Price reduced and rebooking

Kate45

I know I have read on CC before but am a bit confused as to whether you can get a price reduction after final payment. Here's our situation.

We booked thru a TA in April for Oct 9 sailing on Zuiderdam from Quebec City to Ft Lauderdale, inside cabin (Category I) with free grats and a little OBC (less than $100). Paid approx $1600 Cdn each. Final payment was 2 weeks ago. Yesterday went on HAL site to check pricing and noticed pricing of $1165 ea for Obstructed OV (not sure if this is a upgrade/downgrade but we are okay either way). This is a difference of $871 per cabin. So if we take the prepaid grats and obc credit off (converted to Cdn $), we would still be ahead $364. We have purchased insure thru our TA that is "cancel for any reason".

Okay so this brings about my questions:. Can I cancel and rebook? I've read where some of you have gotten to do this without even having to cancel. What are the odds of this happening. I guess I need to go thru my TA or do I call HAL myself? Right now we can get the beverage pkg incl for less than we paid but I'm not sure if it's for new bookings only. 

Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Would your cancel for any reason insurance transfer or do you have to “use” it and purchase again? (I haven’t seen CAR insurance that returned better than 75% when the “any reason” clause is used.)

If you booked through a TA you have to go through the TA.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

12 minutes ago, Kate45 said:

I know I have read on CC before but am a bit confused as to whether you can get a price reduction after final payment. Here's our situation.

We booked thru a TA in April for Oct 9 sailing on Zuiderdam from Quebec City to Ft Lauderdale, inside cabin (Category I) with free grats and a little OBC (less than $100). Paid approx $1600 Cdn each. Final payment was 2 weeks ago. Yesterday went on HAL site to check pricing and noticed pricing of $1165 ea for Obstructed OV (not sure if this is a upgrade/downgrade but we are okay either way). This is a difference of $871 per cabin. So if we take the prepaid grats and obc credit off (converted to Cdn $), we would still be ahead $364. We have purchased insure thru our TA that is "cancel for any reason".

Okay so this brings about my questions:. Can I cancel and rebook? I've read where some of you have gotten to do this without even having to cancel. What are the odds of this happening. I guess I need to go thru my TA or do I call HAL myself? Right now we can get the beverage pkg incl for less than we paid but I'm not sure if it's for new bookings only. 

Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, 

I would call TA and have them negotiate upon your behalf, pretty sure you want get a price reduction, but you may get a much better cabin and if your lucky some OBC.  Good luck, please let us know what happens. 

In my experience HAL will refuse to discuss this with you and will tell you that your TA must do this. When you have booked with a TA about the only thing HAL will discuss with you direct is dining reservations, shore excursions and spa reservations; this would be through ship services.

10 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

In my experience HAL will refuse to discuss this with you and will tell you that your TA must do this. When you have booked with a TA about the only thing HAL will discuss with you direct is dining reservations, shore excursions and spa reservations; this would be through ship services.

Hi Jane...good to see you posting!  I agree with you and it has been my experience that they will tell you to contact your travel agent.  I have gotten future cruise credit after final payment.

Karen

Have your TA call HAL and see what they offer.   It all depends on what you paid, how much the penalties will be, to what they will offer if anything.   This seems to be a substantial drop so well worth having your TA call.  You may be pleasantly surprised.  Let us know how things work out for you?