Prague with Avalon

RTLS

Wondering whether anyone has been in Prague as a part of the Avalon Danube trip and took the included Guided City Walk. I am trying to organise an extra day we have there on our own and I'm trying not to duplicate.

The Avalon  included walk visits the Castle Grounds, St. Vitus Cathedral and the Astronomical Clock. I'm wanting to know whether we see only the exterior of the Cathedral or whether a visit inside will be included?

Thinking of spending our "extra" day up at the castle but will skip the Cathedral if we are going to see it with our tour. Any other ideas for that day? What about the Funicular?

Thanks for any advice

Judy

we did not go inside the cathedral on the included tour. The tour ended at the astronomical clock and you could either stay in the main plaza area and explore on your own or take the bus back to the hotel which we did since we had booked the optional Hidden Treasures of Prague tour for that afternoon. If we could do it over again we would have stayed there and explored more on our own.

Have a great time!

In June, we did go inside the Cathedral on the included tour.

We chose to leave the tour when the groups were getting back on the buses because we wanted more time at the castle and had p look aces we wanted to see on the way down, wanted to walk across the Charles Bridge.

Interesting that one group went inside the cathedral and the other didn't.

ANDEE  - may I ask what you particularly wanted to see on the way down from the Castle and also can you remember about how long that walk down would have been?  Also would that have been your only opportunity to walk across the Charles Bridge?

On an Avalon Christmas markets cruise we went into the Cathedral, and walked around the palace, before being taken to the Astronomical clock. We had arrived at lunch time the previous day - transfered from Nurenberg with Avalon -arrived in Prague at lunchtime, so had that afternoon free - we walked to Charles Bridge and Old Town for the markets. We were staying at the Intercontinental in Prague. After seeing the Astronomical clock (during the included tour) we then walked to Wenceles Square (was about lunch time) - and out to the ugly tower and were able to get back for a late afternoon river cruise. Some people went up the tower at the clock. We managed to do this on our last morning before checking out.

Thanks everyone. Lots of help.

Today we were notified that our hotel has changed from the Hilton to the Intercontinental. It actually looks like a more central location.

As we have one night on our own, any suggestions for dinner? Walking distance preferred.

Judy

I would suggest to leave the tour at the castle. If they have not visited the inside of the Cathedral, you can do it on your own and then go through the remainder of the Castle complex to the Golden Lane and down the stairs into Lesser Town. Visit the church on Lesser Town square and Kampa Island (with John Lennon wall) and then walk across Charles bridge following the street to Old Town Square with the Astronomical Clock tower.

Afterwards admire the beautiful Art Nouveau buildings along Parizska street on your way back to Intercontinental. Maybe stop to visit Klementinum with what many call the “most beautiful library in the world”

https://www.boredpanda.com/beautiful-library-prague-czech-clementinum/

Look into a private tour of the Jewish Quarter - even if you are not Jewish -due to its historical importance (some of the oldest synagogues and cemeteries in Europe).

For dinner (or lunch) I would choose a local restaurant - like one of the pubs - over international restaurants for better food at better prices. Concierge at the hotel can assist you.

For shopping or window shopping - especially for Bohemian crystal - walk along Celetna street from Old Town square to (and through) Powder Gate to Municipal house just past the tower.

Go inside to check interior and the beautiful Art Nouveau restaurant on ground floor or have a meal downstairs with local musicians at dinner.

Czechs & Prague are very musical - like Vienna - and if you are so inclined find a concert in one of the churches.

Enjoy Prague - a very special city.

We arrived in Prague on a Sunday to sightsee on our own; the included tour was on Wednesday.

On the way down, we visited St Nicholas Church and the Wallenstein Gardens. Loved them both.

I don't know what you mean about the only opportunity to walk across the Charles Bridge. It was just the time that worked best for us, given what we were doing the other days.

We especially enjoyed our meal at the beautiful Cafe Imperial.

10 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I would suggest to leave the tour at the castle. If they have not visited the inside of the Cathedral, you can do it on your own and then go through the remainder of the Castle complex to the Golden Lane and down the stairs into Lesser Town. Visit the church on Lesser Town square and Kampa Island (with John Lennon wall) and then walk across Charles bridge following the street to Old Town Square with the Astronomical Clock tower.

Afterwards admire the beautiful Art Nouveau buildings along Parizska street on your way back to Intercontinental. Maybe stop to visit Klementinum with what many call the “most beautiful library in the world”

https://www.boredpanda.com/beautiful-library-prague-czech-clementinum/

Look into a private tour of the Jewish Quarter - even if you are not Jewish -due to its historical importance (some of the oldest synagogues and cemeteries in Europe).

For dinner (or lunch) I would choose a local restaurant - like one of the pubs - over international restaurants for better food at better prices. Concierge at the hotel can assist you.

For shopping or window shopping - especially for Bohemian crystal - walk along Celetna street from Old Town square to (and through) Powder Gate to Municipal house just past the tower.

Go inside to check interior and the beautiful Art Nouveau restaurant on ground floor or have a meal downstairs with local musicians at dinner.

Czechs & Prague are very musical - like Vienna - and if you are so inclined find a concert in one of the churches.

Enjoy Prague - a very special city.

Good Stuff,! We are getting very excited!

9 hours ago, Andee said:

We arrived in Prague on a Sunday to sightsee on our own; the included tour was on Wednesday.

On the way down, we visited St Nicholas Church and the Wallenstein Gardens. Loved them both.

I don't know what you mean about the only opportunity to walk across the Charles Bridge. It was just the time that worked best for us, given what we were doing the other days.

We especially enjoyed our meal at the beautiful Cafe Imperial.

Thanks vey much for the recommendations. We love Gardens and will definitely make a stop at the Wallenstein Gardens.

22 hours ago, RTLS said:

Thanks everyone. Lots of help.

Today we were notified that our hotel has changed from the Hilton to the Intercontinental. It actually looks like a more central location.

As we have one night on our own, any suggestions for dinner? Walking distance preferred.

Judy

You scored on that change. The Intercontinental is in a GREAT location. Right by the Jewish Quarter. There is a nice restaurant just to the left of the hotel that we enjoyed a lot. Not fancy, we were almost the only tourists there the evening we ate there but great local food and maybe 1/2 a block from the hotel as you walk out the main door it will be to the left. I have totally forgotten the name but it is the only restaurant on that block. I do not recommend dining at the hotel. Overpriced and mediocre at best. 

I would highly recommend spending some time in the Jewish Quarter. One museum ticket gets you into many historic buildings with excellent guide materials. We found it more interesting than the castle actually.  

• Like 1

I recommend La Veranda Restaurant, Elišky Krásnohorské 2 - see my review on Trip Advisor. I also second spending the afternoon in the Jewish synagogue museums and fascinating graveyard. We did the morning tour (Xmas market cruise) with Avalon which did not go inside the Cathedral, but we did take their included coach back to the hotel because I think it's further to walk back down than you think!

3 hours ago, Tarheeler said:

Thanks, too, for restaurant recommendations. 

Also, I would not bother drinking wine in Prague - drink their beer.

They consume more beer per capita than any other nation; it's cheaper than bottled water and they have some of the best beers in the world. Along those lines, I would stay with Czech cuisine - why go to Prague to have burgers, spaghetti, pizza or sushi?

When in Rome,,,,,,,,,🙂

I'm a wine lover; but I will most definitely try the Czech beer!  I'm also a foodie, so love to try regional specialties!  Any particular suggestions as to restaurants or foods to try in Prague?  We'll be staying at the Prague Hilton, Avalon's hotel for our cruise.  Hoping Hurricane Dorian doesn't delay our flight plans out next week!

Edited by Tarheeler

We just got back from Avalon's Central European Experience which started with 2 nights in Prague.  We stayed in the Hilton, which is really on the edge of the old town.

We did both the included and optional excursion.  The morning one started at the castle.  They do take you inside the church, which is beautiful.  Then they bus you to the old town and you see an overview on the walking tour.  You walk by the Jewish quarters and to the old town.  Then you have free time and can either take the bus back to the hotel or walk.  We chose to walk, and were glad we did because we saw so many beautiful buildings.  It is a short walk.

On the "Hidden treasures" tour, we walked along the river crossing the Charles Bridge and spending time in the lesser town.  The "lesser town" was interesting and historic.  We saw the Senate Gardens, which were beautiful.  Our guide has all sorts of interesting historic information to share.

Our plane was late so we got little time in Prague the first day.  We agree that if would have skipped the Hidden treasures tour and spent more time in the old town.  Honestly, there are so many interesting things that you could spend a week there.  We would have liked to take a tour of the Jewish quarters or spent more time in the castle complex.  The overview was great, but there is so much there.  I am not much of a shopper, but I would have loved to spend more time in the gorgeous crystal shop on the town square.  I would have loved to see Wenselslav square because that is where the protestors faced the Soviets in 1968.

If you are coming directly to Prague, there is an old church and the city museum that are very close to the Hilton.

There is a great Czech restaurant really close to the Hilton called Pivoarsky Klub. It is small, but their food is delicious, and they carry 200 different beers.  The tables are mostly long, where you sit with others.  If you go there, I recommend the venison goulash.

Just a warning about the Hilton.  They are doing construction between 10AM and 7 PM.  We wanted to relax in our room after arrival, but there was jackhammer noise and we literally could not hear each other speak.  The walls were shaking.  They would not give us a different room.  However, it was a beautiful room and the included breakfast was excellent.

I would certainly find out if any tour included the interior of St. Vitus Cathedral.  My husband and I were recently in Prague on our own and thought that cathedral was one of the most beautiful we have seen in many years of travel abroad.  Walking the Charles Bridge was fun but I later learned all those sculptures on the bridge are reproductions. Had we known that at the time, we would have made sure to visit the museum where the originals are kept.

On 8/28/2019 at 9:49 AM, RTLS said:

Interesting that one group went inside the cathedral and the other didn't.

Every cruise is a bit different.  Some originate in Prague and some terminate in Prague, so they could have different timings for their excursions.