Shows on the Royal

tjcletzgo

We just got off. No Secret Silk. They had Sweet Soul Music and Encore. I've seen both several times before so didn't go see them this time. Additionally, we had AJ Jamal, Michael Misko, Dan Bennett, Solomon Jaye, Barbi McCullough and Jennifer Singer as guest entertainers over the two weeks. All enjoyable! What made the cruise in terms of entertainment was cruise director Matt O and his team - they are the best!

11 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

We just got off. No Secret Silk. They had Sweet Soul Music and Encore. I've seen both several times before so didn't go see them this time. Additionally, we had AJ Jamal, Michael Misko, Dan Bennett, Solomon Jaye, Barbi McCullough and Jennifer Singer as guest entertainers over the two weeks. All enjoyable! What made the cruise in terms of entertainment was cruise director Matt O and his team - they are the best!

is Encore, the one that includes operatic arias?  I'll be on the Royal Princess in September, and that might motivate me to catch one of the Princess Theater shows.

2 hours ago, tjcletzgo said:

Can anyone tell me what shows are on the Royal?  What is good and what isn't?  Is Silk playing?

Thanks so much!

We just got off the Royal on a b2b cruise to Alaska this month. We found the entertainment to be severely lacking. The comedian A.J. Jamal was great, but we went to most of the shows and found the others to be much less entertaining than on our previous cruises. Barbi the opera singer spent a great deal of her time bragging about how great and wonderful she was, which provided us with a little laughter, but I'm quite sure that wasn't the type of attention she was looking for. The Voice of the Ocean was on the cruise if you like talent type singing shows. We were disappointed that Silk wasn't one of the shows and the Production Show was the worst we have seen. Maybe others found the shows better, but we weren't not impressed. Nevertheless, the ship is beautiful and the cruise was great otherwise. 

3 minutes ago, Bwana Tom said:

We just got off the Royal on a b2b cruise to Alaska this month. We found the entertainment to be severely lacking. The comedian A.J. Jamal was great, but we went to most of the shows and found the others to be much less entertaining than on our previous cruises. Barbi the opera singer spent a great deal of her time bragging about how great and wonderful she was, which provided us with a little laughter, but I'm quite sure that wasn't the type of attention she was looking for. The Voice of the Ocean was on the cruise if you like talent type singing shows. We were disappointed that Silk wasn't one of the shows and the Production Show was the worst we have seen. Maybe others found the shows better, but we weren't not impressed. Nevertheless, the ship is beautiful and the cruise was great otherwise. 

I agree  - I didn't see either production show as I'm not a fan of either of them and have seen them both previously. AJ Jamal was very funny and I did find the other shows enjoyable, though certainly not up there with many others we have seen! My traveling companion felt the same as you about Barbi - I think I tuned most of that out! We REALLY enjoyed the other entertainment around the ship - trivia, game shows, High Seas Heist, Voice of the Ocean, etc - that's what made the cruise for us!

49 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

is Encore, the one that includes operatic arias?  I'll be on the Royal Princess in September, and that might motivate me to catch one of the Princess Theater shows.

There is a fair bit of opera type singing in Encore, but it's not as operatic as Bravo and does include some other musical type numbers. It's an ok show - not my favorite, but entertaining.

16 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

There is a fair bit of opera type singing in Encore, but it's not as operatic as Bravo and does include some other musical type numbers. It's an ok show - not my favorite, but entertaining.

Thank you.  I appreciate the info

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 7:53 PM, Bwana Tom said:

We just got off the Royal on a b2b cruise to Alaska this month. We found the entertainment to be severely lacking. The comedian A.J. Jamal was great, but we went to most of the shows and found the others to be much less entertaining than on our previous cruises. Barbi the opera singer spent a great deal of her time bragging about how great and wonderful she was, 

I've seen Barbi's show many times on several ships and I beg to differ.  I think she presents a very inspiring show of what someone from a small town can achieve with enough dedication.  If anything is ever mentioned about how "great and wonderful" she is, it's only to emphasize the above and to motivate others to do the same.  

I don't believe you saw the same show DW and I have seen of hers over the course of several cruises  on Royal and other ships.  

She's quite humble in person if you met her, by the way.  She told a couple in front of us in line, "If I gave you what you needed, I fulfilled my purpose tonight."

I'd hardly call that bragging.

Edited by musicpro442
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 7:11 PM, XBGuy said:

It does feature a few operatic arias, mostly by the guest soprano, but there are other enjoyable numbers as well.  Something for everyone, I feel.  

On 8/21/2019 at 5:10 PM, tjcletzgo said:

Can anyone tell me what shows are on the Royal?  What is good and what isn't?  Is Silk playing?

Thanks so much!

I would recommend going to everything for a few minutes and stand in the back.  If it's not your cup of tea, at least you gave it a try.  If you do enjoy it, go find a seat and have fun. 

Also, word is that Secret Silk will not be running for several months.  I heard from the current entertainers onboard that the creative team is reworking material that violates a very specific and niche intellectual property rights issue.  Which may involve more original Schwartz songs.  That's a positive, at least. 

Edited by musicpro442

3 hours ago, musicpro442 said:

I would recommend going to everything for a few minutes and stand in the back.  If it's not your cup of tea, at least you gave it a try.  If you do enjoy it, go find a seat and have fun. 

I can see you haven't attended that many Princess shows.

Seating is usually gone 30 minutes prior to the start of most shows and even if there is seating room, trying to find a seat after the show has started is next to impossible. 

On 9/2/2019 at 6:28 AM, musicpro442 said:

I've seen Barbi's show many times on several ships and I beg to differ.  I think she presents a very inspiring show of what someone from a small town can achieve with enough dedication.  If anything is ever mentioned about how "great and wonderful" she is, it's only to emphasize the above and to motivate others to do the same.  

I don't believe you saw the same show DW and I have seen of hers over the course of several cruises  on Royal and other ships.  

She's quite humble in person if you met her, by the way.  She told a couple in front of us in line, "If I gave you what you needed, I fulfilled my purpose tonight."

Agree 100% with this assessment!

Barbi’s show should be impossible for one person to sing (it even used to be titled “Show: Impossible”, not sure why they would make her get rid of that perfectly descriptive title).

She goes from classical to “pop-ra” to show tunes to rock anthems to ballads that will tear your heart out (if your eyes are dry after her tribute to her late grandmother, I fear for your soul), all delivered with technical virtuosity and deep emotional resonance.

The patter is concise and delivered to inspire, not pat herself on the back (the full house on its feet after both the finale and the Encore, who also waited in a 30-minute meet-and-greet queue were more than capable of patting her back). Nobody is everybody’s cup of Darjeeling, but you do yourself a profound disservice if you’re on Royal and miss Barbi’s show. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2019 at 5:24 AM, musicpro442 said:

Also, word is that Secret Silk will not be running for several months.  I heard from the current entertainers onboard that the creative team is reworking material that violates a very specific and niche intellectual property rights issue.  Which may involve more original Schwartz songs.  That's a positive, at least. 

Secret Silk will be back on the Royal Princess as of tomorrow. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, idahospud said:

Secret Silk will be back on the Royal Princess as of tomorrow. 

So thrilled to see it listed in the Patter this evening for tomorrow. 😃

Saw it last April shortly after it debuted and loved it! 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

So thrilled to see it listed in the Patter this evening for tomorrow. 😃

Saw it last April shortly after it debuted and loved it! 

Are you on Royal now? Just wonder if the Mariachi 3 is onboard? They are 3 people band usually wear the nice Mexico hats and perform in Piazza and wheelhouse. Love their music. Hope to see them again this year. Thanks!

13 minutes ago, aprilsp88 said:

Are you on Royal now? Just wonder if the Mariachi 3 is onboard? They are 3 people band usually wear the nice Mexico hats and perform in Piazza and wheelhouse. Love their music. Hope to see them again this year. Thanks!

We have the Diamond Trio onboard. They are great!

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2019 at 3:28 AM, musicpro442 said:

I honestly don’t know why it matters if someone comes from a small town or a large city because hard work is hard work.  I wasn’t impressed with her because while she was one of the judges for the Voice of the Ocean show she gave her critique and she  commented on how they didn’t pronounce certain letters correctly.  She did this not once but twice.  Both times the singers were from Japan and I found her comments to be quite rude. I was embarrassed for her.  I thought about saying something to Matt O but I never had the chance.  

Matt, if you’re reading this will you please say something to her.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 12:19 AM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I honestly don’t know why it matters if someone comes from a small town or a large city because hard work is hard work.  I wasn’t impressed with her because while she was one of the judges for the Voice of the Ocean show she gave her critique and she  commented on how they didn’t pronounce certain letters correctly.  She did this not once but twice.  Both times the singers were from Japan and I found her comments to be quite rude. I was embarrassed for her.  I thought about saying something to Matt O but I never had the chance.  

Matt, if you’re reading this will you please say something to her.

If an English singer sings in a foreign language, they're expected to sing the language's correct diction.

Ms. McCulloch is a highly skilled, highly trained opera singer, and having also been an instrumentalist in a conservatory environment, and the rigors and critiques that are put upon musicians and vocalists in that setting, I can say that her criticism, regardless of intention, is part of her training and was perfectly valid.

Perhaps you haven't been in that type of environment to understand where she's coming from.  And, having met her several times, I can say she is a lovely, kind person who most likely had no ill intent other than making sure the English language was properly sung.

Edited by musicpro442

3 hours ago, musicpro442 said:

If an English singer sings in a foreign language, they're expected to sing the language's correct diction.

Ms. McCulloch is a highly skilled, highly trained opera singer, and having also been an instrumentalist in a conservatory environment, and the rigors and critiques that are put upon musicians and vocalists in that setting, I can say that her criticism, regardless of intention, is part of her training and was perfectly valid.

Perhaps you haven't been in that type of environment to understand where she's coming from.  And, having met her several times, I can say she is a lovely, kind person who most likely had no ill intent other than making sure the English language was properly sung.

These are people that are on a cruise ship, on vacation.  I live in California and I’ve been around a lot of entertainers; I’m so sorry if I haven’t been in the right environment , lol.

3 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

These are people that are on a cruise ship, on vacation.  I live in California and I’ve been around a lot of entertainers; I’m so sorry if I haven’t been in the right environment , lol.

I didn't write the RIGHT environment.  I wrote THAT TYPE of environment.  

Big difference.

But, if you would like to talk about a "right environment", when you can actually stand on a stage and be trained to perform some of the hardest music to sing or play, perhaps you'll be more qualified to judge a classical judge from their perspective. Perhaps that's why they called her to be on the panel, to lend a legitimate, classically trained perspective.

If you don't know the whole story, just sit back and enjoy, as most cruisers on vacation do, instead of finding some minutiae to pick someone you've never met apart about.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 12:24 AM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Neither have we & weren't all that impressed. 

We saw Silk last week on the Royal and we felt the two lead ladies had excellent voices but the lead male had a weak voice so it brought the performance down for us. Yes they have some Jim Henson puppets in the show but for the most part they were an accent and not the show stealer with a possible exception.  Again some people thought it was fantastic with standing ovations, so as all shows everyone has a different view of these shows.

• Like 1