New Princess Cruise Card.

Russell21

Any truth in the following?

Just read on Facebook, for what it's worth, that on the Ruby Princess they have a new type of cruise card in use before the medallion is introduced early next year. Apparently there is no holes punched in the card and you can't punch a hole in them so you need a lanyard with the clear plastic pouch, of which there are NONE for sale on board.

Pax will demand obc compo for not having a hole in their cruise card.🤣  I will have to drag ye olde cruise card plastic pouch out, circa 2002.😮

Thanks for the advice.

Edited by NSWP

Sounds same as RCL on their newer ships, for similar reasons.

There is a way around punching a hole, so RCL now do that for Aust cruises... guessing Princess will do the same. Am sure the shops will have the plastic holders on local cruises as well - they adjust to local market conditions.

20 hours ago, NSWP said:

Pax will demand obc compo for not having a hole in their cruise card.🤣  I will have to drag ye olde cruise card plastic pouch out, circa 2002.😮

Thanks for the advice.

A hole equals a dead card apparently the Ruby is wired for the new Medallion system and the card works the same. Punching a hole wrecks the circuit in the card.

17 hours ago, sewgood said:

On the Majestic, Passenger Services gave out free plastic sleeves for the cards.

I thought the new card was great as my kindle case couldn't ruin the card.

No 15% gratuity on the 'free plastic holder?   The bean counters at Princess must be ill.

While we are on the subject of plastic cruise card holders I purchased what I thought was a tough plastic transparent holder for my cruise on the RCL Explorer of the seas. So there I am outside my cabin door with my lanyard and new holder and do you think I could get that card out ? (no way ),it was as if it was welded inside. Much to the amusement of others passing by I ended up ripping the thing to bits so I could slot my card into the card reader on the door. Ended up getting a hole punched in the card for my lanyard.☹️

I also have some of these fuel card holders which will avoid the issue of the plastic sticking to the card.  They have a opening that you can insert your thumb to slide the card out.

resize?size=300&auth=MjA5OTcwODkwMg__

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/j-burrows-fuel-card-holder-2-pack-jbfuelcrd2

Edited by banzaii

Things are changing and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

The thing about the new system is that the ships management will be able to track and pinpoint your every move around the ship. The company will now get a profile of what bars you use, where you eat, what shows you go to and what areas of the ship you are in at any time of the day. It wouldn't surprise me if there was in instant notification to security the first time anyone went overboard with any of these things the moment the ships wi-fi network no longer detects your signal on board.

It would not surprise me at all if you have a favourite bar on the ship you go to to have drinks at and the company profiles you and before you know it a alarm goes off at the bar when it detects your signal to alert the waiters of your imminent arrival to have drinks ready.

You're right, tracking so they can sell you more is a big part. Also helps with them tracking flow and peak areas so they can make better estimates of what's popular... to see what things can be closed/removed with fewer complaints, and what areas they can boost profits by upselling because of high demand.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Many bartenders and the bar waiters already do have our orders on the go as soon as we arrive (after a few days of the cruise). I am not sure if that makes us predictable or they are just really good at service.

They amaze me at times.

the one that really shocked me was when Mrs G ordered a coffee on Emerald Princess on the first day of our cruise and a voice from the back called out “and give her a large Diet Coke, plenty of Ice no straw, for her husband”.  He had been a bartender on Diamond about 14 months earlier.

• Like 1