Tongue in cheek Freedom review

It's a little late. I'm not interested in arguments, debates and/or nastiness in response to the following. Which is of MY opinion. 

Sailed August 25th from San Juan. Had wonderful weather and we were very lucky. This was our third time on this old lady. 

Yes, she is in need of the upcoming dry dock for certain. I'm not a picky petunia so although it didn't bother me, I definitely noticed LOTS of things. Should I mention them all? What purpose would that serve though? To potentially deter future passengers? Nah....I'm not going there. If she wasn't heading for dry dock I may feel differently. So if you're expecting the freshest of new ships (until after her refresh) then maybe wait. 

Entertainment was really very good. Skipped the ice show because we feel it's the same stuff just different stories. The two main shows were excellent and there was a good deal of movement on the ship but you'd never know it. Dancers and singers all on point. 

MDR food. I. Not. A. Foodie. I guess that says enough? Food was good. Desserts were either awesome or meh. Service, however, was EXCELLENT. We did feel a little rushed but we were taken care of in every detail. Our favorite foods and drinks remembered each night. Our teenage daughter got special attention and a "doggie bag/plate" with her favorite goodie every night. I will add names later because they slip my old lady brain at the moment. 

Windjammer....oh dear. Ok, buffet....oh dear. Personally it is everything you'd expect from a buffet. Not much else to say. Food is fine. You can find something to eat. The people acted (not all obviously) like complete swine. How? Let's say that there were fingers in some foods when tongs were needed. How about taking a bun with your hand, squeezing to see if it is fresh, deciding it isn't and putting it back?! Or coughing in your hand and then taking a serving piece in said hand to serve yourself?! The mountains of food on some plates put me off more than once. The attendants clear plates, offer water etc and are very good. I heard some passengers being so rude. Say thank you, please and be kind! Period. 

We ate at the Italian restaurant once and it was only because our TA paid....lol. It was delicious and the service was WAY above. My husband asked to have very slow pacing so we could enjoy each other's company. It was amazing. 

Some things I noticed were complaints about the paper straws which have replaced the turtle killing plastic type....it's a joke, get over yourself. Anywayyyyy....the straw definitely doesn't work well after a few sips. I do have a solution though. Screw the straw and suck it back baby. Or bring your own damn straw and stop complaining. Save the turtles. 🙂

Drink package was worth it. Period. Love that you don't have to sign anymore and feel strange about leaving or not leaving an additional tip on top of the obligatory included tip. Now the server apparently gets a tip or something with each drink served. 

We cruise because we took our first one 12 years ago and haven't vacationed on dry land since. I love the water, the balcony, the shows and stuffing myself with pizza at Sorrento's. By the way, it's thin crust now and it's delish!! 

I also love to dance and found the music very much catered for the crowd which was primarily from San Juan or nearby. Lots of Latin music and upbeat tempos. Was fun but after the second day I was really looking for more variety. Previously we've loved more Caribbean vibe. Can't get enough Bob Marley IMO. 

My thumbs are tired and fat so I'll leave it there. Ask away if you have questions. But let me say that I do NOT have copies of menus, compasses or stuff like that. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I must admit that the “tongue in cheek” part was intriguing and I probably wouldn’t have opened this post otherwise. It seems like a a very honest, condensed review that covered what was important to you. If I were thinking about  a cruise on this ship I would consider your review helpful. Hopefully there will be no critical responses.

I enjoyed your review very much.  Even when we were on Freedom, recently out of dry dock at the time, there were some things that probably should have been done, that weren’t (worn out/stained carpeting, broken tile, etc).  While I didn’t witness the same behavior at the buffet that you did, I can certainly believe that it does happen,  as I had seen that type of behavior on Carnival.  Thanks for your opinions and observations.  

14 hours ago, CruisingMomma88 said:

Windjammer....oh dear. Ok, buffet....oh dear. Personally it is everything you'd expect from a buffet. Not much else to say. Food is fine. You can find something to eat. The people acted (not all obviously) like complete swine. How? Let's say that there were fingers in some foods when tongs were needed. How about taking a bun with your hand, squeezing to see if it is fresh, deciding it isn't and putting it back?! Or coughing in your hand and then taking a serving piece in said hand to serve yourself?! The mountains of food on some plates put me off more than once. The attendants clear plates, offer water etc and are very good. I heard some passengers being so rude. Say thank you, please and be kind! Period. 

Every buffet is the same, unfo.  There should be two entrances and sides should be separated - one side for "rude idiots" and one side for "relaxed & courteous individuals"! BTW - In ref to your comment about bun grabbing, was that at the buffet or bar!😁

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mitz18 said:

Every buffet is the same, unfo.  There should be two entrances and sides should be separated - one side for "rude idiots" and one side for "relaxed & courteous individuals"! BTW - In ref to your comment about bun grabbing, was that at the buffet or bar!😁

Hahahahah that made me chuckle. Yes, I've seen this type of gross behavior at most buffet/bulk food places. 

Forgot to add that there was one thing that really irked us. Every single day there were multiple people walking around PUSHING the paid restaurants, spa and drink package. Literally felt like we were being accosted. We were eating in the MDR and they came around to push the other restaurants! Oh, my favourite was when our MDR attendant/server asked if we had been for the tour and proceeded to try and sell us. But he quickly realized that we weren't interested. He said later that he needs to do his job and make sure. I get it but holy cow it was annoying. 

Forgot to add that there was one thing that really irked us. Every single day there were multiple people walking around PUSHING the paid restaurants, spa and drink package. Literally felt like we were being accosted. We were eating in the MDR and they came around to push the other restaurants! Oh, my favourite was when our MDR attendant/server asked if we had been for the tour and proceeded to try and sell us. But he quickly realized that we weren't interested. He said later that he needs to do his job and make sure. I get it but holy cow it was annoying. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CruisingMomma88 said:

Forgot to add that there was one thing that really irked us. Every single day there were multiple people walking around PUSHING the paid restaurants, spa and drink package. Literally felt like we were being accosted. We were eating in the MDR and they came around to push the other restaurants! Oh, my favourite was when our MDR attendant/server asked if we had been for the tour and proceeded to try and sell us. But he quickly realized that we weren't interested. He said later that he needs to do his job and make sure. I get it but holy cow it was annoying. 

Same thing happens to us.  I tell them that if it happens again in the MDR, I'm giving them a low score on the survey.

• Like 2

Your comment about the buffet is exactly why we bring small hand sanitizers with us into the buffet and apply it after going up to the buffet after we're seated, prior to touching our silverware.  We reapply if we go up to the buffet again.

Even if everyone sanitizes or washes before coming in, who knows how many have wiped their noses, coughed in their hand, sneezed in their hand,and then touched tongs, food etc...   We're NOT germophobes, but I don't want to get sick on my cruise if I can help it.  We spent to much $$$ on the vacation and have been super excited far too long to have it ruined by that.

Dan

We sailed on 9/1.   

The lido buffet was ALWAYS too crowded and the food was mediocre at best (save breakfast).  The deserts totally blew even in the MDR.

With so many port days, lunch was over (3pm) when we returned to the ship so we grabbed a bite in the Cafe Promenade and the sandwiches were luke warm and the wraps were wet on the bottom. Soggy wet - gross wet.  The pizza - yuck.

We didn't eat in the Specialty restaurants (buy the package if you expect a decent meal).  I'm sure a lot of people are dissatisfied leaving the buffet which is why they are right at the exit pandering their packages.  Same with MDR.

We sailed on Carnival Fascination this past April and September 2018.  Maybe it's the size of the ship that causes the crowding issues on Freedom, but Carnival's buffet, pizza, and sandwiches are significantly better than Royal's.  The MDR as well.  Celebrity's is by far the best.

I'm not a fan of the "I need to get $#!+ faced drunk to break even" drink packages on any of the ships. I'm not sure what happens to people's mentalities... It was especially notable on this cruise.  I'm not sure how these cruiser's kids don't end up in the sea with the lack of supervision and horse play.  The ice cream machine is on the pool deck so constantly a line and constantly needed refilling or serviced.

HOWEVER... the "wash your hands" singer at the Windjammer... soooooo cute! Wash your hands... Wash your hands... 

ETA- I had a lady at breakfast literally say "don't mind me" as she reached over me to grab a hash-brown at breakfast with her hand.  Tongs... Hello.

The cabin was fine - nice to have a little fridge.  The room steward was fine.  I wasn't a fan of the towel scan system either.  JS... 🙂

Edited by crbnlvr