take 4-- airport to hotel, hotel to city, city to hotel, and hotel to pier the next day. Much more streamlined staying in NYC. 

I say your timeline will still be tight not because you necessarily don't have time to do most of what you suggest, but that you are underestimating the time it will take to get from place to place in the city. Sometimes it's quick, sometimes it takes forever. NYC is a fickle mistress in the logistics department. By moving hotels and staying in Manhattan though you will pick up more usable time-- possibly tacking on a nice walk through the park before a leisurely dinner for example rather than having to schedule that into a tour. 

OP - if you decide to change hotels, post back with the hotel name (Marriott soho?) and your final plan so we can explain the subway service available to you near your hotel.  Soho is way downtown and going to and from some of your destinations may be easier, faster, and certainly cheaper by subway.  For the Marriott you have the Houston Street subway station 1 1/2 blocks from the Marriott for a direct trip to the SW corner of Central Park (Columbus Circle) on any uptown train.  To go to the SE area of Central Park you can walk about 3 blocks to the Spring Street Subway Station and take the uptown “E” train to the 5th Ave/53rd St station and walk 6 short blocks to the park (The is also the station for St Patrick’s.).  These may not be absolutely the fastest routes, but they are “KISS principle” routes for tourists.  “Uptown” and “Downtown” are key directional words for using the subway.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

• Like 1

2 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Your timeline will still be tight but I think your overall enjoyment of it all will be significantly more staying in Manhattan than staying in Jersey City since your entire touring focus is Manhattan. Think about it logistically too-- by staying in the city you will take one Uber from Newark to your hotel and one Uber from your hotel to the pier. With Jersey City you'd take 4-- airport to hotel, hotel to city, city to hotel, and hotel to pier the next day. Much more streamlined staying in NYC. 

I say your timeline will still be tight not because you necessarily don't have time to do most of what you suggest, but that you are underestimating the time it will take to get from place to place in the city. Sometimes it's quick, sometimes it takes forever. NYC is a fickle mistress in the logistics department. By moving hotels and staying in Manhattan though you will pick up more usable time-- possibly tacking on a nice walk through the park before a leisurely dinner for example rather than having to schedule that into a tour. 

Great advice - not only do you have two Uber rides vs four, you save yourself the time involved in waiting, boarding, etc. Second, staying in Manhattan (the place you actually came to see) gives you much more time/flexibility.

• Like 2

We just switched hotels. We will now be staying at the Courtyard Central Park. I chose it so we could avoid all the transportation hassles of Jersey City and even SoHo. Speaking of SoHo, we decided not to do that tour.  I see we can walk to Central Park, Top of the Rock, and St. Patrick’s Cathedral. No timelines, no rush...just walk and enjoy the sights. The only tour we are booking is the Champagne Sunset Cruise from Pier 62, Chelsea Piers. We will need transpiration there. Subway?  Is that what the icon is on google maps?  It appears any form of transportation is under a half hour, but now I understand I need to add more time than what it shows. How much additional time should I allow for a 7:15 cruise?  

Is there anything else within walking distance we might want to see, time permitting?  Is there a good Diner close?  We will need to find somewhere for breakfast Sunday morning. Thanks for the advice to switch to a NYC hotel. I had originally suggested that to dh but he quickly said no. However, at that time we were planning on driving and he didn’t want to deal with the traffic. He’s fine with it now that we’re flying.

Any restaurant suggestions in the area?  I don’t want to dress up and I’m not into “fancy” foods.  Dh likes everything, and I like Mexican, Italian (why that food tour looked so appealing!  Lol), and American. I love a good steak, but I doubt I would pay NYC prices for one.  Pizza one of my favorites, but it can make me ill so not the best idea. I’m sure there will be plenty of choices. 

Thanks for all all your help!

I’d recommend Uber or a cab to Pier 62 unless you have a lot of time.  Pier 62 is in Hudson River Park and has a skateboard park and Carousel.  The High Line is only 2 blocks away between 10th & 11th Ave.

https://hudsonriverpark.org/explore-the-park/map#activities=sunbathing-at-pier-63-lawn

https://www.thehighline.org/visit/

44 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We will need transpiration there. Subway?

Just take a cab or Uber-- will be less hassle. If you're not familiar with the subway the first few times can be daunting. From midtown I would leave around 6:15 for a 7:15 cruise from Chelsea Piers to give yourself enough time to get there and check in. 

46 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Is there a good Diner close?

There are plenty. At 55th and 6th not far from you there is the Astro Restaurant which is a classic Greek diner. If you want something for breakfast thats a little more upscale (but still fun comfort food) Norma's at the Parker New York is a treat. 

49 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Any restaurant suggestions in the area?  I don’t want to dress up and I’m not into “fancy” foods.

Quite near to you is a restaurant called La Bonne Soupe, also on 55th. Old New York standby with French bistro fare thats very good and reasonably priced. There are too many good places to name but a general rule is stay out of the Times Square area when you are going to eat. Most places are restaurants that are chains and locals wouldn't eat in. Overpriced for the lack of quality you get. 

New York is a great steakhouse destination but there area also a lot of chain steakhouses which aren't worth a visit when you have so many authentically local options. If you were going to splurge for a steak and want a very New York experience I would recommend Keen's Steakhouse on 36th and 6th. Its an old school gem-- worth a drink in the bar even if you don't eat there.

Speaking of a drink-- also worth dropping into the King Cole Bar at the St Regis Hotel. Classic New York watering hole. The food is quite expensive but its worth going in for a drink to see the mural and take in the atmosphere. 

• Thanks 1

CY at Central Park is ideal, much better location-wise than CY in SoHo - you got plenty of expert suggestions of dining options in the area.  

This solved the unknown arrival time into EWR & transfer to the hotel, Uber or car services (Carmel or Dial 7, both are just as easy) as you wish.  If you are still thinking of doing the quick 9/11 Memorial, outside tour only - spend the late morning/early afternoon in the midtown area but make your way down there by 4:30 or 5 p.m. - do the walk & perhaps see the nearby landmarks.  Then, hail a cab or Uber to the Chelsa Piers at W. 23th Street/12th Avenue - it's a 10 minutes walk from dropoff to the piers via the pedestian path (I don't believe vehicles are allowed in, curbside directly ... others can feel free to "correct" me.) - by 6:15 to 6:30 p.m. - from WTC area, it's an easy 15 minutes up the old West Side Hwy/12th Avenue with less than a dozen traffic lights, going north along the Hudson River.  

Keep in mind if riding in an Uber/taxi or car service, it is going to moving slow in midtown Manhattan traffic when going east to west/river to river, average 2 to 3 miles per hour only - compared to doing north/south in direction, i.e. Central Park East down to WTC/911 Memorial.  

If you aren't entirely exhausted post-SOL cruise (dinner included ??) - Uber/taxi to Times Square area to see the night scene, maybe a late bite - then back to the hotel to sleep.  

Embarkation morning - Uber to CL or maybe just book Carmel or Dial 7 ahead with an exact pickup time in front of the hotel - directions to the pier can be a little tricky for drivers unfamiliar with that area, GPS often give wrong turn-by-turn directions (unless it's been improved) ... 138East/Carol can reference to her details steps & latest tips/directions on getting to the pier.  

2 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We just switched hotels. We will now be staying at the Courtyard Central Park. I chose it so we could avoid all the transportation hassles of Jersey City and even SoHo. Speaking of SoHo, we decided not to do that tour.  I see we can walk to Central Park, Top of the Rock, and St. Patrick’s Cathedral. No timelines, no rush...just walk and enjoy the sights. The only tour we are booking is the Champagne Sunset Cruise from Pier 62, Chelsea Piers. We will need transpiration there. Subway?  Is that what the icon is on google maps?  It appears any form of transportation is under a half hour, but now I understand I need to add more time than what it shows. How much additional time should I allow for a 7:15 cruise?  

Is there anything else within walking distance we might want to see, time permitting?  Is there a good Diner close?  We will need to find somewhere for breakfast Sunday morning. Thanks for the advice to switch to a NYC hotel. I had originally suggested that to dh but he quickly said no. However, at that time we were planning on driving and he didn’t want to deal with the traffic. He’s fine with it now that we’re flying.

Any restaurant suggestions in the area?  I don’t want to dress up and I’m not into “fancy” foods.  Dh likes everything, and I like Mexican, Italian (why that food tour looked so appealing!  Lol), and American. I love a good steak, but I doubt I would pay NYC prices for one.  Pizza one of my favorites, but it can make me ill so not the best idea. I’m sure there will be plenty of choices. 

Thanks for all all your help!

Bills Bar & Burger on 51st Street just west of Fifth Ave, next to Rockefeller Center has good menu and reasonable prices. The Brooklyn Diner at 212 West 57 Street is also near your hotel - upscale diner, good menu and reasonable prices for that part of town.

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

$21 for French toast??? 😱 It does look quite delicious though!

I said say “upscale”;   and “reasonable for that part of town” —- which certainly does not translate to “reasonable” in most other places . 

If if you want just plain “reasonable”, you could try the Skylight Diner at 4-hundred-something West 34 th Street - for a more gritty, “real” New York ambience.  I am sure the French toast would be half that, or less.

Edited by navybankerteacher