Unacceptably slow internet on the Crown Princess

geoherb

5 hours ago, geoherb said:

I spoke to the internet manager this morning. He's given us a credit against the total we paid for the days that the internet was not working well. I'm happy.

Happy for you!  My result from the guy was a shrug of his shoulders.  I will definitely relay my feelings on my survey!  I thought I was purchasing a superior product and got squat!  

Luckily, we didn’t take this cruise to surf the internet all day!  It’s been a great cruise to ports we have not visited before and the crew has been outstanding!  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MustangGT said:

Luckily, we didn’t take this cruise to surf the internet all day!  It’s been a great cruise to ports we have not visited before and the crew has been outstanding!  

Good for you. Reading this thread one would get the idea that the reason people cruise is to surf the internet.

Take a real vacation! (not meant for you

Edited by ontheweb
last thing added
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2019 at 3:22 PM, MustangGT said:

I agree with my Crown shipmates!  We are on for 28 days and I bought the unlimited for the voyage. My husband is making do with his free minutes. I was happy on the first 12-day voyage- fast connections, able to FaceTime, etc. This second portion has been horrible. I give up on loading Facebook, Instagram and more. 

The Navigators at Ocean Front are unfairly taking the brunt of the complaints but are maintaining a positive attitude. Latest word is that the system will be “upgraded “ and tomorrow it should be lightning fast. Fingers crossed!!

After reading Geoherbs post I went to Internet café yesterday afternoon and after a 2 or 3 minute  friendly enough conversation with the manager he has promised to give me a 50% refund of what we paid for the 4 device 25 days package after  initially trying to blame my laptop settings. Haven't checked my shipboard account yet, I did find it once on my Ocean app but it seems well hidden now, not obvious to me anyway so its a trip downstairs to check my account

Yesterday evening around 6.30pm all our devices ceased getting internet, it didn't work again in our cabin until nearly midnight, we now seem to have our service routed via Miami rather than Luxemburg and it does seem a lot better.

I noticed the down period last night. Actually one of our tablemates told us about it at dinner when he was trying to check on something on his phone. It was bad timing for me since I was hoping to get the score of our college football team after dinner and then watch our hockey game. I went to bed without being able to do either. I called Passenger Services to confirm that the internet was totally down, and the woman who answered let me know it was. She said they were working on getting it back up, but she did not know when. I'm glad it's back this morning, even with the limited speed for downloads. I've never seen such a disparity between the download speed and upload speed before.

Internet Speedtest 10-6-19 6 a.m.jpg

On 10/6/2019 at 6:16 AM, geoherb said:

I noticed the down period last night. Actually one of our tablemates told us about it at dinner when he was trying to check on something on his phone. It was bad timing for me since I was hoping to get the score of our college football team after dinner and then watch our hockey game. I went to bed without being able to do either. I called Passenger Services to confirm that the internet was totally down, and the woman who answered let me know it was. She said they were working on getting it back up, but she did not know when. I'm glad it's back this morning, even with the limited speed for downloads. I've never seen such a disparity between the download speed and upload speed before.

Internet Speedtest 10-6-19 6 a.m.jpg

I had a polite conversation with the Internet manager after you shared your experience.  When we checked our final bill, he had credited us with the days I complained about.  I'm satisfied with the outcome.  It did leave us with some unused OBC. We ordered several Americanos at breakfast.  😁

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, teachkeegan said:

I had a polite conversation with the Internet manager after you shared your experience.  When we checked our final bill, he had credited us with the days I complained about.  I'm satisfied with the outcome.  It did leave us with some unused OBC. We ordered several Americanos at breakfast.  😁

I could have met you at breakfast. I had several punches remaining on my coffee package. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, geoherb said:

I could have met you at breakfast. I had several punches remaining on my coffee package. 

10 hours ago, geoherb said:

Man, I should be your best buddy,  because a coffee punch is golden!

On 9/30/2019 at 9:43 AM, geoherb said:

Unacceptably slow internet on the Crown Princess

Sorry, but there is no such thing as "unacceptably slow internet" on a cruise ship. If the HAVE to HAVE Internet access while on a vacation, don't do a cruise vacation.

I get being upset if you buy it and the speed isn't what is promised, but I'd read carefully as to what is actually promised.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

Sorry, but there is no such thing as "unacceptably slow internet" on a cruise ship. If the HAVE to HAVE Internet access while on a vacation, don't do a cruise vacation.

I get being upset if you buy it and the speed isn't what is promised, but I'd read carefully as to what is actually promised.

Then you have not experienced a properly working MedallionNet ships internet.

What is promised is

The Best Wi-Fi at Sea

Fast. Reliable. Unlimited. Affordable. Stay connected while you unplug and unwind.

5 hours ago, caribill said:

What is promised is The Best Wi-Fi at Sea Fast. Reliable. Unlimited. Affordable. Stay connected while you unplug and unwind.

No, that is the marketing slogan, I mean the actual throughput and bandwidth that is contracted for. The proverbial "fine print".

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Yes, there is such a thing as unacceptably slow internet on a cruise ship. Fortunately for us, having reliably fast internet was not a necessity. We were able to read emails and post here on Cruise Critic. But we could not do the things Princess promised we could do such as Facetime or stream videos. 

19 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I would agree with you in 2009

Not in 2019. 

Andrew

1 minute ago, arowe6 said:

I would agree with you in 2009. Not in 2019.

I remember a time when luxury resorts like Little Dix Bay didn't put phones or TVs in their rooms as a courtesy to their guests.

1 minute ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Have you even cruised on a Medallion ship?

Yes. Coral Princess.

Yet you insist on missing the point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

I remember a time when luxury resorts like Little Dix Bay didn't put phones or TVs in their rooms as a courtesy to their guests.

I remember when Microwaves weighed 300 pounds and were the size of refrigerators. Yet here we are in 2019. Times and technology continue to advance. A cruise vacation isn’t exempt. 

Andrew

19 minutes ago, arowe6 said:

I remember when Microwaves weighed 300 pounds and were the size of refrigerators. Yet here we are in 2019. Times and technology continue to advance. A cruise vacation isn’t exempt.

You seem to be willfully missing the point. Little Dix Bay didn't not put phones or TVs in the rooms because they were not technologically capable of doing so, but out of a refined sense of what a vacation should be.

I would rather be on a ship full of six pack a day smokers than the (expletive deleted) technology users I want to get away from on a vacation.

27 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

You seem to be willfully missing the point. Little Dix Bay didn't not put phones or TVs in the rooms because they were not technologically capable of doing so, but out of a refined sense of what a vacation should be.

I would rather be on a ship full of six pack a day smokers than the (expletive deleted) technology users I want to get away from on a vacation.

Based on a few recent posts in this thread, it appears a couple of us are “missing the point.”

Plot twist — I’m writing this from 30,000 feet above the Atlantic on my way to a different continent. Imagine, just a few short years ago, I’d have to wait until both my feet were firmly planted on dry land before learning what a “refined sense of what a vacation should be.” 

I respect your point. I don’t agree with it. 

Andrew

If you need to do Facetime and stream videos, maybe cruising is the wrong choice.

I don't have to do these, but Princess promises it's internet is fast enough to do them. My biggest complaint was that the internet was so slow that it was impossible to download my hometown newspaper. A speed of 0.24 Mbps made it impossible. The page timed out. And apparently the internet manager agreed that the internet was unacceptably slow since he gave me credit against what we paid.

• Haha 1