How does dining work on MSC in Europe?

numberguy

We're taking our first cruise with MSC in the Adriatic in November (Venice, Bari, 4 stops in Greece, Kotor).  We have late dinner seating.  How does this work?  We're used to Freestyle Dining on NCL.  We've experienced fixed seating once on Royal Caribbean that didn't go all that well (table for six, two people never showed, two people who didn't speak much English and we don't speak Cantonese).

How does it work on MSC?  Do we have the same dining partners each night?  Is it  possible to get a table for two each night?  Just not sure  how they do it.  Any insight would be appreciated.

--Michael

I just finished this cruise on Magnifica. Early seating was 19:30; late seating was 22:00. The majority of passengers were Italian and French. I think this was likely a normal-feeling time for them.

We had a group of 5, so one table for us. I enjoyed the fixed time and have the same waiters every night. 

2 hours ago, Cruiser Bruiser said:

Early seating was 19:30; late seating was 22:00. The majority of passengers were Italian and French. I think this was likely a normal-feeling time for them.

10... whoa! I'm on Bellissima week after next and have requested late sitting and have done without issue on each previous cruise however 10 feels late even for me (was expecting 9pm) - are all the MSC ships different WRT dining times and times can change cruise-cruise?!

claire

Edited by claiream3
missed info

1 hour ago, claiream3 said:

10... whoa! I'm on Bellissima week after next and have requested late sitting and have done without issue on each previous cruise however 10 feels late even for me (was expecting 9pm) - are all the MSC ships different WRT dining times and times can change cruise-cruise?!

claire

I would guess that the time varies based on itinerary and passenger mix. I was thinking first seating was 18:30. A friend confirmed the later time and was told that the later times were used on shorter cruises, in our case seven nights. 

Thought I would ask here rather than starting a new thread about dining.  There are six of us, all new to MSC, who will be cruising the Western Mediterranean on the Poesia October 24. We requested first seating.  Our booking information shows that request but says dining sitting is subject to confirmation once on board.  My question is, who does the confirming?  Guest services or someone in the MDR?

1 hour ago, mimmy52 said:

Thought I would ask here rather than starting a new thread about dining.  There are six of us, all new to MSC, who will be cruising the Western Mediterranean on the Poesia October 24. We requested first seating.  Our booking information shows that request but says dining sitting is subject to confirmation once on board.  My question is, who does the confirming?  Guest services or someone in the MDR?

It will be printed on your room key card, with your table number and restaurant name.

• Like 1

Just got back from a week on MSC Seaview. Dining times were 6.20pm-8.20 and 10.20pm.

the most popular and fully booked was 8.20pm. Times and restaurant were printed on your cruise card when you check in. It’s hard to change times but be persistent 

14 hours ago, mj9 said:

Just got back from a week on MSC Seaview. Dining times were 6.20pm-8.20 and 10.20pm.

the most popular and fully booked was 8.20pm. Times and restaurant were printed on your cruise card when you check in. It’s hard to change times but be persistent 

We've just booked for MSC Preziosa for Europe in  2020.  

Have cruised many times on Celebrity with open dining as we like the flexibility dependant on our day time plans.  I am assuming the MSC dining is similar to the fixed dining options on other cruise lines.

- how are larger parties allocated to tables? - we are group of 17 in total.

- who do you liaise with to change the times allocated if they dont suit - we have children ranging from 4 to 17 in our group?

- what happens if you arrive at a later time - are you turned away?

- if you wanted to eat earlier/ later the next day - can you request this with the Maitre d' when you are dining?

29 minutes ago, chuchycruise said:

We've just booked for MSC Preziosa for Europe in  2020.  

Have cruised many times on Celebrity with open dining as we like the flexibility dependant on our day time plans.  I am assuming the MSC dining is similar to the fixed dining options on other cruise lines.

- how are larger parties allocated to tables? - we are group of 17 in total. - If your bookings are linked you'll be allocated tables together, 2 or 3 given your party size.

- who do you liaise with to change the times allocated if they dont suit - we have children ranging from 4 to 17 in our group? - You can try asking the Maitre'd when you board. If you are Fantastica experience you'll have priority for changes over Bella.

- what happens if you arrive at a later time - are you turned away? - The MDR doors are closed approx 15mins after seating time and you're not permitted in, as far as I've ever seen.

- if you wanted to eat earlier/ later the next day - can you request this with the Maitre d' when you are dining? - Your assigned time will be for every evening, you can't change it for different evenings. If you wish to dine at a different time your options would be the buffet or specialty restaurant.

On Preziosa there'll be 2 MDR dining times, an early and a late. The exact times will be individual to your sailing.