Speciality dining with kids...

hmmerr01

OK, so what will my options be for specialty dining with a 13 year old and/or an 11 year old? They like to go to fancy places... but not necessary ready for adult entrees at any/all venues? May 1 but not all... what will we encounter?  Thanks!

At those ages you are in a tough spot. They can eat off of the child's menu without charge, or else they eat off the adult menu at regular price. Maybe you should leave them in the kids club, but that defeats the concept of a family dinner. Good luck figuring this one out. (As a thought they could share an entree.)

Edited by zqvol

You can find the menus online and see if they are interested in the food.  My kiddo has been "fine dining" since she was little, and never has ever had any trouble finding food she loved in all of the specialty dining restaurants onboard NCL.  

honestly, at those ages I'd show them the menu and let them decide ahead of time what they want to do (eat off the kids menu for free, to eat off the adult menu, or to eat ahead of time at the buffett and then be in the kids club during your dinner).  It costs too much to pay for a kid who won't enjoy the food (and some kids really do enjoy specialty dining, but you don't want to be paying for a kid who will whine the whole time "but mom, why couldn't I have a burger?" 

The staff were quite patient with my 3 year old, so I'm sure they'll be fine with your kids.  Back then, specialty dining was half price for children, so it was an easier decision since I wouldn't feel badly if it didn't work out at half price.

Edited by kitkat343

They should do fine choosing off the menu. At their ages I wouldn't think the kids menu would appeal to them if they have a chance to experience specialty dining. Of course you may end up spending a lot for food that may bet wasted but if that doesn't bother you, let them enjoy the fun of going to a special place for a special meal. You may want to have 1 dinner without them, just for you and hubby. 

7 minutes ago, plum24 said:

What's the uncharge for kids at specialty restos?

They vary.  Some are ala carte like Cagneys where a 5 oz filet is $25 plus service charge plus cost of any sides.  Teppanyaki is in the $30+ range for whole dinner plus service charge.  Types of restaurants vary by ship.  Look at Bird's live report for menus and prices on Joy.

Edited by dexddd

Depending on how many specialty dinners you’re going to do, it may make sense to purchase a package for them too. Mine are 9 and 12, and they ordered off the adult menu and found several items they liked. Their favorites in order (we were on Getaway): Cagney's, Teppanyaki, Moderno and Le Bistro. I purchased a package for each (as Moderno and Teppanyaki were already a set flat fee, just made sense at that point to do the package).

Like others have stated, look at the menus and you’ll be able to tell right away if there’s items they will like. Mine ordered off the adult menus in the MDR for the other nights as they had their full of kid type of food (i.e. fries, nuggets, pasta , pizza)  at the buffet for lunch and snacks. Lol. 

Do they want to go? My kids are similar ages and their favorite part of cruising is that they can go to the buffet, be independent, and get whatever they want. They just know that a third of one plate has to be veggies (but not a third of the second or third plate, lol).

And me and DW get date nights!