Stone Island Mazatlan Tour

DizNaddy

1 hour ago, seemoreroyals said:

We are going to be there next month and are going to give Stone Island a whirl.  We are suckers for all the cheap stuff the beach vendors sell as well.  There are some decent bargains to be had.  Which of the restaurants would be the best to hang out at?  I have heard good things about Lety's.  Any suggestions?

I can't remember which restaurant bar we were at, we drank beer and had guacamole chips and salsa, it was the liveliest place along the row, everybody was having a good time.

We love Letys for a number of reasons...good food ( mango salsa, shrimp kebabs ..) drinks and really nice people working there. We were there in September the day after a bad storm. The tide was high and they were still in the process of cleaning up after the storm . They were still very accommodating , making sure they saved us a lounge chair and umbrella for when the tide went down. When we were getting ready to leave, he told us that because they had no electricity from the storm they couldn't run a charge card. We had bought e few things from vendors and barely had enough money to pay the bill in cash...and not enough for a tip. He told us don't worry about it....pay next time we came back to Mazatlan...which we will be sure to do when we go again in January!

• Like 2

On 10/14/2019 at 1:41 PM, snowdogsmm said:

We just did Stone Island in August and it is very easy to do on your own.  We took the water taxi and walked down the beach to Lety's.  They set us up with 3 lounge chairs and two umbrellas.  Chairs and umbrellas are complimentary with the purchase of cocktails/beers and/or food.  We did a week long land vacation and our day on Stone Island was one of our favorites.  The beaches are very swim-able and the food was fantastic.  We even rented a boogie board through Lety's for my son.  Yes you can arrange ATV's, banana boat rides and pony rides on the beach as well.  I know someone who did an arranged tour and they felt they didn't have enough beach time.  Just really depends on what you are looking to do for the day but I can't recommend Lety's high enough.  Can't wait to go back in June.  Happy to answer any  other questions you may have.

We will be first timers and thank you for all the info.  Going to do this on our own!

• Like 1

Last week, there were two "bands" playing at one of the bar/restaurants on Stone Island, making a horrendous racket.  I don't know if this is an extortion scheme -- pay us and we will go away and stop making your customers miserable -- or what, but it will ruin Stone Island for me if it keeps going on.  Loud, discordant, miserable!

5 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Last week, there were two "bands" playing at one of the bar/restaurants on Stone Island, making a horrendous racket.  I don't know if this is an extortion scheme -- pay us and we will go away and stop making your customers miserable -- or what, but it will ruin Stone Island for me if it keeps going on.  Loud, discordant, miserable!

That's not good, and hope it doesn't continue. The peace and quiet, tranquil vibe of SI is a big part of the whole experience for us.

• 1 month later...
On 10/20/2019 at 9:11 AM, sprinkles said:

Just got off our cruise last Sunday.  I always do Stone Island on our own.  We had a lot of new cruisers on our sailing and only two people were brave enough to join us (and had the time of their life).  First of all, honestly if you know your left from your right and can walk briskly for 10 minutes on a flat surface, you can find the ferry easily.  

Get off ship and take the shuttle through container area to the shops where many people are drinking and shopping.  Just keep walking through, ignore everyone offering you tours, taxis.  Anyone telling you, that it is too far to walk.

Get outside of the gate, you will see a block curving wall to your LEFT, just follow it (there will still be taxis asking you where you are going, just ignore them).  Honestly 10 minute walk by the wall.  It dead ends at a street, look up and you will see a sign (not new and neon, old paint that says stone island ferry).

Cross the street and walk down the uneven dirt road (you will start to see water. ). Pass the free roaming chickens .  You will see a small salmon colored shack (probably with some people just hanging around drinking). Go up to window, wait patiently for woman to end her phone call.  Pay $2 us pp for your round trip ticket (friend has pesos and I believe she paid 90 pesos).  Get your tiny tickets, walk to the right of shack and down the gangway to small dock at bottom.  When a boat pulls up, get in it. Expect to do it on your own (no one will be standing there trying to help you like on the ship tenders).

Short ride across water.  When you get out walk up short hill.  You can walk the beach which is long.  About halfway down you will see busier restaurants (tours go there)

OR you can jump in the back of a waiting truck (bed converted with benches and covered ) ask how much to Letys (should be $1 apiece).  There were other people in our truck who got out at the first stop (bear in mind that they are driving on a dirt road behind the restaurants you can,t see the beach during the ride).  We started to get out and our driver thankfully said no (as this was the stop in the middle of the beach).  When he stopped next time it was for us.  Directly between Lety,s and Carmelitas (which is actually where I always go. 

Ruben at Carmelitas is awesome and can set up massages (1 hour $30 us, hubby did this). (Atv 30 min for $20 friend and I did it).  Basically whatever you want ask them (I’m sure letys does the same.   Buckets of beer $1 apiece, awesome food.  Shad, sun loungers whatever.  I think we spent $200 (with generous tips) for all the above plus a bannaba boat ride steak nachos , shrimp tacos etc.

of note here, when the truck driver dropped us off , we told him to pick us back up at 5:30 pm (all aboard was 6:30 pm).  He was there early and Ruben knew what time we had to leave.  We walked onto the ship at 6:03 pm.

If you didn’t get or appreciate my humor, then you probably need to take an excursion.  If you “get it” then go on your own,  either way you will have a great time.  Question is how adventurous are you and how much do you want for your money.  Two ship friends who didn’t want to wait for us (as we waited for all who were invited ). Left on their own and then paid $30 apiece for a tour at the dock).

Hope this is helpful.  I found my way the first time years ago with detailed instructions from  CC.  We had such a great time and enjoying retirement we are doing it again in two weeks ,  Happy sailing everybody.

We kept on walking and hiked to the lighthouse.

Lighthouse on Stone Island?

hum, just to follow up to my above post.  After the cruise in October we decided to go back again and do a back to back.  Did the exact same thing both times.  The first week we had 18 cruisers we met follow DH and I .  It was a riot, we had to split up, to “lead” the groups.  We all made it in one piece.  DH led a group that included several handicapped.  One with a walker.  They rented a taxi for $4 , that took them to the ferry shack.  They made it to Carmelitas where we had several able bodied people who helped him get out to the beach and even into the water later.   A couple of ship workers even met up with us (then came back the next week again).

Everyone had a blast.  The second week we had 4 couples go with us.

a side recommendation to anyone going mid November thru ?  The last week we went, the water seemed different and there was a definite need for water shoes as there were nasty spiky shells on the beach.  Happy sailing everyone!

On 12/19/2019 at 9:05 PM, sprinkles said:

hum, just to follow up to my above post.  After the cruise in October we decided to go back again and do a back to back.  Did the exact same thing both times.  The first week we had 18 cruisers we met follow DH and I .  It was a riot, we had to split up, to “lead” the groups.  We all made it in one piece.  DH led a group that included several handicapped.  One with a walker.  They rented a taxi for $4 , that took them to the ferry shack.  They made it to Carmelitas where we had several able bodied people who helped him get out to the beach and even into the water later.   A couple of ship workers even met up with us (then came back the next week again).

a side recommendation to anyone going mid November thru ?  The last week we went, the water seemed different and there was a definite need for water shoes as there were nasty spiky shells on the beach.  Happy sailing everyone!

No, light house past where you get on the boat to Stone Island. 

We loved Lety's.  Best fajitas we've ever had.  Very affordable and great service.  Location on the beach is great too.  We spent the whole day there.  Loungers and umbrellas are free with purchase of at least a beverage or two.  Have a great visit.

On 12/24/2019 at 1:49 PM, SarahJeanneSays said:

No, light house past where you get on the boat to Stone Island. 

On 12/20/2019 at 12:05 AM, sprinkles said:

Was it $4pp to the ferry shack or $4 per cab?  Thank you! 

On 10/20/2019 at 10:11 AM, sprinkles said:

Just got off our cruise last Sunday.  I always do Stone Island on our own.  We had a lot of new cruisers on our sailing and only two people were brave enough to join us (and had the time of their life).  First of all, honestly if you know your left from your right and can walk briskly for 10 minutes on a flat surface, you can find the ferry easily.  

Get off ship and take the shuttle through container area to the shops where many people are drinking and shopping.  Just keep walking through, ignore everyone offering you tours, taxis.  Anyone telling you, that it is too far to walk.

Get outside of the gate, you will see a block curving wall to your LEFT, just follow it (there will still be taxis asking you where you are going, just ignore them).  Honestly 10 minute walk by the wall.  It dead ends at a street, look up and you will see a sign (not new and neon, old paint that says stone island ferry).

Cross the street and walk down the uneven dirt road (you will start to see water. ). Pass the free roaming chickens .  You will see a small salmon colored shack (probably with some people just hanging around drinking). Go up to window, wait patiently for woman to end her phone call.  Pay $2 us pp for your round trip ticket (friend has pesos and I believe she paid 90 pesos).  Get your tiny tickets, walk to the right of shack and down the gangway to small dock at bottom.  When a boat pulls up, get in it. Expect to do it on your own (no one will be standing there trying to help you like on the ship tenders).

Short ride across water.  When you get out walk up short hill.  You can walk the beach which is long.  About halfway down you will see busier restaurants (tours go there)

OR you can jump in the back of a waiting truck (bed converted with benches and covered ) ask how much to Letys (should be $1 apiece).  There were other people in our truck who got out at the first stop (bear in mind that they are driving on a dirt road behind the restaurants you can,t see the beach during the ride).  We started to get out and our driver thankfully said no (as this was the stop in the middle of the beach).  When he stopped next time it was for us.  Directly between Lety,s and Carmelitas (which is actually where I always go. 

Ruben at Carmelitas is awesome and can set up massages (1 hour $30 us, hubby did this). (Atv 30 min for $20 friend and I did it).  Basically whatever you want ask them (I’m sure letys does the same.   Buckets of beer $1 apiece, awesome food.  Shad, sun loungers whatever.  I think we spent $200 (with generous tips) for all the above plus a bannaba boat ride steak nachos , shrimp tacos etc.

of note here, when the truck driver dropped us off , we told him to pick us back up at 5:30 pm (all aboard was 6:30 pm).  He was there early and Ruben knew what time we had to leave.  We walked onto the ship at 6:03 pm.

If you didn’t get or appreciate my humor, then you probably need to take an excursion.  If you “get it” then go on your own,  either way you will have a great time.  Question is how adventurous are you and how much do you want for your money.  Two ship friends who didn’t want to wait for us (as we waited for all who were invited ). Left on their own and then paid $30 apiece for a tour at the dock).

Hope this is helpful.  I found my way the first time years ago with detailed instructions from  CC.  We had such a great time and enjoying retirement we are doing it again in two weeks ,  Happy sailing everybody.

Ha ha......I loved your description of your experience because it is 100% exactly how it is!  We ALWAYS do stuff on our own, and have never had any problems or issues after 15 cruises and a family of teenagers (now) and even younger before.  Getting to Stone Island and Lety's was the EASIEST of any of our DIY tours......  We were the only ship there once, and walked to Lety's - literally like 10 mins down the beach.  Your directions are spot on!!  Anyone thinking of doing Stone Island on your own, this is the way to do it!!!!!!  We were the only tourists on the little boat across the channel....my kids loved it.. Everyone else were vendors mostly and a few locals.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, imluvncruzn said:

Was it $4pp to the ferry shack or $4 per cab?  Thank you! 

Hubby said it was $4 dollars total (he gave him $5).  He got that price outside of the security gate.  Just be firm, you will find someone willing to take you, it is a VERY short ride.  The driver tried to stop on the street but hubby pushed and said no, to the shack (as was the agreement) and the driver obliged..

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly, we were not impressed at all with Stone Island.  Thanks heavens we only paid $2.00 bucks each for the water taxi. We were there last week.  I would never swim in that water.  It was very uninviting.  The beach itself is hard sand having been squished by the ATVs.  If you want to sit and have some beers, fine, chairs and loungers not the cleanest in any of the venues.    Sewer smell as well.  Locales saying having issues with the sewage system.  We could not wait to get on the water taxi and high tail out of there.  

11 hours ago, pink845 said:

Honestly, we were not impressed at all with Stone Island.  Thanks heavens we only paid $2.00 bucks each for the water taxi. We were there last week.  I would never swim in that water.  It was very uninviting.  The beach itself is hard sand having been squished by the ATVs.  If you want to sit and have some beers, fine, chairs and loungers not the cleanest in any of the venues.    Sewer smell as well.  Locales saying having issues with the sewage system.  We could not wait to get on the water taxi and high tail out of there.  

Appreciate your commentary and opinion, although your experience seems to be the exception to the rule; as most visitors here rave about Stone Island, and we're in that group! 😎

On 10/20/2019 at 12:11 PM, sprinkles said:

Copying this entire post into my trip file for July...only question I have is....we are not a quiet bunch we would like to lounge at a place with a little action, you know music and such (will have 7 kids and teens)  Should we try another restaurant to hang at with our crew? any suggestions?

8 hours ago, acbat1 said:

Copying this entire post into my trip file for July...only question I have is....we are not a quiet bunch we would like to lounge at a place with a little action, you know music and such (will have 7 kids and teens)  Should we try another restaurant to hang at with our crew? any suggestions?

Hum, someone else might be able to comment on the restaurants in the middle of the beach.  But I honestly don’t think any of them “rock the music” like on Cabo.  My thought would still be to go to the end.  Lettys seems to draw the Mariachis for a little while, then they seem to leave.  Good luck, have a great time!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, acbat1 said:

As a general rule, you're not going to find a lot of 'party action', loud music blasting or any of that going on at Stone Island. Plenty of beach activities for sure, but none of that other stuff. Usually a few roving mariachis, but that's about it.

Stone Island is more of a laid back, relaxing day at the beach with great food and drink to enjoy.

• Like 1