Port or Starboard Help

benzygirl

It really depends upon you.  We look at itineraries and determine which side gets the morning sun and which gets the evening sun.  I know that this is not your question but the side where the sun sets can be extremely warm in the afternoon and makes sitting on the balcony uncomfortable.  In terms of viewing, most of us watch from the Observation Lounge which gives views of everything (both sides of the ship).  

6 hours ago, benzygirl said:

Which will be the better side on this cruise?

https://www.rssc.com/cruises/SPL200924/summary

IMO for most cruises, and certainly for your specific cruise, the side of the ship you choose will have little or no impact on your enjoyment.

• On the one sea day the ship will be travelling almost due east. Balconies on the starboard side will see the sun; those on the port side will be in shade all day
  • When docked, the ship could be tied up either way around so it is a 50:50 chance whether you will be dockside or seaside
  • When at anchor (4 ports) the ship will swing on the anchor and its direction will depend on wind and currents
  • When entering and leaving port, many like to be up on the open decks to watch arrival or departure if the weather is good. Assuming Splendor is the same as Explorer then unfortunately there will be no forward facing open deck; but the views from each side will be reasonable.

Hope you have an enjoyable cruise on the new ship. Late September weather for your itinerary should be very pleasant 😎

For a TA, we like the old English saying- - POSH. Port out - Starboard home. Several years ago, we booked the opposite because it was all that was available. The suite was darker than POSH. I like a bright feeling. So that’s the rule we follow for a TA. 

When a ship travels in several directions,, it really does not matter. 

Sheila

2 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

For a TA, we like the old English saying- - POSH. Port out - Starboard home. Several years ago, we booked the opposite because it was all that was available. The suite was darker than POSH. I like a bright feeling. So that’s the rule we follow for a TA. 

When a ship travels in several directions,, it really does not matter.

And since a Trans-Atlantic can be in either direction.....I guess your "POSH" depends on where you start.

Other than that....

21 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

And since a Trans-Atlantic can be in either direction.....I guess your "POSH" depends on where you start.

................. and whether you want a sunny or shaded outlook to your suite & balcony.

The popular, but probably mythical, historical derivation is that POSH indicated "Port Out, Starboard Home", for those travelling from Britain to India and back in order to occupy the cooler, north-facing cabins in both directions.

If I read it correctly I think @Bellaggio Cruisers favoured the sunny, south-facing side ............. but of course nowadays we are blessed with A/C 😁

It seems that many people do not care for air conditioning (we are not amongst them) and on some Regent ships it gets so warm when the sun is setting that even air conditioning doesn’t help (even with the blinds closed).  Transatlantic are the easiest to pick sides since you are generally going one direction.

This morning (in Alaska), it seemed that everything was on the port side (and I was on the balcony on the starboard side).  At one point, as is commonly done in Alaska, the ship did a circle and then went back and then everything was on the starboard side.  

Keep in mind that one can always go to the Observation Lounge and see everything (except on Navigator where you go to the aft Lounge since there is no forward lounge).  

6 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Other than that....

I meant a Transatlantic cruise from east to west. I always thought POSH was a British expression, in the early1900’s, referring to crossing the Atlantic to the U.S.  

1 hour ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

I meant a Transatlantic cruise from east to west. I always thought POSH was a British expression, in the early1900’s, referring to crossing the Atlantic to the U.S.  

The legend is that it was to India, which was under British control.