covered aft balconies?

39august

What a shame! I was afraid that was the case. We are booked in an aft sky suite for 2 of our up-coming cruises. So, I guess from now on it's either the SS1's on deck 12 aft or SS2's on deck 12  being careful where they are located under the OCV.  I can't imagine that most people prefer full sun on their balcony with no respite from the weather. 

9 minutes ago, 39august said:

What a shame! I was afraid that was the case. We are booked in an aft sky suite for 2 of our up-coming cruises. So, I guess from now on it's either the SS1's on deck 12 aft or SS2's on deck 12  being careful where they are located under the OCV.  I can't imagine that most people prefer full sun on their balcony with no respite from the weather. 

I guess it really depends on the time of year and destination. We don't generally sail in the Caribbean and absolutely love the aft sky suites (as do many others as evidenced by their popularity). If you think you are going to be unhappy, why don't you just switch cabins now, before sailing? You can always be waitlisted for a cabin of choice.

FWIW, I've always been able to find a sliver of shade to tuck into on the veranda.

15 minutes ago, 39august said:

We certainly don't.  It's why we never consider aft-facing cabins on the S-class ships. 

2 hours ago, 39august said:

When we had our SS2 we specifically picked deck 12 because it offered shade.  I would never have wanted any of the balconies below us.  I live in FL and don't need full sun on the balcony.  Now we were under the Ocean View Cafe exterior seating area, but we heard minimal noise from above and our balcony set back under the overhang so no one could look from above down onto us.  I would personally take a side ship balcony over the after balconies on decks 11 and below.  One other note:  on Equinox (not sure about other S-Class Ships) there are only 2 Concierge Class balconies on deck 12 aft.  The reset of the aft cabins are SS1 and SS2.

Edited by ShawninFL

Though not Suite Class, the aft Concierge Class 1 staterooms on Millennium Class ships (Decks 7, 8 and 9) feature huge balconies...  By my guess, a half to two-thirds of those verandas are sheltered from above with the area closest to the rail  unsheltered...

Those cabins on Decks 7 and 8 have other staterooms above and below; those on Deck 9 have the Sunset Bar and outdoor 0ceanview dining above...

We have had aft cabins on a variety of ships, and our TA reserves them for us when available.  We are not sun people, so covered is nice.  There tends to be no wind.  However, a bit of exposed deck is nice when sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge or equivalent.  Some ships with open aft patios will get some soot in port, so watch the railing.

2 hours ago, BSinPNS said:

Actually the aft facing AQ cabins on M class deck 11 have a lot of cover and a lot of space.  Our favorites.   You will quickly learn what the Maltese flag looks like.  

Got off the Summit 4  weeks ago.  We were in cabin 1141 and cover was minimal.  Additionally the cover over the Sunset Bar has been removed so those sitting out there had a good view of the Deck 11 balconies.