Puerto Plata Cruise Stop

vpearlkc

There is a new cruise port called Taino Bay being built in downtown Puerto Plata that opens in July 2020.  That is where NCL will be docking.  Only Carnival and affiliated brands use Amber Cove. The developer is the same one who built Costa Maya to give you an idea what to expect.

This is the approximate location:

https://www.google.com/maps/@19.8019907,-70.7004005,1036m/data=!3m1!1e3

8 minutes ago, timf2001 said:

There is a new cruise port called Taino Bay being built in downtown Puerto Plata that opens in July 2020.  That is where NCL will be docking.  Only Carnival and affiliated brands use Amber Cove. The developer is the same one who built Costa Maya to give you an idea what to expect.

This is the approximate location:

https://www.google.com/maps/@19.8019907,-70.7004005,1036m/data=!3m1!1e3

That makes sense as our cruise is in 2021 on the Breakaway. It looks great and I like that it is in the center of town. Thanks for the info. Just sad that we had to cancel our Panama Canal cruise due to my wife's job. 

18 minutes ago, Sea saw 56 said:

Last time we were on a cruise (NCL) that went to the DR it was a tender port, that was several years ago.

We stayed onboard and enjoyed a "sea day".

And if they don’t sort out why people are (were) dying after drinking cocktails we’ll be staying onboard too.

2 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

And if they don’t sort out why people are (were) dying after drinking cocktails we’ll be staying onboard too.

No problem for me I will just drink bottled beer.

• Like 1

We were in Puerto Plata back in the late 70’s on a cruise and bought some great amber pendants at very reasonable prices. One with tiny ants in it and another with a fly. We liked the port and felt very safe. If I went now I would not eat or drink anything I didn’t bring off the ship and the amber  is probably much higher priced and more fakes may be out there now too. 

Mary Ann

26 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

Puerto  Plata is nowhere near Punta Cana where the people died.  Why deny yourself a trip to the Fortress and all the history that is housed there?  Just bring your own water bottle off the ship filled with ship's beverage and you'll be fine. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, UFMOM said:

We were in Puerto Plata back in the late 70’s on a cruise and bought some great amber pendants at very reasonable prices. One with tiny ants in it and another with a fly. We liked the port and felt very safe. If I went now I would not eat or drink anything I didn’t bring off the ship and the amber  is probably much higher priced and more fakes may be out there now too. 

Mary Ann

unfortunately, those days are long gone. We did the same in 1980 but now apparently amber is not considered a semi precious stone or that is all I can figure because it has shot way up in price.