Island Princess: walking outside

SetAnOpenCourse

What is it like getting from one side of the promenade to the other side, aft, if one does laps on the promenade?  Has anyone walked for an hour, which could mean passing inside a dozen times?

I’ve only cruises on ships that let one walk the full lap outside.  I may be able to tolerate the lack thereof for a short cruise, but hearing exactly what this is like on Island would be a big help.

You will run into a block at the rear portion of the promenade and have to either turn around or go through the ship to the other side. There is no way to go all the way around as the aft portion of the ship is now cabins.

24 minutes ago, Thrak said:

You will run into a block at the rear portion of the promenade and have to either turn around or go through the ship to the other side. There is no way to go all the way around as the aft portion of the ship is now cabins.

Is it pretty common for folks just to turn around and go the other way? I realize it's annoying when folks are walking in both directions, but what else can they do?

I found the Island very walker friendly. The promenade deck's cut through at the aft end is an elevator/stairwell lobby, easy enough to traverse. I tended to prefer "horseshoe" laps however. I also found the Lido and Sun decks to be relatively uncrowded and pleasant to walk in fair weather. I don't see it as a issue for long cruises and hour long promenades, certainly better than on the Regal/Royal class ships. I'll be doing a 97 day test in Jan '21 and might change my mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, walkingsoon said:

I found the Island very walker friendly. The promenade deck's cut through at the aft end is an elevator/stairwell lobby, easy enough to traverse. I tended to prefer "horseshoe" laps however. I also found the Lido and Sun decks to be relatively uncrowded and pleasant to walk in fair weather. I don't see it as a issue for long cruises and hour long promenades, certainly better than on the Regal/Royal class ships. I'll be doing a 97 day test in Jan '21 and might change my mind.

I agree. No problem at all to cross through at the aft end of the promenade.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, walkingsoon said:

Thank you.  That’s the sort of answer I need, and it sounds like you also go for long walks.

I forgot to also ask this:

What are the lounge chairs like currently, and are there enough of them?  Ideally they’d be the long wooden kind with cushions.  

Island Princess Outside Promenade picture

Hiya Set,

Regarding the chairs, I don't have exact memories from my trip in April of this year. I copied the above photo from this fine website: https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/shiptour.php?r=7458.

I can echo Geoherb's observation that the promenade deck always seemed uncrowded and open and wide.

Overall, I liked the Island. It compares quite well, imo, to the larger ship classes. Of course, if you search cruise critic enough, you'll certainly find some harsh opposing opinions.

• Like 1

The "new" fitness center is in an enclosed room, not open looking out to the outside.Part of the redo. About 12 treadmills and 8 elliptical. The last time i was on, you could always find a treadmill or elliptical. Folks don't like the lack of windows.

Edited by Yehootu