Surf Internet Package - How did it work for you?

jasm8449

I just saw for the first time, a new internet package option called the Surf Internet Package.  Slower speed, surfing the net, texting, email, but no streaming. Not planning to stream, or Skype of Facetime, etc.  So this looks cost efficient especially with Elite + discount. I'm thinking about it for our upcoming Transatlantic.  Wondering how slow is slow especially on sea days in the middle of the Atlantic?

Thanks for bringing this up again.  I tried to get it going on another poster's thread, but no one's responded.

Anyone have any experience (now or recent past) with the Surf Internet Package??

Thanks,  (especially from us Canadians)!

I haven’t used this service on a trans-Atlantic, but I did use it on our trans-Pacific cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii this past spring. I thought that the service was good, and I was able to send photos, even though it says that won’t work. I’d much rather have this package than pay $$$$ for “more”. I don’t need streaming service on Vacation, just the ability to be in touch with family back home.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at the surf package also.  When I called to book with the discount, he said that is was only for the unlimited stream.  In the terms it say "on the first package purchased"    Were you able to get the discount when booking it?  

I’m using it as we speak while cruising to Bermuda

$90 for week with Elite discount.

No streaming, but WiFi calling works fine.

Surfing  is fine, uploading photos to Facebook etc. 

We had the Surf package on our Edge transatlantic in April. We purchased it for my wife and I just used the Elite+ minutes on my phone. Got a 35% Elite+ discount. Texting and emails worked fine the entire time. We didn't do any streaming and would not anyway with the surf. 

I just purchased a surf package for our transatlantic in two weeks on the Infinity also at 35% discount.

Keep in mind a lot also depends on how good the internet is onboard. On the Edge there is a router in every cabin so no issues. As each ship is Revolutionized the internet will be improved. We expect to be roaming around the Infinity in search of a strong signal if it doesn't work in our cabin.

13 hours ago, Wrunkles said:

I was looking at the surf package also.  When I called to book with the discount, he said that is was only for the unlimited stream.  In the terms it say "on the first package purchased"    Were you able to get the discount when booking it?  

I was told this on my first call so paid full price.  Then I saw others on here who did get the discount so I called back and got the discount with another call centre operator.  Try again - tell them others have had this discount on the surf package.

I used it on the Silhouette in the Caribbean it works OK, only you can't  see or post videos and WiFi Calls.

I book it with captains club discount onboard, also for our Hawaii cruise I pre-purchase with the Select Captains Club Discount, just call to CC

Edited by gerelmx

We had the usual package that was available before the "surfing" option was available on Equinox in July ( after refurb)and it was dreadful!  So I purchased the streaming for Silhoutte in Dec. Sounds like all of you with just the surfing had much better results than we did with the supposed "better" package. Now I wonder if we should try the surfing instead for the Feb. cruise. Is it possible to upgrade during the cruise, with Elite discount, if necessary?