pride vs bliss vs anthem vs grandeur of seas for christmas

luckyinpa

ive not been on any of those ships. i assume universal truth of 50% kids on any of them and thats ok. but ive only been on the breakaway and regal princess so looking for opinions which you prefer christmas on and why. (no stories about haven please, i cannot do that this time but did it before 🙂

pricing seems to be almost the same except grandeur is 1700 for a balcony which is the highest for a balcony. 

im sticking to those ports as they are drive-able. i'm not paying 600 + for plane fare and worrying about winter storms. 

Bliss is similar to Breakaway, so you're familiar with the basics on that one.  Pride and Grandeur are pretty old ships, and much smaller.  They don't even come close to the bells and whistles of Bliss and Anthem.  I haven't sailed Anthem but I hear great things about her, and the entertainment looks amazing.  

I guess I'd go with Anthem because in my opinion, RCI is a better cruise line.  Good luck with your choices.   

I would use the same logic and dismiss Pride and Grandeur from consideration due to their age. The OP should compare the 2 remaining side by side to see which ship has the amenities and offerings they would enjoy better.

• Like 1

I agree with PP’s, but would add one other consideration.  Anthem was built for colder weather - the main pool can be covered and more things to do inside, so it may be better ship for sailing out of Bayonne in Dec.  

In terms of Christmas cruises, we did one two years ago on RCI Navigator with our son.  There were lots of families and kids, but I have seen more kids over Thanksgiving.  We have two more Christmas cruises booked - 10 day on Serenade this year, and 14 day on Silhouette in 2020.  Absolutely love spending Christmas on a ship.  The ships are decorated.  They do caroling.  Santa visits and gives gifts to kids (RCI swag, but it’s the thought that counts).  I would not let the number of kids on board sway you - it is a great time. 

no kids

the cold weather is definitely something i want to plan for since we definitely have it. and now i see some sales on TA sites that give some decent perks this week on anthem. 

if you can give me a short rundown of why anthem is better for the cold cruise id appreciate it. its about 900 cheaper than NCL now as well. 

39 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

no kids

the cold weather is definitely something i want to plan for since we definitely have it. and now i see some sales on TA sites that give some decent perks this week on anthem. 

if you can give me a short rundown of why anthem is better for the cold cruise id appreciate it. its about 900 cheaper than NCL now as well. 

The main point is how the ship was designed -  to have more activities indoors, although if you do not have any kids, some of those areas may not benefit you.  Except that if there is stuff for kids to do inside, then they won’t be running around bothering the adults in other areas of the ship.  For example, the main pool is covered so they can go swimming, but adults have covered Solarium so they also have their own private pool.  I am not sure if Bliss has covered pools.  On Anthem they have Seaplex, but I think most of the Bliss activities are outside.   Don’t get me wrong, I think Bliss looks like a great ship.  Not sure you could go wrong either way.  But I do remember sailing on Grandeur over Thanksgiving one year when there was snow on the deck when we boarded.  The kids got very restless with so little to do the first sea day.  We did not mind as one of those restless kids was ours...lol... but you saw a lot more kids hanging out on stairwells and hanging out in Centrum, and they open Solarium up twice a day for families to use.  Well, I can still almost hear the complaints from the adults about the loss of their sanctuary for a few hours for those days...lol

5 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

no kids

What sites have deals on the Anthem.  Right now, I found Bliss to be cheaper...it has free drinks, specialty dining, wifi and something else (maybe excursion discount).

33 minutes ago, Michthebeech said:

What sites have deals on the Anthem.  Right now, I found Bliss to be cheaper...it has free drinks, specialty dining, wifi and something else (maybe excursion discount).

did you factor in the 350 in fees for the free things? if one doesnt need those things one can save money. 

1 hour ago, luckyinpa said:

did you factor in the 350 in fees for the free things? if one doesnt need those things one can save money. 

What 350 in fees.   I’m not sure where that is listed.  Help.  I’m just starting out with my shopping and I am not familiar at all wit NCL 

30 minutes ago, Michthebeech said:

What 350 in fees.   I’m not sure where that is listed.  Help.  I’m just starting out with my shopping and I am not familiar at all wit NCL 

NCL hits you with a mandatory service charge on their so-called free beverage and dining packages.  Plus, make sure you're pricing the right room category.  Usually, the lowest price in each category does not include those perks. 

3 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

NCL hits you with a mandatory service charge on their so-called free beverage and dining packages.  Plus, make sure you're pricing the right room category.  Usually, the lowest price in each category does not include those perks. 

Thanks for the info.  I will definitely pay close attention.  

17 hours ago, Michthebeech said:

Thanks for the info.  I will definitely pay close attention.  

just do some mock bookings and go all the way to the end where you enter your name and address. then under the price hit VIEW and you will see the breakdown. it will be cruise price ....govt fees...and 'free things tax' is what i call it. i was kinda shocked 1st time i did it. but you have to pay about 20 a day for the drinks. so thats 140 for 7 day cruise. i think the specialty is about 18 or 20 for the tax for the package. so well over 300 in 'free' fees for your stuff. 

and note you cannot book a non guarantee without perks. i think that sucks. but if you choose wifi and excursions i believe there are no extra fees and its a true 'freebee'  . one time i tried to see about a higher balcony and it wanted to charge me the same price as if i picked my own. thats crazy. 

also if you havent learned by now when you look at the main NCL pricing page and see the low prices you wanna just add 200 to each price unless you are ok with a guarantee room . thats the true pricing.  

Glad to see all the advice against Grandeur.

More cabins for those of us who love her.

No, she is not a floating amusement park.  But one of the best staffs in the industry.