Hor d'oeuvres on QM2

Marronnier

Could anyone let me know if hor d'oeuvres are served anywhere on the QM2. On a HAL cruise last year we enjoyed the tasty hot or cold hor d'oeuvres served with drinks before dinner. I don't recall seeing anything similar on our previous TA on the QM2 some years ago. We will be on a round trip TA on the QM2 in November. Any information gratefully received.

I sailed on the QM2 TA this past July and hor d'oeuvres were served in the Chart Room when you ordered a drink.  Sometimes the Chart Room was so crowded that the overflow had to go to Godiva to order a drink.  They only served potato chips as an hor d'oeuvre with your drink in Godiva.  Your experience on HAL being served hor d'oeuvres must be new.  I said on the Veendam last year and no hor d'oeuvres were served when you ordered a drink.  You were lucky if you received some dry roasted peanuts.   I hope his helps.

Thanks sagavista. The hor d'oeuvres on the HAL Noordam last May (transpacific) in the Pinacle Bar (open to all guests) were excellent and quite elaborate - from blinis to sliders to salmon mouse and satay skewers changing almost every night. They became something we looked forward to each day. Doesn't sound as if the Cunard do anything similar.

1 hour ago, sagavista said:

Cunard serves canapes and at times the barman would also bring a small dish of olives.  Your experience on the Noordam was far different from mine on the Veendam.  I guess it varies from HAL ship to ship. 

Quite right, and me too Sagavista. I sailed on the Maiden Voyage ( 19 days on the Koningsdam)  I was  never offered a canapé with my pre dinner drink after 6pm, other than a 'shaker jar' of salted peanuts , which incidentally was past back and forth along  the Bar Top ! 

Marrionnier,  yes  you can be assured a selection of  Canapés, including crisps/nuts are offered with pre dinner drinks, either in the Commodore /Chart room bar ( obviously not in the pub) . Always standard in the evenings with pre dinner drinks  from around 5pm through to 8.30pm ,  

(Late evenings, crisps/nuts are often offered) 

1 hour ago, Marronnier said:

Thanks sagavista. The hor d'oeuvres on the HAL Noordam last May (transpacific) in the Pinacle Bar (open to all guests) were excellent and quite elaborate - from blinis to sliders to salmon mouse and satay skewers changing almost every night. They became something we looked forward to each day. Doesn't sound as if the Cunard do anything similar.

Cunard is premium , of course they do. They have been dealing with a well heeled demographic of guest for around 178 years . 

6 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Hot canapes are avaiulable in the Grill Lounge before dinner. Cold ones are sent to QG rooms.

You may also request hot canapes from you butler, but they are very generous, so I had to ask for a small sampler. We could have fed an army. 

Marrioner:  Try the Commodore Club just about every evening  Lots of prepared appetizers.. We too were on the Noordam last spring for the Pacific crossing and we were in the Pinnacle Bar many evenings.  We usually had chips which we prefer, something salty to go with our drinks.  It was our favorite bar on the Noordam because the bar tender and server were exceptional.  But we way, way prefer the Commodore Club on the QM2, and like the Chart Room even more.  The design of the rooms is as good as it gets on a ship.

15 hours ago, tv24 said:

...prefer the Commodore Club on the QM2, and like the Chart Room even more.  The design of the rooms is as good as it gets on a ship.

Could not agree more.  Last trip it was CC for a cocktail(s) before dinner and CR for post dinner drinks and listening to the fantastic jazz combo.  This next crossing I may try the reverse.  They are both beautiful rooms with a very liner-y feel to them.  There is just something quietly stately in the CR, kind of like a 1st class lounge.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1