Possible interest in Caribbean from the Northeast?

boscobeans

41 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Even better is when they pass you and zoom away, and a mile later you see them pulled over by a cop!

Once, on a two lane highway that was very stop n' go, an idiot drove on the berm to pass the congestion.  He had a surprise awaiting him/her.  A Highway Patrol officer was in the congested traffic and he/she pulled over the impatient driver.  I wonder what the fine might be for such an infraction?

NCL and Royal often have difficulty filling the 3 ships based from NYC in the dead of winter.  HAL/Princess/Celebrity have all decided not to base ships there as they feel they can more profitably fill ships sailing from Florida.  Simple as that.  If they felt they could command a fare premium and fill a ship they would sail from NYC in the winter.  They don't so they wont .......

One of the problems for cruises from North of Florida is the seas around Cape Hatteras.  HAL tried a ship, maybe Maasdam?, out of Norfolk for awhile.  The ship would often arrive late, thus sailing late, because of the need to slow down to provide a "better" ride for the guests on board.

Such sea conditions/ride are OK with me.  For many others, not so much.  It's understandable, if not regrettable, that more ships choose not to sail from these North of Florida ports.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, boscobeans said:

We have never been stopped from getting to a cruise by car because of a snow storm. 

We may have had to leave and hour or two earlier but it is rare that roads in this area are shut down for longer than a few hours. I have lived here  for 70 + years.

Do you have any idea of how many people live within a 3-4 hour drive of either Cape Liberty or the NYC cruise terminal?

Draw a circle on a map with NYC in the center that goes out for 150-175 miles. Maybe 50 million or so?

NY'

NJ

CT

MA

RI

Parts of 

PA

NH

VT

MD

DE

That's a lot more people than those within 175 miles of Fort Lauderdale.

I suppose that if it were economically viable, the cruise line would do it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kevingastreich said:

I suppose that if it were economically viable, the cruise line would do it.

True. I am sure that the added days at sea are a big turn off to many people looking for the more port intensive cruises of shorter duration.

I have to fly no matter where the cruise is.  And snow storms do interfere with flights.  

As nice as a sailing sounds from New York, ‘Nor Easters are no fun and the likelihood of smooth seas is much less at that time of the year.

If I am going to chance the weather, I’d just as soon land where it’s warm and I can dump the cold weather clothes and enjoy some sunshine and warmth 🙂 

5 hours ago, kazu said:

I have to fly no matter where the cruise is.  And snow storms do interfere with flights.  

As nice as a sailing sounds from New York, ‘Nor Easters are no fun and the likelihood of smooth seas is much less at that time of the year.

If I am going to chance the weather, I’d just as soon land where it’s warm and I can dump the cold weather clothes and enjoy some sunshine and warmth 🙂 

I agree with your position.  If I had to fly to a port for a winter cruise, it would most certainly be a warm weather port. I also understand the position of the OP. 

We live 90 minutes from the NYC ports, so we can choose to whether to fly or to use part of the airfare for two additional sea days, fully knowing that the first and last sea day will be indoor days.  

In the end, the cruise line make decisions based on the marketplace.  If another winter time cruise ship out of the Northeast would make enough money, more cruise lines will do it.  More options would be good for us, but not for those who have to fly to any cruise port.